• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Now this is my personal budget 3-gun upper to back up my primary. The criteria was ultimate accuracy, ease in shooting fast, and reasonable price.

1. Barrel- The heart of the Ar accuracy
    18" White Oak SPR barrel. 1/7 twist SPR profile Wylde chamber. My third and every one is sub moa. The 5th I've built and all 5 are sub moa with handloads.

2.Rail- Has to be light and feel good in the hand. Troy Extreme VTAC 11". Those with long arms may prefer a longer rail but this one fits be perfect.

3. Upper receiver- I use Mega but as long as it's a quality manufacturer it's not as important.

4. Gas block- Low profile and set screw. Daniel Defense gas block. Set screw is not the best way to do it but for a games gun it makes barrel swaps easier. Just be sure the barrel is dimpled and you use thread locker.

5. Muzzle device- I got a good deal on some Troy Medievil brakes and while they aren't the best they offer a good balance of value and performance.

6. BCG- I don't over think trying to tune recoil with less than reliable light BCG's. It's BCM here and forget about it.

Now here she is before assembly.
    183892_1632892311383_1508930307_31511941_2050534_n.jpg

And after assembly next to my Noveske waiting for the accuracy testing at the range. It's also wearing the Nikon M223 1-4x. IMHO a very good budget 3-gun optic.
    185965_1633027954774_1508930307_31512257_5183284_n.jpg

Now for the good part. I fired about 20 rounds down the barrel and then got down to accuracy testing. I fired two hand load groups of 55 Vmax's with H335 powder and Magnum primers. One with 24.5 and one with 25.0 grains of powder. Both loads were between .7 and .85 MOA at 100 yards. Now this is with a 4X optic with a 3moa center dot. There may even be more accuracy potential here. I zeroed it at 50 yards and will verify the 200 yard POI on the next range trip.

Total upper cost is right around 700$ or 950$ with optic.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    looks schweeet and awesome accuracy! know there are threads on this, but any magic, special tools, or things to look out for when building the upper, or is it as easy as the lower?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Say, is this for that budget AR build thread on Perfect Union?

I'm doing something similar, with a DPMS SPR barrel, YHM rifle length rail, and a Spike's upper receiver. I'm thinking a PWS FSC-556 brake would work great on this, and cut down on muzzle rise/felt recoil. Let us know how it shoots!

Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice build, Russ. What criteria did you use in selecting parts? Personal experience, or what champion shooters are using?

I've been considering a 3-gun-specific rifle, lately. I was just going to buy a varminter rifle, cut it back, thread it, put a JM brake on it and be done with it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've been considering a 3-gun-specific rifle, lately. I was just going to buy a varminter rifle, cut it back, thread it, put a JM brake on it and be done with it.

A varmint rifle barrel would be a little too heavy for this application. One of the guys who goes to the Black Creek 3-Gun match has a 16" varmint barreled AR and I don't know how he can swing that barrel around. His 16" upper weighs as much as my 20" SPR upper!

Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    A varmint rifle barrel would be a little too heavy for this application. One of the guys who goes to the Black Creek 3-Gun match has a 16" varmint barreled AR and I don't know how he can swing that barrel around. His 16" upper weighs as much as my 20" SPR upper!

Jim

Hmm. I feel like I have the opposite problem. I'm using a 16" light barrel/carbine length, and the rifle is really light; follow ups are time-killers, and accuracy is so-so after the barrel heats up. I was thinking of just adding a better brake, but hate to start spending money trying to convert a rifle to do something it isn't meant to do. This is what I'm shooting for 3-gun, now (on the left):

DSC_0413.jpg

Right now, rifle is definitely my equipment weak link. I'm trying to figure something out that will work better for me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hmm. I feel like I have the opposite problem. I'm using a 16" light barrel/carbine length, and the rifle is really light; follow ups are time-killers, and accuracy is so-so after the barrel heats up. I was thinking of just adding a better brake, but hate to start spending money trying to convert a rifle to do something it isn't meant to do. This is what I'm shooting for 3-gun, now (on the left):

DSC_0413.jpg

Right now, rifle is definitely my equipment weak link. I'm trying to figure something out that will work better for me.

I have something similar, except it's a 14.7" barrel with a pinned on A2 flash hider. I've used it in a couple of matches but nothing really long range, that's when I break out the SPR. After watching a few of the pros on 3-Gun Nation, it appears they're using SPRish ARs, which is why I'm building something similar to RussDs. An 18" free-float barrel with an SPR profile and brake seems like the optimal balance between moving between targets and controlling recoil. Once I finish my new upper, I'm relegating the M4 upper to HD duty.

BTW, how is your shooting stance? I noticed when I shot the M4ish carbine that if I hunch over versus standing upright that I can shoot faster.

Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    BTW, how is your shooting stance? I noticed when I shot the M4ish carbine that if I hunch over versus standing upright that I can shoot faster.

Jim

That's my stance: hunched, knees bent, leaning slightly forward. This stance also lends itself to shooting on the move (duck walking.)

I was going to base my 3-gun build on a competition-specific gun, like the ones that JP Rifles builds.

172.jpg

That's what led me to a varminter cut back to 18-20" with a comp added.

stag_arms_6l.gif

(Yeah, I want a lefty gun...)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's my stance: hunched, knees bent, leaning slightly forward. This stance also lends itself to shooting on the move (duck walking.)

I was going to base my 3-gun build on a competition-specific gun, like the ones that JP Rifles builds.

That's what led me to a varminter cut back to 18-20" with a comp added.

(Yeah, I want a lefty gun...)

I think you'd be better off getting a lefty upper receiver and building it yourself. I realize DPMS is not popular around here, but the SPR barrel and gas block I got from Midway is pretty nice and has the appropriate twist and is already threaded for a brake. I'm still waiting on parts, but I'm really hoping the new setup will work out the way I want it to. One of the folks on another board got the same barrel and he's quite happy with it.

Jim

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Ben-
    If you ever want to sell that 1-4x USO, please think of me.
    I'm going back and forth between buying a new one, but can not decide if any of their reticles are right for me.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Ben-
    If you ever want to sell that 1-4x USO, please think of me.
    I'm going back and forth between buying a new one, but can not decide if any of their reticles are right for me.

Sorry, that's the one piece I am sure about. :)

I'm really happy with it, and would definitely recommend one- built like a freakin' tank, and the optics are second to none.

The only thing I've been considering changing is the reticle. Right now, it's a simple crosshair with a 1 mil mark below the crosshair; When I bought it, I was thinking I'd rather have something simple. However, my 1.8-10X USO has a JNG reticle, and I really like it. Now, I'm thinking it would be a much better reticle for 3-gun.

get_image.php

Zoomed out to 1X, the heavy black circle looks almost like a small, black "donut" reticle; zoom it in, and it turns into a semi-precision shooting reticle.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What twist are you using and why? 1:7 for heavier bullets for more distance?

I'm using a 1:8 as I don't plan on using 80+ grain bullets for it, that's what I have the 6.8 SPC for :D I decided on this as it is good enough for what ammo I'm using and I'm not using it for 1000 yard competitions.

Jim

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The White Oak's I prefer come in 1/7 but shoot 55's just fine. If I ever need to step it out past 200 for a match it will also handle 75's and longer. Ben this build is planned from parts I have had success with and mimics the criteria I see most of the top level shooters using. I'd spend more on the break if this was my primary, but I have no doubts this upper will run with the best. My follow up shots are quick as the weight balance feels just about right. The WOA SPR barrel isn't heavy but it also isn't a light either. Ben you are welcome to come try it out at the Hap. I might go up Sunday morning. I've also got a 16" middy that I use for short range matches. If you want I'll bring that one also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom