• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    So I am contemplating building my first ar. Im pretty much set on starting with a Spikes punisher stripped lower. Here is a list on the other parts I am thinking about, and I would like your opinions on these and any cheaper alternatives without sacrificing quality.

LPK: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-SPKSLPK101

Buffer kit: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...nsion-assembly-sku080001039-56055-116241.aspx

Complete upper: http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu104.htm

Stock:https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_CTR_Carbine_Stock_MilSpec_Version_Bl_p/mag310-blk.htm

I would like to try to keep this at or below $750 if possible

Thanks in advance

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    What is going to be the end use of this rifle? Range fun, safe queen, classes and possibly home defense?

I don't have experience with that LPK, but since it's Spikes and so is your lower, they should work together OK.

The Brownell's buffer kit is mil-spec only in dimension, not in the material used. Milspec is 7075T6, the Brownell's is 6061. The correct milspec buffer weight is H, not carbine as provided in the kit.

Upper... Delton is not known for quality. It might work for you, especially if you don't plan on using it hard, but it may not.

The CTR stock is a good stock, even if not as popular as it used to be. It used to be almost $100, so that's a good deal.

If I were to make one suggestion it's that you go with a better quality upper. Your cost will go up, though.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    What is going to be the end use of this rifle? Range fun, safe queen, classes and possibly home defense?

I don't have experience with that LPK, but since it's Spikes and so is your lower, they should work together OK.

The Brownell's buffer kit is mil-spec only in dimension, not in the material used. Milspec is 7075T6, the Brownell's is 6061. The correct milspec buffer weight is H, not carbine as provided in the kit.

Upper... Delton is not known for quality. It might work for you, especially if you don't plan on using it hard, but it may not.

The CTR stock is a good stock, even if not as popular as it used to be. It used to be almost $100, so that's a good deal.

If I were to make one suggestion it's that you go with a better quality upper. Your cost will go up, though.

I agree, Delton while being cheap it comes at a cost. My buddy bought a complete rifle with the intention of using as a beater. Within a month he replaced the barrel (pie plate accuracy at 100 yards) Charging handle was replaced at 2 months, This was his fault i think he didn't pull straight back and the charging handle broke off (Perhaps had it been made a little better it would have survived, maybe not) The handguards cracked within 4 months and the rear sight adjustment was separating as the roll pins got loose. He could have kept the upper but he opted to buy a whole new upper which was probably the way to go for the little money he would have saved.

Truthfully it was one rifle and hardly a good sampling however, so many problem with one rifle, Ironically the lower on the other hand has stood up very well.

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    I like a free float rail on the upper, many more choices for sights, optics, etc.

I love the CTR stocks, lockup is great.

see if you can order from fewer vendors and save on shipping.

PS I hate cheaper than dirt but that is just me.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Here is the monster I have been working on. She still needs a muzzle break, Sig Brace and front sight. Also waiting for the gas block to arrive. My trigger guard was missing from my LPK so I had to request one from the seller. All told it is sitting at $750 currently less the optics. I will most likely replace the handguard and grip at some point but they will work for now. I also wish companies could agree what color OD green actually is. The paint for color filling the lower said OD green paint and the grip is supposedly OD green as well as the upper. The parts are a closer match in person but still shades off from one another.

Attachments

• arbuild.jpg
      arbuild.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 223

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I like a free float rail on the upper, many more choices for sights, optics, etc.

I love the CTR stocks, lockup is great.

see if you can order from fewer vendors and save on shipping.

Agreed. I like the fact that they don't rattle. Rattles piss me off, its small but an ar that rattles, screams cheap even if its not.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I used the spikes lpk in my two builds and I like it. Anything with a life time warranty is good for me. Might I suggest ordering the lpk and the stock from joe bob's. Anything over $80 is free shipping plus they are very fast. I order on Friday and it's in my mailbox Monday or Tuesday.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery

+1. I stay away from CTD personally.

I'm a big fan of DSG arms. You can also look for lower "build" kits (PSA has a lot) that include a LPK, stock and buffer assembly. $750 Is definitely doable, but if I were you, I'd save up and spend a little more on a quality upper. That's the beauty of building your gun...buy a few parts here and there so your wallet doesn't feel a lot of hurt at once. I've done one "budget" build, was unhappy with it, and ended up replacing the whole upper. Buy once, cry once.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County

Mostly just a range toy. Recommend any uppers?

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Thanks all. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality upper that wont break the banks?

Depends on your definition of "the banks". If you're looking or a complete HBAR upper and you're ever in the Rockville area, swing by Engage. They have some pretty sick setups. I'm partial to BCM, but I don't know if they sell any complete uppers with heavy barrels. You can also build your upper. In my experience building a few AR's, building the upper in pieces is where I've saved the most money (over buying a complete upper).

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Mostly just a range toy. Recommend any uppers?

Do you need it to be an HBAR upper?

If yes, go visit Engage Armament in Rockville and see what they have in stock / what they can put together for you.

If no, then I'd recommend BCM, especially with their current sale that includes the BCG. It'll be more expensive, but it will work and they will stand behind it. If looking for something less expensive, take a look at PSA, but be prepared to wait for them to ship it, and stay away from anything they sell marked PTAC.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    Do you need it to be an HBAR upper?

If yes, go visit Engage Armament in Rockville and see what they have in stock / what they can put together for you.

If no, then I'd recommend BCM, especially with their current sale that includes the BCG. It'll be more expensive, but it will work and they will stand behind it. If looking for something less expensive, take a look at PSA, but be prepared to wait for them to ship it, and stay away from anything they sell marked PTAC.

Yes, it needs to be an HBAR because I just do not see the appeal of ar pistols. And I do not want to jump through the sbr hoops...
    Ive never been to Engage, do you have an idea of their pricing for building a complete hbar upper?

Last edited:

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    Depends on your definition of "the banks". If you're looking or a complete HBAR upper and you're ever in the Rockville area, swing by Engage. They have some pretty sick setups. I'm partial to BCM, but I don't know if they sell any complete uppers with heavy barrels. You can also build your upper. In my experience building a few AR's, building the upper in pieces is where I've saved the most money (over buying a complete upper).

I would like to build my own upper, but I understand that it is much mor complicated/involved compared to lowers

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, it needs to be an HBAR because I just do not see the appeal of ar pistols. And I do not want to jump through the sbr hoops...
    Ive never been to Engage, do you have an idea of their pricing for building a complete hbar upper?

You'd be better off asking them directly, they don't bite. I know their prices vary based on the features.

I would like to build my own upper, but I understand that it is much mor complicated/involved compared to lowers

Someone on the sight may be able to help you put it together.

If you buy all the parts, it could be that Engage could put it together for you, but again, ask them directly.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    You'd be better off asking them directly, they don't bite. I know their prices vary based on the features.

Someone on the sight may be able to help you put it together.

If you buy all the parts, it could be that Engage could put it together for you, but again, ask them directly.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably pay them a visit within the next few weeks

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks all. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality upper that wont break the banks?

IMO, I'd rather buy components of a known quality and have it put together. Right now, I'm building up a pistol upper. Aero 7.5" nitrided barrel ($150), Aero upper ($79 w/all small parts installed), Spike's 7" SAR rail ($105). I already have the BCGs etc already. Aero also has a complete 10.5" upper for $365 (w/o BCG) and is of known good quality.

If you look around great deals are to be found on well made parts. I've seen the Hardened Arms/MAS defense/Radical Firearms uppers that are very inexpensive, and as tempting as they may be, I'm skeptical. Corners are being cut somewhere.

ETA I failed to see that you're looking for a rifle, not pistol. However, alot of the same rules apply. Look at Engage, BCM, Spikes, etc. Also WOA builds a hell of a shooter for not much money at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom