• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Any info appreciated. I think this looks like a mashup of parts to me.

Attachments

• 20230921_141648.jpg
      20230921_141648.jpg
      157 KB · Views: 111
    • 20230921_141604.jpg
      20230921_141604.jpg
      164.5 KB · Views: 109
    • 20230921_141545.jpg
      20230921_141545.jpg
      149.8 KB · Views: 114
    • 20230921_141529.jpg
      20230921_141529.jpg
      302.7 KB · Views: 111
    • 20230921_141456.jpg
      20230921_141456.jpg
      311.8 KB · Views: 111

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Doesn't surprise me. So many C96s were in the field for decades and parts & bores wore out. I have a Chinese import C96 shooter that I had to literally rebuild to make it reliable. Might have 3-4 matching parts. The importer relined it to 9mm and refinished the badly pitted finish so nothing collectable about it. But throw on a shoulder stock and it's a giggle factory.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Looks like a bolo c96, mismatched upper and lower. Cool pistol, how’s the bore?

I didn't check. He's never shot it. Gun looks decent so not sure why it's such a mismatched set. Action is smooth too. I feel like it would shoot just fine.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Doesn't surprise me. So many C96s were in the field for decades and parts & bores wore out. I have a Chinese import C96 shooter that I had to literally rebuild to make it reliable. Might have 3-4 matching parts. The importer relined it to 9mm and refinished the badly pitted finish so nothing collectable about it. But throw on a shoulder stock and it's a giggle factory.
    Chinese broomhandle, for some strange reason over all the other types, is on my buy list. Years ago one was at auction and I asked one of my employees who was ethnic Chinese to translate the characters on the frame. Box cannon was what she came up with.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

With the shoulder stock wouldn't it be considered an SBR?

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    C96, Artillery Luger, and Hi Power are exempted from SBR if they originally were slotted for a stock.

IIRC, repro stocks are OK too and are commonly available for C96 and Luger. I have never seen a Hi Power stock in person or the slotted pistol itself for that matter. They are unusual and expensive.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Chinese broomhandle, for some strange reason over all the other types, is on my buy list. Years ago one was at auction and I asked one of my employees who was ethnic Chinese to translate the characters on the frame. Box cannon was what she came up with.
    Yup, Box Cannon was the Chinese moniker for the Broomhandle. So I'm not at all surprised at the translation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    C96, Artillery Luger, and Hi Power are exempted from SBR if they originally were slotted for a stock.

IIRC, repro stocks are OK too and are commonly available for C96 and Luger. I have never seen a Hi Power stock in person or the slotted pistol itself for that matter. They are unusual and expensive.
    Yep. The repro stocks are GTG

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Oh ok so since this pistol has the slot in the handle you can legally put the stock on it without having to call it an SBR?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Oh ok so since this pistol has the slot in the handle you can legally put the stock on it without having to call it an SBR?
    The pistol has to have been recognized by the ATF as being originally issued with a shoulder stock to be legal. For instance, take the Luger. The standard issue P08 wasn't issued with a shoulder stock so it's not legal to attach one, even though those built after 1912 have a shoulder stock lug on the receiver.
    But the L08 Artillery Luger and L04 Navy Luger were both issued with shoulder stocks and are on the ATF approved list. So you can attach an original or an exact replica to those pistols legally without SBR status.
    The C96 Mauser and Spanish copies from Astra and Royal were all routinely issued with shoulder stocks back in the day and are on the approved ATF list. So yes, you can attach an original shoulder stock to them without going through the process of registering as an SBR.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I shot my second groundhog with a Broom handle Mauser off a tractor at grandmom's place in Timonium when I was about 15. Can't do that now.....

TaoHaus

MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2023
    Gaithersburg, MD

I think original C96s are all exempt. BUT only specific Hi Powers are exempt. I.e., Not all slotted Hi Powers are C&R exempt from SBR rules. And for many variants that are exempt (Chinese Contract Canadian Inglis, Belgian made Muscat of Oman), ATF has refused to allow reproduction stocks. Be careful/check list.

TaoHaus

MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2023
    Gaithersburg, MD
    And of milsurp Lugers, only Navy and Artillery Lugers are exempt. Shorter barreled (standard) military Lugers are not, pretty sure. Some commercial Lugers are exempt and/or I think certain period-made stocks can be used on them (Ideal; Benke-Thiemann).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom