• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealtorMatt

I am finally getting around to outfitting my Daniel Defense DDM4 V4 with sights & optics.

I purchased an Aimpoint PRO, and now am deciding what BUIS I want to install.

I was hoping to get some recommendations or reviews for the Magpul Gen 2 backup sights, and if I should consider those over the steel Troy BUIS that seem to be the standard.

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    I went with the ARMS 71L instead of the MBus. Just wanted something different than MBus sights which I had on another upper.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    You have invested in a high quality rifle. While the Magpul are "good for the money" it is hard to equal/beat the Troys. There are multiple threads on the forum on this topic. Use the search function. Don't rush to judgement based on a couple of responses to this one thread and make your decision after reading much more.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I've got Diamondheads and they are great! I found them at buds online for a lot less than what you can get them normally. They now have a polymer set that are cheaper but I heard they are just as good.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I have magpuls on two of my riffles and they work just fine especially for the money. However, I also have a set of Troys on another AR and LOVE those things. They are pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. I use to think what could possibly be so great about them? My magpul back up sights work so why spend the money? I bit the bullet and bought a set. Very well made and hold true. I also installed the Chevron post in the front sight. Im pretty happy with it.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I am finally getting around to outfitting my Daniel Defense DDM4 V4 with sights & optics.

I purchased an Aimpoint PRO, and now am deciding what BUIS I want to install.

I was hoping to get some recommendations or reviews for the Magpul Gen 2 backup sights, and if I should consider those over the steel Troy BUIS that seem to be the standard.

Troy's beat the magpuls handily. Since you bought a quality rifle and optic, you might as well use quality iron sights.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Magpul is good enough for a range toy if you don't plan to use the sights regularly. I only run Troy on mine (multiple times over). Pros and cons to either choice. Some will argue the Magpul can take more abuse and be functional, such as being dropped or slammed into a door casing. My bud who does forced entry for a living says otherwise after many years of experience with a variety of gear. He sticks with Troy. That's good enough for me.

RealtorMatt

Wow. Thanks for all of the good input on sights. My original thought was to go Troy due to the quality nature of the rifle and optic... I just wasn't sure if troys were just overhyped/priced due to the name.

Looks like I have more research to do.

Bisondice

Ultimate Member
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You have invested in a high quality rifle. While the Magpul are "good for the money" it is hard to equal/beat the Troys. There are multiple threads on the forum on this topic. Use the search function. Don't rush to judgement based on a couple of responses to this one thread and make your decision after reading much more.

+1:thumbsup:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Wow. Thanks for all of the good input on sights. My original thought was to go Troy due to the quality nature of the rifle and optic... I just wasn't sure if troys were just overhyped/priced due to the name.

Looks like I have more research to do.

Somebody had a troy set on sale for ~$160 a few months ago so deals do pop up from time to time.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm looking at the troys. My question: tritium front and back, tritium front sight, or no tritium necessary?

I run tritium Troy Battlesights in the rear. I run Meprolight posts in A2 fixed fronts. I love the Meprolight posts. Skinnier than stock with a bright tritium window that's easy to see in the dark. The Troy tritium rears have two tiny dots that are dim, as they should be. Just bright enough to get a nice sight window through to the Meprolight. Not bright enough to distract.

Tritium is entirely up to you. There's no right or wrong answer. A flashlight lets you ID a target. It also gives away your position from a mile away. The rifle is useless in the dark without some type of illumination, be it tritium iron sights, a red dot sight, flashlight, some combo, etc.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I run tritium Troy Battlesights in the rear. I run Meprolight posts in A2 fixed fronts. I love the Meprolight posts. Skinnier than stock with a bright tritium window that's easy to see in the dark. The Troy tritium rears have two tiny dots that are dim, as they should be. Just bright enough to get a nice sight window through to the Meprolight. Not bright enough to distract.

Tritium is entirely up to you. There's no right or wrong answer. A flashlight lets you ID a target. It also gives away your position from a mile away. The rifle is useless in the dark without some type of illumination, be it tritium iron sights, a red dot sight, flashlight, some combo, etc.
    Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom