• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    On Saturday, May 14 Bridgeville will be hosting the NRA Mid-Atlantic Regional HP Championship: a 1000 AGG XTC match.

As this is a regional championship, the NRA will award gold/silver/bronze medals to the top 3 finishers. I believe class winners also get a voucher for reduced (50%) price admission to the NRA National HP or Long Range Championship good for two years.

The course of fire will be the rarely seen NRA 100 shot regional match course. No one has ever shot a perfect 1000. The national record is 999-67X shot by Sherri Gallagher in June '09. The civilian record is 997-49X shot by Gary Anderson (retired head of CMP, 2x Olympic Gold in 300m Rifle) in 1977.

There will be:
    Match 1: 20 shots offhand at 200 yards with 2 sighters in 22 minutes
    Match 2: two strings of 10 shots at 200 yards, sitting/kneeling rapid fire in 60 seconds with magazine change (2+8 or 5+5), preceded by 2 slow fire sighters
    Match 3: two strings of 10 shots at 300 yards, prone rapid fire in 70 seconds with magazine change (2+8 or 5+5), preceded by 2 slow fire sighters
    Match 4: 20 shots slow fire prone at 600 yards with 2 sighters in 22 minutes
    Match 5: 20 shots slow fire prone at 600 yards with 2 sighters in 22 minutes

Rapid fire will be conducted under NRA rules (post 2009): shooters remain in position with rifle out of the shoulder, bolt open, magazines on the ground or shooting stool. When the targets appear, shooters may load, shoulder their rifles and fire.

NRA matches allow both Service rifles (rule 3.1) and match rifles (rule 3.2).

On Sunday, a 50-shot Excellence in Competiton (EIC or "leg") Match under CMP sanction will be held. SERVICE RIFLES ONLY Distinguished shooters and non-distinguished shooters will compete for 1st-3rd place medals. Points toward the Distinguished Rifleman(USA, USAF, CMP) or Distinguished Marksman (USN, USMC, USCG) badges will be awarded to the top 10% of non-distinguished competitors, provided there are at least 6 non-distinguished entrants.

The course of fire will be:
    Stage 1: 10 shots offhand in 10 minutes at 200 yards
    Stage 2: 10 shots rapid fire standing-to-sitting/kneeling in 60 seconds at 200 yards
    Stage 3: 10 shots rapid fire standing-to-prone in 70 seconds at 300 yards.
    Stage 4: 20 shots slow fire prone in 20 minutes at 600 yards.

There will be no sighting shots. Rapid fire will be conducted under CMP rules (post-2009): after the 3 minute preparatory period, shooters will stand when directed, close bolts on an empty chamber, and load the two round magazine (on the command to load). When the targets appear, shooters will drop into position, rack the bolt, fire two rounds, change mags, and fire 8 rounds.

There will be a 600yd any-rifle/any-sight match (F-class allowed) held after the EIC.

Info here: http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    The f-class section, that's on 5/15 correct? and what is the estimated start time for the service rifle only and f-class matches? Is the f-class NRA sanctioned?

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    The f-class section, that's on 5/15 correct? and what is the estimated start time for the service rifle only and f-class matches? Is the f-class NRA sanctioned?

I'd check with Jeff (match director) to see what's going on.

The any/any* would be in the middle to end of the day and only 20 shots, non-sanctioned. I'd have to re-read the program, but with 40-shots at 600 yds it might be possible to shoot unsanctioned F-class on Saturday. They used to mention it in the program. You'd probably need to bring a buddy so you can alternate pit duties.

In reality, I'd hold off till June when the regular schedule of XTC on Saturday, 3x600 Prone/F-class on Sunday resumes.

Also New Holland, PA is having 3x600 Prone/F-class on 5/22. I'd register early, that tends to fill up.

*=If they hold it. It was not held the last two times (May and September).

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Two good days of shooting. The rains came during the overnight leaving both days dry for shooting. I think we had ~20 shooters for the 1000 AGG, the weather and the Creedmoor Cup (Camp Butner, NC) kept some shooters away. The gold medal went for 974.

I think we had 12 total shooters for the EIC with the bronze leg going for 479. First leather was 478.

Saturday, I had a mediocre offhand with a 164. My first groups in rapid fire: 90 (sitting) and 92 (prone) were low for me but I followed them up with good second strings: 98 and 97. For the first slow prone stage, I shot a personal best 175-4X. I followed that up with a 186-1X to set a new personal best with the second prone stage. I finished with a 902: my first time past the 90% barrier.

In today's EIC, I just fell apart. No major mental errors like last year (like shooting 300 yard rapid fire with a 200 yard zero). I shot a personal worst 415.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Figured you were at the shoot. Glad you had a good time.

I'll be chasing that high power dragon come fall, figured it's time to get used to that cute little black rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom