• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Due to some things I got going on I won’t be able to use any of my hunting guns this year. The farmer I work for felt bad for me and gave me one of his old 12 gauge A5s so I can participate in the up coming migratory goose season I’ve been really looking forward to.

I did some research on it and it was manufactured in 1952. The barrel is marked special steel but no choke information. I’m assuming it’s probably a full choke. My first thought would be the barrel is designed for shooting steel shot but it occurred to me that back in the 1950s, the need to use steel shot was non existent so I’m a bit confused.
    I was hoping that there are a few of you who are knowledgeable about these vintage shotgun and what’s safe to shoot in them. I wish it was a 3” chamber but it is what it is. I can make do with 2 3/4” shells and the high dollar non toxic loads if need be. I’ll be shooting decoying birds on a pond so I’m not to much worried about the reach.

The gun isn’t in bad shape but it has been sitting a long time. Typical surface rust and some slight pitting in some spots on the barrel. Anything to look for as far as worn or broken parts in the operating system? Is there any tuning that needs to be done to shoot different loads reliably? How about shooting BB size shot? I could make #2 shot work. I’ve killed plenty of geese with #2 black cloud.

Thank you

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If a dime will not fit, it's full choke. Special steel concerns the material the barrel is made from, it is NOT for steel shot.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    BLUF: Yep, shell out for non-steel loads.

Personally, I switched to BOSS copper-coated bismuth this year for waterfowl after patterning my gun showed it well worth the money. Copper is softer than both steel & bismuth, so it's better for pre-80s barrels than either of those. You have to choke it a bit more than steel, so a full choke shooting 4s should be more than sufficient.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    More than a few friends of mine been shooting them for years with other than full chokes and some even with.
    I never saw any problems but some beat up guns from being in a boat or blind too much.
    But its an old gun and should be taken care of.
    As a matter of fact Ive saw more new guns with bulged muzzles lately now that I think about it.
    I think with a half or quarter choke it would make no difference.
    Full with no 2's might be asking a little much even for the newer best quality is what im seeing here in bay country.
    Its all my youngest lad hunts with and hes out there all the time.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Look for any stars on the barrel to tell you its constriction and make sure your friction rings are correctly set up for your loads.
    Incorrect setup and you can destroy the receiver.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The older guns I'm more familiar with have three steel rings in them.
    Looks like he is using the modern wide brass friction ring with one steel washer on an old gun and its in the wrong place if you ask me when he puts it together.
    The reality is people put them in all kinds of ways even with the bevel opposite the brass, three rings on top none at all bevels facing each other all at the bottom and they still work.
    In there pockets.
    Maybe kick a little more, wont pick a shell up but they all still work.
    The action spring in an A5 is in the buttstock too. The recoil spring is whats on the mag tube.
    Back off your mag cap too one click your forearm will thank your for it.
    A good forearm will have a sticker pasted into it that shows how the friction rings are fixed to the gun too if you ever saw one, its a treat.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    download (8).jpg

I didn't realize how that system worked until I got an old A5 this summer. It is a 3" but someone had already had it set for 2 3/4 shells

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    If a dime will not fit, it's full choke. Special steel concerns the material the barrel is made from, it is NOT for steel shot.
    That’s what I was figuring. It dawned on me that steel shot wasn’t even a thought in 1952.
    BLUF: Yep, shell out for non-steel loads.

Personally, I switched to BOSS copper-coated bismuth this year for waterfowl after patterning my gun showed it well worth the money. Copper is softer than both steel & bismuth, so it's better for pre-80s barrels than either of those. You have to choke it a bit more than steel, so a full choke shooting 4s should be more than sufficient.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I will check them out. I figured I would be dishing out for the higher end shells anyway.
    More than a few friends of mine been shooting them for years with other than full chokes and some even with.
    I never saw any problems but some beat up guns from being in a boat or blind too much.
    But its an old gun and should be taken care of.
    As a matter of fact Ive saw more new guns with bulged muzzles lately now that I think about it.
    I think with a half or quarter choke it would make no difference.
    Full with no 2's might be asking a little much even for the newer best quality is what im seeing here in bay country.
    It’s all my youngest lad hunts with and hes out there all the time.
    i havnt been in any hunting situations that required a full choke. I was running a light modified using BB in my A400 and switched to IC with better results. I guess in this situation I just have to match the shot size to the choke and I’m ok with that. What I’m gathering is a smaller shot size can be used with the modern high density non toxic shot compared to steel. I guess having more pellets is also a benefit when restricted to 2 3/4” shells.
    I usually am not easy on my waterfowl guns but I do plan on taking extra care of this old work horse. I owe that much to such a classic I suppose.
    Look for any stars on the barrel to tell you its constriction and make sure your friction rings are correctly set up for your loads.

Thank you that’s exactly the info I was looking for.
    It does have a small stamp that looks somewhat like a single asterisks. I’m assuming that means full choke.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    The older guns I'm more familiar with have three steel rings in them.
    Looks like he is using the modern wide brass friction ring with one steel washer on an old gun and its in the wrong place if you ask me when he puts it together.
    The reality is people put them in all kinds of ways even with the bevel opposite the brass, three rings on top none at all bevels facing each other all at the bottom and they still work.
    In there pockets.
    Maybe kick a little more, wont pick a shell up but they all still work.
    The action spring in an A5 is in the buttstock too. The recoil spring is whats on the mag tube.
    Back off your mag cap too one click your forearm will thank your for it.
    A good forearm will have a sticker pasted into it that shows how the friction rings are fixed to the gun too if you ever saw one, its a treat.
    I have a browning B2000 that still has that sticker in the forearm. As long as I have had it, it would only cycle the heaviest 3” loads. Makes me wonder now if the rings may be incorrectly installed. I never really paid close attention to them.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    In addition to the friction rings, I would replace the recoil spring. You have a "Light 12" since it is only 2 3/4". The spring is only $13 here: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B1111378. That is cheap insurance. I have spare friction rings if you need them. I started hunting with an Auto-5 in 1966 and have rarely used anything else. I live in the north side of Bel Air if you want to PM me about friction rings.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Absolutely. I appreciate that. I’ll let you know when I get it all tore down. It’s going to get a good cleaning and a good recoils pad at the very least. I need a bit extra length of pull.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    First 12 gauge I ever shot was a Browning A-5. I disliked it then, and I dislike it now. Still have it in the safe though.

OP - Sorry to read that you have to borrow a gun for this hunting season. I read through the entire thread. I have nothing to add. All good advice. Since you are borrowing the gun from somebody, treat it like a safe queen and give it back polished and oiled.

Hunting-6.jpg
    Hunting-2.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

You'll see a bulge in the back before it's destroyed. Definitely check the friction ring and probably replace it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    View attachment 435008

I didn't realize how that system worked until I got an old A5 this summer. It is a 3" but someone had already had it set for 2 3/4 shells
    The Magnums have a different set up than the 2 3/4". My '92 A5 has two friction rings and two steel rings. The steel rings only really act as a spacer for the bronze ones. You can set it up with no ring, one steel one bronze, and two steel two bronze. Replacing the mainspring helps too.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    In addition to the friction rings, I would replace the recoil spring. You have a "Light 12" since it is only 2 3/4". The spring is only $13 here: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B1111378. That is cheap insurance. I have spare friction rings if you need them. I started hunting with an Auto-5 in 1966 and have rarely used anything else. I live in the north side of Bel Air if you want to PM me about friction rings.
    Thanks for that link I'm ordering a set of springs and rings for mine!

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    First 12 gauge I ever shot was a Browning A-5. I disliked it then, and I dislike it now. Still have it in the safe though.

OP - Sorry to read that you have to borrow a gun for this hunting season. I read through the entire thread. I have nothing to add. All good advice. Since you are borrowing the gun from somebody, treat it like a safe queen and give it back polished and oiled.

View attachment 435058 View attachment 435059
    I appreciate it and it is what it is. Luckily I get to keep all my guns just can’t use them until the divorce is finalized.
    Fortunately the farmer and his family treats me like another son and told me I could have it as long as I took care of it. I will do just that whether I can shoot it well or not. I’m just grateful to have something to use in the pit this year.
    Thank you for sharing the photos. Looks like you shot it well enough to bring the birds down! Looks like some proud individuals in that photo including the dog!

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    The Magnums have a different set up than the 2 3/4". My '92 A5 has two friction rings and two steel rings. The steel rings only really act as a spacer for the bronze ones. You can set it up with no ring, one steel one bronze, and two steel two bronze. Replacing the mainspring helps too.
    From what I gather mine is a A5 light. It only has one bronze ring ( I thought it was brass) and one steel ring. The steel ring was at the opposite side of the spring by the receiver from the bronze one. I’m not really sure if that’s where it’s supposed to be or not. I’m still learning the operating system.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    From what I gather mine is a A5 light. It only has one bronze ring ( I thought it was brass) and one steel ring. The steel ring was at the opposite side of the spring by the receiver from the bronze one. I’m not really sure if that’s where it’s supposed to be or not. I’m still learning the operating system.
    This guy explains it pretty well. I think he used to be a gunsmith for Browning

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    Fabs is a wimp on recoil. Seriously think twice about shooting steel in the old Browning. I guided in Md for more than 30 years . when we had to go to steel I saw more than 6 guns the first year with bulges or even split bbls...all Browning A5s. Had a gun shop and fixed guns too. Browning steel really can't stand up to steel shot...esp the newer ultra fast stuff y'all shoot. Large shot bigger than 6s are even worse. Bismuth will work ok. Spend I've and fractures some. Rem 870/1100 And variants will all handle steel and Hevi shot. When he I came out the group I shot with went to hevi..all of our steel we had left went to shooting cripples. BTW Fabs...this is Skeet from the Eastern Shore. Remember Hunt Chat? Out in Wyoming...got a small ranch east of Cody

g Chat

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom