• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Don't know if there is a similar thread here anywhere, but I thought, with the impeding new laws that are possibly gonna impede our right to keep and bear arms, that a thread about finishing a lower would be a benefit to those who are thinking, but not sure if they can, build their own lower for an AR rifle or pistol.

Yes, it does take a bit of skill, but not a lot. A mill is an extremely valuable resource, but... not absolutely needed. Start with an 80% lower, drill and ream the holes for the FCG (trigger, hammer and selector), mill the pocket in three stages and viola! You now have a completed lower that you built yourself and as of the writing of this post, you can legally do it and not tell MOM about it.

You will obviously need some additional items, Lower build kit, upper assy, barrel, etc.. but those are starting to become more and more available as time goes on. The caveat is, if you don't do it now before 10/1, there is no certainty with the impending legislation (though it seems to still be evolving and getting better explained as we near the deadline),that you will be able to do so after that time, so... get to it! Build yer own!!

Drill/mill jigs make the process a heck of a lot simpler. The ones we build locate off the takedown and pivot pin holes in the 80 lower and have drill bushings installed to locate the three holes needed through the side of the receiver. They can be used to clamp the part in a vise, use a set of short parallels to allow clearance for your drill and reamer to clear through the holes when doing that op. Drill the holes a bit undersized and then ream them to the final diameter (you'll get a much more precise and cleaner hole).

Now flip that sucker upright in the vise, clamp it tight and now we are ready to cut some pockets out.. The drill jig will typically allow you to bolt a plate on top of the receiver, or multiples to perform the three step milling for the pocket. Our jig uses a master plate that bolts to the sideplates and then has interchangeable inserts that bolt into it to allow you to trace the outline of the initial milling area and step down until you have the proper depth cut. Swap out that plate, chuck up an longer LOC endmil and now trace out the cut for the deeper section of the pocket until you reach the final depth of cut. Be careful to not go too deep, as you will be close to the bottom of the receiver and you need some meat there (but it ain't gonna be much.. lol). Now, insert the final guide, swap over to a smaller endmill and make the final cut to break the cutout for the trigger through the bottom of the pocket...

At this point I would take the lower over to the bead blaster and give it a good once over to blend in any machining marks and also to rough up the outer surface so that when plated, it will have a matte finish. If you take it to someone that is going to finish it for you, they should be able to do this for you as well.

Okay.. you don't have a mill.. no shop, just an old drill press and a dremel tool.. Well, I've seen a thread on here about that and it worked, though it looked painful!! LMAO If you have access to a drill press, you are almost there. A few tools and you can make it work! You are going to need a decent set of drills, a couple reamers and a few endmills to complete the job.. oh and a decent vise to hold the part. Basically instead of step milliing it on a Bridgeport, you can drill away (set a depth stop to prevent drilling too deep on each op) with various sized drills to remove as much meat as you can, then use the appropriate endmill to clean up the leftovers.

A cross-slide vise is an indispensable tool for this as well, but again, I have seen creative individuals do this freehand on a drill press by clamping a guide on the table to help keep the movement straight along the X axis and then moving it as needed to help guide the part along as you trace the outline of the pocket using the jig.

The most critical part of the build is the location and size of the three holes through the sides of the receiver. Some drill them first, some do the milling to remove a mass of material and then drill the holes. I prefer the latter, as there is less chance of the drill walking if you are just punching through a thin sidewall on each side. The pocket is not all that super critical, as long as it allows free movement of the parts inside and proper mating of the upper and lower, it'll likely work just fine!

You can do it.. it ain't rocket science, you just need a few tools and you can, in fact, build your own AR lower. NO WAIT, NO PAPERWORK and only you know you built it.. unless you post it here on the thread somewhere... :lol2:

I need to get some pics, I'll try to work on that tomorrow, though I will probably not be at the shop where I can show em setup on the mill (too much on the chore list this weekend to hang out in the shop). If anyone else has pics of their builds, please post em up here to help others see what it's really all about. I know there are several threads about builds, I'll try to find some and link em here as well.

Oh.. most importantly, do some research on the net. There are tons of resources out there to assist you. The bible for building a lower from a raw, 0% forging is the Ray-Vin Tutorial. This is an INVALUABLE tool for those that wanna cut their own. The raw forgings used to be dirt cheap, less than $20, but.. there is a lot of work to get the hunk of forged alloy to a final, working part. Be smart and get a lower that is finished as far as the law will allow and still not be considered a 'receiver' and finish it up from there. There are partials out there (ours are complete except for the FCG machining) that have all the work done.. all the minutia holes completed, etc.. all you have to do is the FCG work and you have a working receiver!

The Ray-Vin Tutorial (it is several chapters and addendum's, save and print them all as a guide) -

http://arlower.ray-vin.com/ar15

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Or buy an 80% from midcounty and take it to the machine shop and have them show you how to do it, they won't do it for you, but they will walk you through step by step.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Or buy an 80% from midcounty and take it to the machine shop and have them show you how to do it, they won't do it for you, but they will walk you through step by step.
    Great option! :thumbsup:

The ATF seems to be cracking down a bit on CNC build parties, and I can understand why, but if you have access to a shop where they have the machinery and can guide you, that's the best of both worlds!

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Great option! :thumbsup:

The ATF seems to be cracking down a bit on CNC build parties, and I can understand why, but if you have access to a shop where they have the machinery and can guide you, that's the best of both worlds!

Do you have any documentation on the cracking down on CNC build parties?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Do you have any documentation on the cracking down on CNC build parties?
    It seems like Cali is the current target. Here is a post from another forum from an outfit that was cutting 80's and then allowing cnc builds to complete them. It appears that doing this in the same shop (the 80% and then finishing them there) is an issue to the ATF in the California area. I don't know if there are any issues out here yet, but... keep yer ears open.. lol

80% Lower CNC Rental Unfortunately, 80% CNC Rentals, LLC does not offer CNC rental build parties.

Our attorney, Jason Davis, who is also the attorney for Calguns Foundation, informed us today that he received a letter from the ATF saying "ATF does claim that you need an FFL (manufacturing license) to engage in the 80 to 100 percent business operations - even if others are pushing the buttons and performing all the steps on your machine at your facility". Based on this, 80% CNC Rentals stopped offering CNC Rental services.

There are a number of other companies still offering this service however. We've worked out a agreement with Arms Specialty and Tool in Orange to provide CNC rentals to our customers with 80% Arms lowers at special rate of $50 per lower. The regular rate for other brand lowers if $75.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    There are others too, that was just one I found that I had seen earlier...

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    It seems like Cali is the current target. Here is a post from another forum from an outfit that was cutting 80's and then allowing cnc builds to complete them. It appears that doing this in the same shop (the 80% and then finishing them there) is an issue to the ATF in the California area. I don't know if there are any issues out here yet, but... keep yer ears open.. lol

80% Lower CNC Rental Unfortunately, 80% CNC Rentals, LLC does not offer CNC rental build parties.

Our attorney, Jason Davis, who is also the attorney for Calguns Foundation, informed us today that he received a letter from the ATF saying "ATF does claim that you need an FFL (manufacturing license) to engage in the 80 to 100 percent business operations - even if others are pushing the buttons and performing all the steps on your machine at your facility". Based on this, 80% CNC Rentals stopped offering CNC Rental services.

There are a number of other companies still offering this service however. We've worked out a agreement with Arms Specialty and Tool in Orange to provide CNC rentals to our customers with 80% Arms lowers at special rate of $50 per lower. The regular rate for other brand lowers if $75.

Thanks. I can kind of see the ATF's point on that one. Not that I totally agree but a strong argument could be made.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, who is "manufacturing" the final receiver, the person who programmed the CNC mill or the person who pushes a button, but has NO idea of what is going on?

BATF seems to be taking the stand that it is the person who programmed the machine. And I don't have any issues with that.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Billet means it started as a cold block of aluminum and was cut out to shape with various mills, broaches, other tools.

Vs forged, means it started as a hot piece of metal that was struck in a press between two plates/molds that formed the outer profile.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have a question about the jigs. Most of the 80% lowers are forged I have one on backorder that's a billet, being that they are shaped different Can the same jig be used? I don't want to spend 100+ on a jig that may not work This is what I ordered http://www.rockethub.com/projects/1...apid-prototyping-of-80-lowers#description-tab
    Not necessarily... we design our jigs (the side plates) to fit our cnc'd 80% lower and also to fit a standard forged lower profile, but cnc'd partials can vary a lot in how they are deviating from the standard forged profile, that you can't be sure until you test it out...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It is a slippery slope right now and I suspect that they will be starting to look a little more closely at this type of build, we'll see in time, I am sure.. Can't say I argue with the CNC part.. there is a lot to writing the program to make the cuts needed... Nothing like turning the cranks to move the quill.. LOL

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Palmetto State Armory has had lower build and lower parts kits pretty regularly. They are mostly mil-spec triggers, but that's not a bad thing.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    The point is, who is "manufacturing" the final receiver, the person who programmed the CNC mill or the person who pushes a button, but has NO idea of what is going on?

BATF seems to be taking the stand that it is the person who programmed the machine. And I don't have any issues with that.
    I do. If the Govt has no problem giving guns by the thousands to violent Mexican drug cartels its clear they have no ones best interest in mind. Just another way to keep guns out of our hands.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

If the programmer never touched or even saw the actual end product then it would be quite a stretch to say they manufactured it.

I don't think it is that so much as it is how do they know the 80% place didn't make them 100% and then sell them that way. Since they are making the 80% lower and then the buyer has to take them to another shop to complete it is safe to say they aren't selling 100% lower that aren't properly documented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom