• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I bought a safety catch from SARCO years ago for a P35 Dad brought back from the war. I lost it and found it. I install it correctly with the ejector plate pointing downward BUT it won’t seat properly. I notice an ever slight bend in serrated plate section. I guess a Neanderthal pried on it. Can’t seem to find one anywhere. Called SARCO and AMI and nothing. Waiting for Jack First to open but I am not hopeful. Any suggestions as who to call would be greatly appreciated.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    There are several on Gunbroker. Just search Browning Hi Power, then small pistol parts.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    There are several on Gunbroker. Just search Browning Hi Power, then small pistol parts.
    Thank you for reply. I had done searches but by that P35 model which is different than modern models and didn’t see any. I will type that search as you suggest after I get home from being on a road service call.
    Thank you again, very much.
    Nick

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    No dice on both of those vendors. One has a modern ejector and other site, the safeties are modern.
    I do thank you both for the suggestions.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Why don't you post a photo of what you're looking for? You also might want to try the highpowerscollectors.proboards.com or 1911forum.com (It has a fairly active hi power section.) Good luck.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Why don't you post a photo of what you're looking for? You also might want to try the highpowerscollectors.proboards.com or 1911forum.com (It has a fairly active hi power section.) Good luck.
    Will do, thank you.
    In image is the original safety that had the top fit that hold back the side to take the tension off of the slide take-down pin before field stripping. Other is defective replacement.
    2308CC40-44C1-44B4-836C-8A514299B680.jpeg

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I'm no Hi Power expert by any stretch, but I think you may be overthinking this one. I don't believe the safety catch changed until the later models with the long ambidextrous safety.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I'm no Hi Power expert by any stretch, but I think you may be overthinking this one. I don't believe the safety catch changed until the later models with the long ambidextrous safety.
    Unfortunately I am not. The detent set up is different post P35 and THEN they went ambidextrous.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    have you tried gunparts.com/numrich?
    Hi Mark,
    I did a few months ago. Guy said they were like hen’s teeth. He said the companies like them, SARCO ect., for years had been buying foreign military surplus spare parts lots but they have pretty much dried up. I believe they were one of the companies that have a “ Email me if it comes back in stock” thing.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I’m going to try to snag a spare extractor. The P35 had an internal extractor. It was a problem so they went to a more robust one and was external.
    JM Browning designed the Hi Power to be a refinement of the clunkyish 1911 that he designed. He died before finishing it. The top guy at FN at the time finished it. The French were first to put a contract in but they stipulated that it have a magazine disconnect safety soo.., pretty much out of the gate, the Hi Power has had that feature.
    Nazis took over the factory for a few years. A head guy from FN took the factory records to France after the Nazis fled the factory at the end of the war. They can now be found on line. I think that I found Dad’s serial number as being a 1941 BUT that was about ten years ago that I researched so memory might be off by one year.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Wooowhoo! Found a guy in Canada on EBay. He had a NEW one for a Canadian Inglis P35 Hi Power. It’s super mint. Fact that it is not made in Belgium does not bother me.

Attachments

• A6615DE0-9A45-4A74-AF8D-29F4787B5BE9.jpeg
      A6615DE0-9A45-4A74-AF8D-29F4787B5BE9.jpeg
      408.8 KB · Views: 12

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Wooowhoo! Found a guy in Canada on EBay. He had a NEW one for a Canadian Inglis P35 Hi Power. It’s super mint. Fact that it is not made in Belgium does not bother me.
    Try to fit and no dice. It get tight when seated. I’m not seeing it. Feels like maybe .0015-.002 off. I did notice the serrated thumb pad is full length opposed to broken original but that has nothing to do with the fit. The one that I bought from SARCO years ago is the same.
    There is also a shaved profile on the original and SARCO that is not present on the Canadian Inglis one that I just got but I do not visually see when fitted how it is causing tightness.
    It’s seem the war and slave labor might be at play.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Slap some black Sharpie on it and fit it by light stoning or fine filing, sanding and polishing.

A lot of gun parts are NOT drop in parts. Especially safeties.

Search online videos for how to fit a P35 safety properly.

PS: Don't force anything. The rub marks will tell you what to do. Slow and steady wins the race.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Slap some black Sharpie on it and fit it by light stoning or fine filing, sanding and polishing.

A lot of gun parts are NOT drop in parts. Especially safeties.

Search online videos for how to fit a P35 safety properly.

PS: Don't force anything. The rub marks will tell you what to do. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Haven’t been forcing. It has a very delicate post on shaft that acts like a key to go through a keyway in the hole in the extractor plate. I have watched a P35 video. I am doing it correctly. I have tried creating the witness marks as you suggested but It’s not making any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom