• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There's some clearly defined parameters from SCARCQB .

In that context , think 1776 era , and concieve the 12ga smoothbore as a higher rate of fire, more reliable version of a Brown Bess Musket .

In the concept of Buck & Ball , a single buckshot hit would discourage a Redcoat 100 yards away , and hopefully cause them to break off fighting . Quick sucuessive shots from a pump/ autoloading shotgun would be equivalent to one person volley fire . Also takes an 18th Century approach to wild pellets and bystanders not suitable for 21st Century lawyers and prosecutors , but in those circumstances , you gotta do what you gotta do . In 19th Century US , it was incumbent upon bystanders to duck , get behind cover , or absent themselves when gunplay is happening .

Sight in slugs for +/- 1.5 in high @ 50 yards , back to POA- ish @ 75 yda , 3-4 inches low @ 100 , beyond that aim at head to hope for torso hit , becoming moot as Foster style slugs become aerodynamically unstable

For handgun , 1.5 - ish inch high @ 25 yds .

With .38 spl / .45acp/ 147gr 9mm class guns , ( roughly ) on at about 50yda , 3-4 in low at 75 , 100 & beyond aim at head hoping for torso hit .

For .357 mag / .38 Super / .357 Sig/ light fast 9mm , same zero would be on at 75- ish 3-4 inches @ 100 , 125 and beyond aim at head for torso hit ..

Ray Savage

Nov 29, 2021
    If it's for home defense I would put that dot dead on at 15 to 25 yards. If not then zero it at the distance you are most likely to shoot

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the line of sight is too far from line of bore , zeroing at very close range will can induce significant varience at longer distances .
    If slugs are not a parameter , then might as well have dot aligned for farthest distance that produces 100% pattern . ( Other than SCARCQBCs context where Hail Mary lobbing for surpressive fire is a Thing) , Buckshot patterns will get too thin before pellet drop becomes meaningful .

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    PA ACss cqb reticle used with a 12g shotgun.

Attachments

• 34D528DA-9EC7-4191-B85A-B2F46D60B032.jpeg
      34D528DA-9EC7-4191-B85A-B2F46D60B032.jpeg
      15.4 KB · Views: 130

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    This is also something I am playing with but in a hunting scenario. Gonna start partaking in driven hunts down here in the swamp. Old school crew that runs deer and hog all use buckshot.

I’ve got a couple things figured out so far in terms of pushing my pattern farther and tighter. This weekend I’ll be testing and patterning my new Kicks Buck Kicker (xfull) with 3” copper plated buffered loads to develop my “long range” buckshot game. Couple guys in the group drop game regularly at 60-70yds with plenty of landed pellets.

All expectations lead to tighter than one would think to want at distances 25-35y, but most of MY particular shots will fall outside of that range. For good patterns at 45y and in, I have a Carlson’s buckshot choke that keeps the pattern nice with a capital N at those distances. And when I drop back down to a nine pellet load, house engagements would be considered blanketed.

656708fc9954ef25654c9f256fb49cbf.jpeg

Shotgun doesn’t often wear it’s extended tube, but it helps to know I have the ability to QUICKLY set it up to feed me ten shells at a time.

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom