• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    Ive owned several 9mm's but have heard alot about the Browning Hi Power being the ultimate even tho I thought my P228 was LOL, but I would like to know if anyone can chime in, do you have one? and which is the better to purchase the older? or newer manufacture or would it even make a difference?

Ive owned several 9mm's but have heard alot about the Browning Hi Power being the ultimate even tho I thought my P228 was LOL, but I would like to know if anyone can chime in, do you have one? and which is the better to purchase the older? or newer manufacture or would it even make a difference?[/QUOTE

As a Hi Power owner, I'm a believer. That said, there are a few things that go along with the package. First, you've got to feel comfortable with single action semi-autos. I do, some don't. Second, unless you buy used and a previous owner's already had the work done to your satisfaction, every Hi Power needs some work to bring the trigger up to what it should be. This may include changing out the hammer and sear. Third, those walnut or black plastic diamond-checkered factory grips have got to go. Get yourself some proper grips (there's dozens of choices) and you're good to go. Fourth, hammer bite is a part of the deal for many, if not most, shooters. There are ways of dealing with this, including the aforementioned hammer change.

Properly set-up, there is no more comfortable, easily handled 9mm than the old Hi Power, at least IMHO. I'm teaching my son to shoot with one, and he's taking to it like a politician to money and power.

Last edited:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    When god shoots 9mm he shoots a high power!

THe high power seems to fit in everyones had very well. there is a very natural feel and pointing the gun seems so easy. I own about a dozen of them made from 1938 till the early 90's all of them work and shoot fine.

Comparing a high power to any modern poly/striker fired gun is like comparing apples to groundhogs two totaly diffrent beasts.

embrace the glory of the high power true art in steel and wood!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

THe high power seems to fit in everyones had very well. there is a very natural feel and pointing the gun seems so easy. I own about a dozen of them made from 1938 till the early 90's all of them work and shoot fine.

Comparing a high power to any modern poly/striker fired gun is like comparing apples to groundhogs two totaly diffrent beasts.

If it didn't have that stupid magazine safety, it would be perfect. I'll keep my CZ-75, thanks :)

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    magazine safety? That went years ago, took maybe 5 minutes.
    The magazine safety would be more of an issue if the gun held 7 rounds but with a Hi Cap mag, I would hope tactical reloads under pressure wouldn't be an issue unless you have made some very very bad decisions.
    Removing it does improve the trigger pull though.
    My real issue is it doesnt come in 45 acp.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ive owned several 9mm's but have heard alot about the Browning Hi Power being the ultimate even tho I thought my P228 was LOL, but I would like to know if anyone can chime in, do you have one? and which is the better to purchase the older? or newer manufacture or would it even make a difference?
    If I were you, I'd buy an Arcus 94. In the HP community, they have a very good rep, and they're cheap. I just don't think the genuine Browning HP is worth what FN charges for it these days when the Arcus is available.

I personally bought an old Kareen MkII for the Israeli connection. Slide's finish was almost completely gone, the mainspring was weak, and there was some serious holster wear on the frame. Some pitting on and under the slide release, too. It's currently at the Action Works getting a trigger job (3.5#-4#), Novak tritium sights, new slide release, reliability work, and refinishing. That's why I suggested a new Arcus - if you just want something to plink with, it's way more ready out of the box.

Compared to a double-stack 9mm 1911 (RIA 1911A2, Para 18, STI2011, etc.), it's... different. Not worse, per se. You can get a flush 20rd mag for your 1911, but a 20rd magazine will stick out some on a BHP. You will also never get the trigger on a BHP as light as on a 1911, but you can get it to a pretty excellent pull (with the mag disconnect safety removed). I personally think I shoot better with the HP, but that won't be true of everyone.

I think Jim's suggestion of looking at a CZ-75 has some merit, too, especially if you'd like something DA/SA. I don't own any polymer striker guns, so I can't compare to those.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I personally think if Browning had lived another 10 years he would have come up with the CZ.

I will give you that, after all as a brother of the 10mm, you do get some bonuse points.:lol2:

The high power or grand repeater as it was orignally envisoned buy the french was a horrable hunk of crap till John Browing got a hold of it and revised the orignal design. John browing never liked the mag safety he was reported to have said at one time " I fixed the flaws in my 45 design in this gun". Meaning all the things he did not like about about the 1911 he did not put in this design.

I do like the cz 75 its a fine fire arm and does not get the respect it deserves here in the us.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Get one Nazi marked!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

You not such a bad wodsmith yourself.

As for the BHP, every man should own one in addition to a 1911.

Sure it may have been modified after JMB's passing but it is still his gun and the design was so superior that it was adopted and used by both sides in Dubya-Dubya Deuce.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You all know what we call the Hi-Power was finished by a Belgian, Dieudonné Saive. Mr Saive also was responsible for the FAL. Saive and not Browning was responsible for the final design of the Hi-Power.

One thing about the CZ-75, if you get either an older -75 or a -75B, in order to use the DA function you must pull the trigger while holding the hammer back and carefully lower the hammer. Not what I would call a safe thing to do. True there are now some versions that forgo the original design and use a hammer drop, but to me that is no longer a "CZ-75".

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One thing about the CZ-75, if you get either an older -75 or a -75B, in order to use the DA function you must pull the trigger while holding the hammer back and carefully lower the hammer. Not what I would call a safe thing to do. True there are now some versions that forgo the original design and use a hammer drop, but to me that is no longer a "CZ-75".

Why would I want to do that? Mine has a safety so I can carry cocked and locked. The double action is there not so you can lower the hammer but to hit a primer twice if it didn't go off the first time.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why would I want to do that? Mine has a safety so I can carry cocked and locked. The double action is there not so you can lower the hammer but to hit a primer twice if it didn't go off the first time.

I read somewhere that one of the combat style shooting groups requires a person who uses a SA/DA pistol to fire the first round DA. Great if you have a SIG P226 or Beretta 92, not that smart with a CZ. The info was on another forum and several people agreed with the guy who first wrote that. I was dumbfounded that some RO would require a shooter to pull the trigger on a loaded gun in order to lower the hammer.

I am also a follower of Col. Cooper and the idea of cocked and locked. Hell, a HK USP in Variant 1 was a great design. That gun could also be carried cocked and locked just like a 1911 or P35, but you also could safely drop the hammer if you wanted to.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I read somewhere that one of the combat style shooting groups requires a person who uses a SA/DA pistol to fire the first round DA. Great if you have a SIG P226 or Beretta 92, not that smart with a CZ. The info was on another forum and several people agreed with the guy who first wrote that. I was dumbfounded that some RO would require a shooter to pull the trigger on a loaded gun in order to lower the hammer.

I am also a follower of Col. Cooper and the idea of cocked and locked. Hell, a HK USP in Variant 1 was a great design. That gun could also be carried cocked and locked just like a 1911 or P35, but you also could safely drop the hammer if you wanted to.

That's odd. I know I had to activate the safety on mine when I was using it during a few IDPA matches, but I didn't have to lower the hammer. I'll have to look at the rules again.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

^This! (All of it) :party29:

I have a newer production BHP, and for me I will not own another 9mm, the BHP has just been that enjoyable for me that I don't feel the need to add another 9mm.

The night I inherited mine, that infernal mag disconnect came out and the sear got a light polish - I have smaller hands so I still get some hammer bite when I use a high grip, but for the accuracy I can get out of the BHP using even Wolf ammo, I'll gladly forgive that minor transgression on it's part.

Every one should have a BHP at some time in their life.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    ^This! (All of it) :party29:

I have a newer production BHP, and for me I will not own another 9mm, the BHP has just been that enjoyable for me that I don't feel the need to add another 9mm.

The night I inherited mine, that infernal mag disconnect came out and the sear got a light polish - I have smaller hands so I still get some hammer bite when I use a high grip, but for the accuracy I can get out of the BHP using even Wolf ammo, I'll gladly forgive that minor transgression on it's part.

Every one should have a BHP at some time in their life.

I don't care what Lord Chad said about your piston ar you sir, are a wise man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom