• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    First, pattern your gun at various distances with the load you want to use. Then zero the red dot for the farthest distance where the pattern is still tight enough to be useful. I suspect it'll be around 40 yards, but that's a guess. You have to pattern your own combination.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I would think you'd zero for slugs, probably somewhere like 50 yds, then work back from there to see where you need to hold for buckshot loads. Buckshot's typically inside of 25 yards or so, although it can push out a bit further if using federal or hornady's wads. Beyond that, you'd got the changeover to slugs where you're much more likely to need the precision of the red dot. If just using buck with no planned use for slugs ever, then pattern the buckshot load you'll use to see how far out you can get with them all landing comfortably inside a man-size target and use that as your zero distance.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I would think you'd zero for slugs, probably somewhere like 50 yds, then work back from there to see where you need to hold for buckshot loads. Buckshot's typically inside of 25 yards or so, although it can push out a bit further if using federal or hornady's wads. Beyond that, you'd got the changeover to slugs where you're much more likely to need the precision of the red dot. If just using buck with no planned use for slugs ever, then pattern the buckshot load you'll use to see how far out you can get with them all landing comfortably inside a man-size target and use that as your zero distance.

Was gonna but frikkin hap baker was closed. Guess I’ll wait

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Yup, a red dot or really any adjustable sights on a shotgun ares a point of aim for slugs only IMO. For any shot load, it's a point of reference, and you need to be aware of the pattern at distance. That pattern and it's placement varies quite a bit for different loads , and it's much easier to use the dot as a "bead" to lead or hold over/under a target, especially a moving one. Typically I like to find slugs and shot loads that hit somewhat in the same place, that is usually Federal managed recoil slugs and managed recoil buckshot with the FC wad.

They hit right about the same place to around 35ish yards when the buck starts dropping away from the slug, and the pattern gets to be too big soon after. For birdshot in training, 1oz loads hit close enough to center, maybe a little lower out to 25 yards, so at least out to that distance it can be a decent training load for steel and fixed clay targets. This is pretty much how I set up my 3 gun shotgun, where I might need to be in a few MOA out at a 50-100 yard target with slugs, but just need to be aware where the center of the pattern will be out to 25 yards in relation to that point of aim.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Yup, a red dot or really any adjustable sights on a shotgun ares a point of aim for slugs only IMO. For any shot load, it's a point of reference, and you need to be aware of the pattern at distance. That pattern and it's placement varies quite a bit for different loads , and it's much easier to use the dot as a "bead" to lead or hold over/under a target, especially a moving one. Typically I like to find slugs and shot loads that hit somewhat in the same place, that is usually Federal managed recoil slugs and managed recoil buckshot with the FC wad.

They hit right about the same place to around 35ish yards when the buck starts dropping away from the slug, and the pattern gets to be too big soon after. For birdshot in training, 1oz loads hit close enough to center, maybe a little lower out to 25 yards, so at least out to that distance it can be a decent training load for steel and fixed clay targets. This is pretty much how I set up my 3 gun shotgun, where I might need to be in a few MOA out at a 50-100 yard target with slugs, but just need to be aware where the center of the pattern will be out to 25 yards in relation to that point of aim.

Awesome.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Red dots rock.thanks to Lou and the folks at continental in timorous what a nice place!

Attachments

• 0B73DCF8-8FDB-41D5-805F-4A8DF16E5E33.jpg
      0B73DCF8-8FDB-41D5-805F-4A8DF16E5E33.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 332

BADSHOT

Still Learning
    Dec 27, 2021
    How weird county
    We shoot targets at 40 yards with 7 1/2 shot. And use a target board with paper-2 shots and look where the most shot hits are. Adjust scope or sights and repeat.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    We shoot targets at 40 yards with 7 1/2 shot. And use a target board with paper-2 shots and look where the most shot hits are. Adjust scope or sights and repeat.

If that is your load and distance dujour, then that is the way to do it. problem is loads vary wildly, and choke matters. At 40 yards, the "ideal" pattern with a IC choke will only put about 50% of the pellets in a 30" circle, kinda hard to tell where the center is, it's a bit far for IC and M, but OK for small game or clays at that range. That pattern that can change substantially with different loads too, have seen one brand pattern like crap, another nice and round and a foot or two difference. Of course tight patterning buck within 25 yards is pretty simple "aim/shoot) too, but further out, shooting on the move, or at something moving takes more skill. For my defensive/3gun shotguns I pattern with slugs, buck and cheap birdshot, slug aim takes priority, then try to match other loads to that slug impact out to a useful range. That is part of the reason I LOVE federal managed recoil slugs/buck, they group tight, and hit close to the same place as birdshot. Full power slugs might hit at the top edge of the shot pattern, and other brands of buck tend to have wider or mis shapen patterns(Rem 00 tends to string and have flyers in my stuff).

Where you aim a rifle or even slugs, with a distinct trajectory and direct POA/POI relationship, being good with shot tends to have more feel, be more intuitive, and requires more data points and practice. I shoot sporting clays with my defensive stuff, it's fun, and I learn a lot, pretty much always put away my "civilized" Beretta and run my 22" 3gun shotty for a round every time I go to the clays range for that reason. It's not as simple as lining sights up, and pulling the trigger, it's more like sending out a dog to take down a rabbit. You point the shot where it needs to go while understanding where everything is, how far, how fast,how long it will take to get there, and changing the expected meeting point by feet at a time if needed, while having an expectation on how much shot needs to make impact, and making sure enough gets there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe too late to the party, but what is the intended use for the gun? HD or hunting or both?

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    It’s really quite dynamic, manufacturer being the biggest variable I’d say. Would like to play with chokes but keep the 18” barrel so not sure if or how effective they’d be.

Impressed by the primary arms red dot. Didn’t shake loose and didn’t shift.

Don’t have delusions of home defense but it is the gun I’d pick up if need be.

Attachments

• 04BE7891-7436-4002-BB1E-EDEB1DA45C31.jpg
      04BE7891-7436-4002-BB1E-EDEB1DA45C31.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 180
    • A7F481F3-ED58-41DC-A887-D9AC7CE62346.jpg
      A7F481F3-ED58-41DC-A887-D9AC7CE62346.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 158

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If that target from Continental was shot at 25 yds, I'd call that good(spread wise). Only recommendation I would offer is to try some slugs through it. It would be interesting to see where they land in relation to the 00 buck. If you can get a good zero while keeping in the same pattern zone as the buckshot, that's a bonus. Slugs can be a devastating option for HD as long as over penetration isn't an issue. Use "rifle slugs" since you are shooting smooth bore. Sabots are only good in rifled barrels.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I zero my M4 with a modified choke, using a 1oz slug at 25 yards. That’s the furthest I’ve shot using 00 buck shots. The pattern centers around the point of aim at that distance. Secondary zero is about 115 yards with a slug.

I have an m4 clone with an eotech. I also zero with a slug at 25 yards. The outer circle of the reticle surprisingly matches the buckshot pattern at that distance as well.

The best combat shotgun red dot sight imho is the primary arms acss cqb red dot. It has a circle/ dot reticle that is slightly smaller compared to an eotech. The outer circle perfectly matches the pattern of 00 buck ( Olin / win 00 buck) at 25 yards. The tip of the chevron can be used as a 25 yard aiming point for slugs. Then the BDC point can be used for 100 , 125, 150 yard(1 oz slug, cylinder choke, 18.50” barrel)

The m4 has the ability to use different chokes. I’ve settled with a modified choke . I’m also using 00 military buckshot for HD. And I’m staying with that. The gun, ammo , red dot , choke is a system that matches and compliment each other. In short, if I’m using buckshots , the big circle is pretty much where I’m
    Going to pattern at distances around 25 yards. For slugs , the center dot/ chevron works well up to about 125 yards.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I zero my M4 with a modified choke, using a 1oz slug at 25 yards. That’s the furthest I’ve shot using 00 buck shots. The pattern centers around the point of aim at that distance. Secondary zero is about 115 yards with a slug.

I have an m4 clone with an eotech. I also zero with a slug at 25 yards. The outer circle of the reticle surprisingly matches the buckshot pattern at that distance as well.

The best combat shotgun red dot sight imho is the primary arms acss cqb red dot. It has a circle/ dot reticle that is slightly smaller compared to an eotech. The outer circle perfectly matches the pattern of 00 buck ( Olin / win 00 buck) at 25 yards. The tip of the chevron can be used as a 25 yard aiming point for slugs. Then the BDC point can be used for 100 , 125, 150 yard(1 oz slug, cylinder choke, 18.50” barrel)

The m4 has the ability to use different chokes. I’ve settled with a modified choke . I’m also using 00 military buckshot for HD. And I’m staying with that. The gun, ammo , red dot , choke is a system that matches and compliment each other. In short, if I’m using buckshots , the big circle is pretty much where I’m
    Going to pattern at distances around 25 yards. For slugs , the center dot/ chevron works well up to about 125 yards.

Excellent. Exactly what I was talking about. If it's gonna be a multi-use gun, better to figure out its capabilities as well as its shortcomings. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big differences in Buckshot performance and expectations . Specialized handloads thru specialty chokes can group tighter at 80 yards than generic unplated buckshot thru cylinder bore at 25 yards .

Without getting into the weeds , this thread is * probably* intending to discuss off the shelf Buckshot loads , and typical general purpose shotguns .

The practical limiting factor is going to be pattern spread , and at the farther end of that distance the spread makes small differences in sighting zero largely moot . ( And debate in itself as to what constitutes useful and effective pattern spreads . )

Default suggestion of starting point - Zero for your preferred Slug zero ( again a discussion in itself ) . Then test with Buckshot . If pattern usefully overlaps within the closest of plausible SD distance , or limit of patterning range , pat yourself on the back , and declare Victory ! If not make decisions about priorities and compromises .

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    In another country where I spend a considerable amount of time at. Centerfire rifles have been banned. And if you happen to have one that’s grandfathered in. Finding a place to shoot is almost impossible. Pistols and shotguns are still allowed.

Then, the most common threat that most will encounter in the “ don’t go there “ areas are armed with assault rifles. This situation mandates that defenders learn long range shooting with a pistol or a shotgun ( 100-150 yards).

I found out that a shotgun slug will shoot flat up to about 125 yards then drops quickly at distances beyond that. There’s not much holdover when zeroed at 25 then shot all the way to 125 yards. You can probably hit an 8” steel plate to that distance with a little practice. Man sized targets can be hit up to 150 yards . Usually aim for the head and error on hitting lower by about 8”.( com hits)

00 buckshots at 100 yards will spread about 5-6 feet.
    It’s still useable at that distance for suppressive fire. It will keep heads down while you try to evade.

The 45 ACP from a 1911 behaves like a 1oz foster slug in terms of trajectory. Zero at 25, secondary zero around 106 yards.

Red dot / reflex sights with circle -dot reticles or the acss cqb reticle shine for this application. The acss cqb is so much more useful as it makes shooting buck and slugs easier , even at extended ranges.

Is this system the best? Not really. I’d rather have a rifle. But sometimes its the only option that you have. So , take it to the limit.

Attachments

• 52CA839B-FAEA-4B78-BB9B-4E1B0CE5260B.jpg
      52CA839B-FAEA-4B78-BB9B-4E1B0CE5260B.jpg
      80.6 KB · Views: 152

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    For eotech users. The 65 moa ring translates to about 5.4 feet diameter at 100 yards. This closely matches the spread pattern of military buckshot at that distance( about a 6 ft spread ). Just an fyi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom