Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Here it is a Luger M-80 made by FEG

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary, right?

My question is about different people sighting it differently. My cousin and I have to sight it with the tip of the front blade very slightly above the rear sight. We both see a little bit of the barrel in the bottom of the rear notch when the POI is going to be right at the tip of the front sight. If we sight the tip of the front even with the back, the POI will be lower and masked by the gun when we shoot. Leeann shoots it with the front and back dead even ... as we all do with 6 or 7 other handguns (mostly Sigs & 1911's) we shoot at my cousin's range.

I added a speck of goldleaf just below the front sight blade to help us see it a little better. Its not like we look at the whole speck, its just that its dead on when we first see the tiniest fleck of the gold.

IMG_2803.jpg

I'm tempted to mill a little off the front blade, but don't want to if there is something I can change about the way I hold or look at the gun or the target ... esp since Leeann uses the top.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Where does it shoot at point of aim using the sights as they are set? Remember it is a service pistol, not a target piece.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It shoots low if I put the top of the front blade even with the top of the
    notch. If Leeann sights it the same way she hits exactly where she is aiming.

What do you think is going on?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It shoots low if I put the top of the front blade even with the top of the
    notch. If Leeann sights it the same way she hits exactly where she is aiming.

What do you think is going on?

Difference in shooting position??

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Chant to yourself *YMMV* . In theory it could be any one of subtle differences in grasp , stance , geometry of the bones and tendons in your shooting hand , or your build and muscluture in entire upper body, and how in toto it effects the cycling and recoil dynamics of the pistol.
    Your exact symptoms are different from the usual, so theoretically you could be *right* , and LeAnn and cousin could be limpwristing , and having everything cancel out.

Having said all that , ignore it all , and figure the best way to deal with it.

It is a lot easier to deal with a POI slightly above the front sight than below it. Some people prefer a 6 o'clock alignment on purpose. Accept as a given that you and LeAnn will umpact at different verticle points.

Change the POI so that it will hit reasonably close to dead on for you , while being acceptably 6 o'clock for LeAnn. You could file down on the front sight. OR experement with the next heavier bullet wt. Ie , if now using 115s , try 124s , if using 124s, try (shudder) 147s .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My cousin and I see it the same way regardless of our different hold/stance.

This oddity is particular to this gun's sights, not the shooters. For example, all 3 of us see and shoot my cousin's P226 .40 and Leeann's 1911 with identical sight picture, top of front blade even in the rear blocks. (The .40 is the sweetest pistol I've ever shot ... I think the others agree, too.)

I think we can discount any limp wristing.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have solved this mystery.

Its a vision thing. In the pictures the front sight appears the way Leeann sees it. My cousin and I agree that in person the front blade appears much taller than it does in pictures. Leeann and the camera see it one way and we see it another

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom