• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I think I've decided that I'd like to build my gun from the ground up for my next build, instead of a completed upper.

Can you guys point me in the direction of everything I'll need? I have an understanding of all the parts I'll need, but don't know where to get them, what company makes quality parts, etc.

This will be a bench gun, shooting long distances at paper, occasional hunting. I want to do a free float guard. What parts should I buy to make a nice reliable rifle, but also keeping a budget in mind. Say around 700 dollars give or take?

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    It is my understanding that you basically need everything you'd need for an AR, just substitute the .300 barrel.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    If $700 is your budget I'd say get in on some of the group buys currently going on.

There is an upper/lower group buy as well as one for triggers, BCG, and scope.

Already in on all of that action. I'm more or less looking for where to buy quality parts for a decent price. I know what parts I need, but as far as who makes what better, and who has the better price on what, I'm lost.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    palmettostatearmory.com and joeboboutfitters.com are both affordable and great. Brownells is pretty good too and has a bunch of videos and walk throughs on what tools you will need and how to do each step.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For my 300 build, here's what I've gotten done so far (it's a budget build as well) -

View attachment 65276

Lower - PSA, black friday sale $49.99 lower.
    Stock/buffer kit - PSA, standard A2 setup.
    LPK - Spike's Tactical with standard grip.

Now here's what applies to you, the upper (which is in progress) -

Stripped Blemished Upper - PSA, $50 something, they forgot to fill the T-markings on the rail
    Upper build kit - PSA, forget how much, but it was pretty cost-efficient.

Still have to get a few more components, but grand total is looking to be under $750 completed. For a range toy/deer gun, I don't think that's bad at all.

Your going to have options, barrels - you can drop $350 to $420 on the barrel/gas block alone, so consider what your main use for the upper is going to be.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    With 700$ you can afford a Noveske barrel. Start there and buy the BCG, stripped upper, small parts from PSA. That should leave you 200$ for some nice handguards. Noveske barrels come with pinned gas blocks so they really aren't a bad value at all.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    For my 300 build, here's what I've gotten done so far (it's a budget build as well) -

View attachment 65276

Lower - PSA, black friday sale $49.99 lower.
    Stock/buffer kit - PSA, standard A2 setup.
    LPK - Spike's Tactical with standard grip.

Now here's what applies to you, the upper (which is in progress) -

Stripped Blemished Upper - PSA, $50 something, they forgot to fill the T-markings on the rail
    Upper build kit - PSA, forget how much, but it was pretty cost-efficient.

Still have to get a few more components, but grand total is looking to be under $750 completed. For a range toy/deer gun, I don't think that's bad at all.

Your going to have options, barrels - you can drop $350 to $420 on the barrel/gas block alone, so consider what your main use for the upper is going to be.

Im pretty set on PSA's FB cold hammer forged 16". 280 bucks.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    For a little more you can get a stainless Noveske barrel with the gas block. Trust me, it's well worth it.

What he said.

Seriously, there are few better than Noveske, unless you're paying a ton more. There's two major splurges in an AR-15 build--barrel and FCG.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    For a bench gun and that budget I would say
    $450 noveske barrel
    $100 +/- for upper receiver
    $130 for LMT BCG
    Skimp on some tube style FF handguard.

Hunting I would want something lighter.

I would put all you can into barrel for anything of distance with this caliber.

More options and opinions to follow as there are many options.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For a little more you can get a stainless Noveske barrel with the gas block. Trust me, it's well worth it.

I still have my eyes on that 9" for a possible SBR later.

Your a bad influence Russ, but in a good way. ;)

The 16" Noveske barrel is where I'm blowing most of my wad on my build, I have to atone for past AR sins...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Finally after almost 6 mo of searching I found a Noveske 10"!

One step closer......Only two more months till the stamps come in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom