• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Well, after all the magazine changes and pistol modifications, it's still jamming the round in the chamber after 3-4 rounds. I give up on this. I've spent way too much time and way too much money. I guess it will sit in my safe and look pretty for a while...LOL

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well, after all the magazine changes and pistol modifications, it's still jamming the round in the chamber after 3-4 rounds. I give up on this. I've spent way too much time and way too much money. I guess it will sit in my safe and look pretty for a while...LOL
    Well I am sort of a self taught expert on the Buckmark since I have been shooting them competitively in speed events for around 5 years. If we could get together at a range I could likely sort out the issue. What mods have you done? Heggis flip? Silhouette sear spring? Tac Sol barrel? Any magazine mods? OEM over-travel trigger? Firing pin mods? Older or newer model? What ammo have you tried? PM me with a list. I don't know where your town is but I will be all over MD/PA/WV this month.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Have you dry fired it? Even if not, is the chamber peened? Buckmarks must never be dry fired. If the chamber is peened, that's the cause of the jams and you'll need a chamber ironing tool to repair it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777754/menck-chamber-ironing-tool-22-rimfire
    Actually that is BS from Browning. A lot depends on whether it is an older or newer BM. Older models did not have the firing pin go as far forward as newer ones. Those are plenty safe to dryfire till hell freezes over. My 1994 open class racegun has about 50K rounds thru it and likely as much as 5k-10k dry fires also. No peened breech even after lengthening the FP travel by reeming out the FP retaining pin hole some. However older guns could get a lot of light strikes after a lot of crude builds up on the breech and slide face. So when Browning changed the slide and firing pin assembly in 2001 they lengthen the travel and also said not to disassemble the gun to clean it (go figure). Most of the newer guns come from the factory peened from test firing. Normally it is a non-issue but sometimes a burr of metal from the peened spot will hang down into the chamber causing misfeeds, chambering, and extraction issues. There are different ways to clear any excess metal out, that tool being one of them.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Actually that is BS from Browning.

Most of the newer guns come from the factory peened from test firing. Normally it is a non-issue but sometimes a burr of metal from the peened spot will hang down into the chamber causing misfeeds, chambering, and extraction issues. There are different ways to clear any excess metal out, that tool being one of them.

It's certainly not BS from Browning. Any peening is a problem. Browning does not send out new pistols with peened chambers. The peening is from people dry firing them in stores, including store owners/employees. New Buckmarks can/will peen the chamber on the first dry fire. Once the chamber is peened, rounds will tend to get hung up and jam. Any additional dry firing compounds the problem until chambering a round is impossible. I'm not speculating. I'm stating fact.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I took a hi-res image of the chamber. I can't see anything wrong with it.

http://www.tylerfirearms.com/images/buckmark.png
    Thanks for the picture. I don't see anything in the way of peening either but I do see something I would correct on it before using it in competition. The transition between the feed ramp and the bottom of the chamber is not smooth and in fact that small flat wall of the breech just above the feedramp needs to be stoned out until it is a smooth transition. I have seen hollowpoint ammo get caught on that small lip there depending on the angle at which the round gets fed from the magazine. The most dangerous tool anyone can use on a firearm is a Dremel tool, but in this case it is the correct one. A small conical medium stone bit can smooth that right out fairly easily. If rounds are hanging up on the top and there is no burr it is likely a case of the mag feeding at the wrong angle. Usually a case of the mag feed lip shape or the mag is going too far into the mag well and the lips are sitting too high. The latter can usually be fixed if you open the top edge of the mag release slot a little to allow the mag to latch slightly lower in the frame. Adjusting the feed lips is a hit or miss proposition. Personally I like to buy a bunch of mags and see which ones work well, then sell off the ones that don't. I have 2 BM raceguns, one iron sighted (1990) and my C-More equipped open gun (1994). There are some mags that will not latch in the 1990 gun that work fine in the 1994. Most of the mags work in both guns. The old style small baseplate ones that came from the Buckmark Challenger II/III models work in everything (original mags in 1990 but not by 1994). Sometimes a gun has a slight tolerance issue that you either live with or fix.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I see it has a metal rear sight base. Did it come with this new (would make it an older gun) or is this something that was added because later guns came with a plastic sight base (yuck!)?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It's certainly not BS from Browning. Any peening is a problem. Browning does not send out new pistols with peened chambers. The peening is from people dry firing them in stores, including store owners/employees. New Buckmarks can/will peen the chamber on the first dry fire. Once the chamber is peened, rounds will tend to get hung up and jam. Any additional dry firing compounds the problem until chambering a round is impossible. I'm not speculating. I'm stating fact.
    Sorry that is BS. I have seen newly arrived guns in sealed boxes that are peened from the factory. If you check RimfireCentral.com's Buckmark section you will find real info on issues like this not made up opinions or assumptions. Browning in all those cases says when the customer calls in about it that it is a non-issue but all of us serious owners know that it can be. You will find there are people who have had dealers unbox all their newly arrived BMs and all of them are peened from the factory, bar none. Of course if they sit in the display case for awhile they may get worse from customers doing it but that does not mean Browning has not done the same thing when testing the action before boxing a gun up (actually made for Browning by a company in Utah, not made by Browning in a few decades).

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I took a hi-res image of the chamber. I can't see anything wrong with it.

http://www.tylerfirearms.com/images/buckmark.png

Seeing your feed ramp inspired me to compare it to my newest Buckmark (maybe 9 months old, no feed issues). My ramp looks like yours, with the same pronounced step between the top of the ramp and the bottom of the chamber. Assuming your magazine is good, I think the next items to check are the slide spring and the small plastic retainer at the end of the spring. Make sure the spring is good, the plastic piece is not damaged, and that it's assembled correctly. It's possible that the spring is bad.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Sorry that is BS. I have seen newly arrived guns in sealed boxes that are peened from the factory. If you check RimfireCentral.com's Buckmark section you will find real info on issues like this not made up opinions or assumptions.

Take a closer look, with a magnifying glass if necessary. At least some new Buckmarks are coming with a shallow, milled slot above the chamber where the firing pin strikes. You'll see that it's not peening, unless perhaps somebody in the supply chain is dry firing as part of generating a spent shell casing.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Like I asked before what mods were done on it?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Take a closer look, with a magnifying glass if necessary. At least some new Buckmarks are coming with a shallow, milled slot above the chamber where the firing pin strikes. You'll see that it's not peening, unless perhaps somebody in the supply chain is dry firing as part of generating a spent shell casing.
    Now that a pretty dumb statement if you think about it. A shell casing can only be generated by firing the gun. You don't have unfired cases lying around to use for that. So it can't be peened from that if a case is in the chamber. The spent casing is generated at the factory in US made handguns. Some foreign companies don't do that and then a state certified person has to do it when it gets to the dealer.
    There is no "milled" slot and Browning admits that. Stop trying to make things up. For one thing post 2001 BMs can be found with either LH or RH beveled firing pin tips so a "fixed" milled slot would not work because the impact of each type is slightly off center to one side or the other. Only the pre 2001 BMs had the bevel on the same side (right side).

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Now that a pretty dumb statement if you think about it. A shell casing can only be generated by firing the gun. You don't have unfired cases lying around to use for that. So it can't be peened from that if a case is in the chamber. The spent casing is generated at the factory in US made handguns. Some foreign companies don't do that and then a state certified person has to do it when it gets to the dealer.
    There is no "milled" slot and Browning admits that. Stop trying to make things up. For one thing post 2001 BMs can be found with either LH or RH beveled firing pin tips so a "fixed" milled slot would not work because the impact of each type is slightly off center to one side or the other. Only the pre 2001 BMs had the bevel on the same side (right side).

Provide relevant cites from Browning regarding new Buckmarks.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Like I asked before what mods were done on it?

I haven't done any customization to the pistol other than replace the sear pin, the hammer pin, the recoil spring guide assembly and the buffer. I bought it used and don't think the previous owner(s) did anything special to it. As soon as I get home I'll post pics so you can see if anything was done different from the standard model.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Seeing your feed ramp inspired me to compare it to my newest Buckmark (maybe 9 months old, no feed issues). My ramp looks like yours, with the same pronounced step between the top of the ramp and the bottom of the chamber. Assuming your magazine is good, I think the next items to check are the slide spring and the small plastic retainer at the end of the spring. Make sure the spring is good, the plastic piece is not damaged, and that it's assembled correctly. It's possible that the spring is bad.

I replaced the entire guide rod and spring assembly. When I first got it, the buffer was cracked and I replaced that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom