• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    After thinking it over, i am going to try to build the upper myself; would like to get a quality forged upper (Rock River I guess), decent barrel (TBD), and I like the Midwest Industries hand guard, something like this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2470

I'm not an expert, but looks to me like I don't have to key the barrel nut. I've seen some You Tubes where the guy is jacking around trying to get the barrel nut to line up just right with the minimum required torque w/o over tightening. PITA. I like this MI solution.

I know I have to get something to hold the upper in a vice - guess I'll bite the bullet and get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Geissele-Aut...6666602&sr=8-1&keywords=geissele+reaction+rod

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    Does the quality of the upper matter as much as it would on a full size AR? Am I right in thinking that the super high quality upper assemblies for a rifle have more to do with precision accuracy and that for an AR pistol that isn't really necessary as it's use is most likely going to be close quarters as a PDW? Basically wondering if the PSA uppers are good enough or if there is any concern with a "lower end" upper for an AR pistol.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Does the quality of the upper matter as much as it would on a full size AR? Am I right in thinking that the super high quality upper assemblies for a rifle have more to do with precision accuracy and that for an AR pistol that isn't really necessary as it's use is most likely going to be close quarters as a PDW? Basically wondering if the PSA uppers are good enough or if there is any concern with a "lower end" upper for an AR pistol.

Would you want to make that "once in a lifetime" head shot on someone holding your loved one with a pistol you aren't sure of, accuracywise? I want all my builds a accurate as I can possibly make them.

I am going to true the receiver extension face, buy a quality barrel and seat it with green locktite, just as I would a 20" precision AR.

My 2¢

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    Would you want to make that "once in a lifetime" head shot on someone holding your loved one with a pistol you aren't sure of, accuracywise? I want all my builds a accurate as I can possibly make them. My 2¢.

I get that at "long" distances it's a huge impact. What is the real difference between these uppers/barrels at 30ft?

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    Would you want a PDF that shoots 5" groups at 15' or one that shoots 2" group s. The choice is yours. I wouldn't waste my money on a billet upper, if that's what you're asking, but I would not use one on a 20" gun either.

The question was mainly about the PSA stuff. They aren't top tier but a lot of people seem to like them. Are they "good enough" would be the concern for me. Something like this for example.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...melonite-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How accurate is accurate to you ?

To rephrase, what is your accuracy requirements for an AR pistol ? Average handgun sized groups at 15 yards ? Average rifle sized groups at 100yards? Somthing somewhere inbetween ?

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick

To rephrase, what is your accuracy requirements for an AR pistol ? Average handgun sized groups at 15 yards ? Average rifle sized groups at 100yards? Somthing somewhere inbetween ?

Since this would be pretty much something for inside the home I would want about the same accuracy that a handgun could get you at about 10-15 yards which I'm sure i could get with a top tier ($$$$) system/upper. I just really have no experience with PSA, obviously they won't be as good as a top tier assembly at long ranges because all of the tiny factors that affect trajectory exponentially at those distances but, would they perform pretty much the same at short distances? I guess that's what I mean by "good enough".

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I would expect at least 2 MOA with a scope or 4 MOA with irons from a supported position. With a stabilizing brace and long sight radius I would expect better than a run of the mill hand gun.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    After thinking it over, i am going to try to build the upper myself; would like to get a quality forged upper (Rock River I guess), decent barrel (TBD), and I like the Midwest Industries hand guard, something like this:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2470

I'm not an expe

I have a Midwest SSG2 on my .300BLK SBR, and it's a quality piece:
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=450

The one you're looking at is a development of mine, and it should be really nice.

The question was mainly about the PSA stuff. They aren't top tier

which I'm sure i could get with a top tier ($$$$) system/upper.

I don't mean this confrontationally, but you keep saying "top tier." What do you mean by that, and why doesn't PSA count? If it's branding, sure. But the trick about PSA (if you don't buy their budget lines) is that they get their components made for them by FN and other milspec manufacturers. Their forged uppers, for example, are forged by Anchor Harvey and machined by Aero Precision, their lower parts kits are made by LW Schneider, their BCGs are made by ToolCraft, etc. These are the same people (generally) who make the parts for places like BCM, etc.

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    I don't mean this confrontationally, but you keep saying "top tier." What do you mean by that, and why doesn't PSA count? If it's branding, sure. But the trick about PSA (if you don't buy their budget lines) is that they get their components made for them by FN and other milspec manufacturers. Their forged uppers, for example, are forged by Anchor Harvey and machined by Aero Precision, their lower parts kits are made by LW Schneider, their BCGs are made by ToolCraft, etc. These are the same people (generally) who make the parts for places like BCM, etc.

Basically that I don't know enough about PSA to say whether or not they would perform the way (or close to the way) a top tier manufacturer would (Noveske, DD, KA, etc..) at short distances. Which is what I meant by the "good enough" question. I would love to spend close to 1k for a pistol upper but if PSAs 7-10" pistol upper will perform pretty much the same at the short distances then I'd much rather use the rest of the money elsewhere. From what you are saying it seems like PSA is a good option for a pistol (short distance) upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom