• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Sourced some parts from Sarco and other avenues and decided to revive a non import marked Savage N04MKI* action. Ole Cholly came through and sent an unis-sued barrel for $45 and the other bits came helter skelter. I added a piece to the homemade Arisaka wrench to mate up tight with the bottom of the body and clearanced to fit the lug reinforce for stock lock up where it fits into the bushing. You have to have a no slip hold here because damage to the well of that lug will wreck everything. I parted the old two groove barrel to avoid damage when dismantling the old barrel for the test run of the improvised wrench. When everything was apart I checked bolt lug fit with dye chem, verified the chamber to make sure it was .303 and lightly sanded the stock parts which are a mixture of beech and walnut be fitting of a mutt rifle. After making sure the chamber would swallow a 303 cartridge, I screwed everything together. Luckily the barrel was under-timed a few degree's and didn't need a breaching washer made to get index spot on. (whew) Here I used a few levels for a calibrated eyeball lacking a parallel gauge and according to Peter Laidler's instruction found the knox-form to be slightly off from the front sight base. So later on Ill use a sheet of plate glass and the front site guard which has to fit tight, and the rear sight axis and a drill rod suspended between two trued blocks and rested on the guard ears to check for square. Preliminary checks by bore sighting on the chicken house security light 250 yards away were promising. The light balanced like a disco ball on top of the front sight through the bore and maybe the front site base wont be off in outer space. Later on I ll check HS and fit bolt head to bolt body to make sure its right. My parts arrived with a fore-stock with tight draws and a brand new Savage butt-stock that I didn't use because the color of the beech was way off so if anybody wants to do an easy horse trade up to $20 let me know. Assembled rifle looks good but I cant pick the picture up but here are some of the build and wrench mods in case anybody wants to make one. breech 3.JPG

Breech 2.JPG

Breech.JPG

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    So that's the action wrench your son made for you. Looks like a good wrench and good work.
    I hope she shoots well after all that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom