• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    This is the first of two .32 ACPs that I inherited from my grandfather. I have not taken this one to the range but my father seems to remember that it wasn't incredibly reliable when they last shot it many years ago. The finish is starting to flake off in places but there are no major nicks, scratches, etc. on it. One thing that does excite me is the fact that there are no importer markings on it and it has a Nazi acceptance stamp on the left side of the frame just above the trigger; I can't be certain but I think that my grandfather may have brought this straight back over from Germany. I may try to fix this one up and turn it into a shooter, but for now it's just a collector.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea what a piece like this would be worth? (Aside from the obvious "Whatever someone will pay for it")

(NOTE: The rectangular areas on the barrel and muzzle cap are not actual markings, that's just where I blanked out the serial number. Yes, I'm paranoid.)

Attachments

• 1922_Left.jpg
      1922_Left.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 419
    • 1922_Right.jpg
      1922_Right.jpg
      87 KB · Views: 309
    • 1922_Markings.jpg
      1922_Markings.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 310

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    well the finish is not original, chances are, after the war the soldier who brought it back, while still stationed in europe got it nickel plated.

this was common as there were a lot of people desperate for work, and offering nickel plating for cheap to the many soldiers who had lots of souveniers, and plenty of cash to spend was a good way to make some quick cash.

there are lots of these nickel plated bringbacks on the market, it does reduce the value compared to one in original condition unfortunately, even more so if it's flaking off.

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    It might bring $150 or so, but whoever had the gun buffed and plated did you no service. If it were original, it could bring as much as $400 or more depending on condition. As it is, it is a shooter, and not worth spending any money on beyond making it functional.

Jim

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If it has been chrome plated, I agree with Jim that the value has been greatly reduced from an original finished pistol. Just shoot it.

Good luck

Jerry

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have handled a number of these over the years. Generally, if the striker and recoil spring are in good condition and the firing pin is in good shape they go bang. The chamber and bore should be checked for condition. One weakness is the magazine lips seem to be bent easily.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I have one of these as well but with the original bluing on it. Has all the Nazi proofs and no import marks either. Mine was also from my grandfather who apparently won it in a poker game. I have shot it a few times. Not terribly reliable but still fun nonetheless. Plus the history behind the particular model is fascinating.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have a wartime one as well. Mine is a good shooter from the little bit of firing I've done with it, which is only about one box of factory FMJ without any jams. Nice little pistol though. From what I know of the occupation 1922 pistols they were primarily made for the Luftwaffe, but also were used by the Wehrmacht, occupation police forces in Nazi-occupied Europe, and at least one Bulgarian contract run. The design was originally done by FN for the Yugoslavians who wanted a longer barreled M1910. In any case I think you could get a little better than $150 for it depending on how the bore and internals look, maybe $200-250. If your grandpa brought back any capture paperwork on it from the war that would drive the value up considerably.

191022rightsideoverview.jpg

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    As a project, I'm thinking of stripping the finish off (it's really quite bad in places and I think the metal underneath is starting to rust) and refinishing it myself. I have two questions:

1. What would be the best way to get the original finish off? I'm thinking fine steel wool and lots of elbow grease.

2. For the refinish I'll buff/polish the bare metal to get rid of machining marks (and scratches from #1 above) and just doing a gun-wide cold blue. Is there a better option here?

Thanks for the inputs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plating is removed by a plater reversing the process. It is not just one layer, but at least two, typically three ( copper base, then chrome, then nickle).

There are suppliers who offer semi-home level plating equipment. But it seems somthing where you would commit to a seperate hobby of plating stuff on purpose. For just one gun easier and cheaper to have it done.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ya, you're not going to get that plating off by hand easily.

i think you'd be better off finding someone to remove the plating and hot blue it for you, you'll be much happier with the results i think and it shouldnt cost all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom