• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tdiracing

Jun 20, 2014
    I am in Baltimore MD and am interested in long range shooting and competition. I have contacted Jeff Hague at Bridgeville Gun club in Delaware about joining and he said there is no problem but i need a current member as a sponsor. Is there anyone local to Baltimore interested in meeting me and or sponsoring me so I can join Bridgeville?

Thank you for any help.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    There is a benchrest shoot there today and tomorrow. just go there and meet some members and take a look at the ranges. As stated above, you do not need to be a member to shoot matches. Its a nice range.

Tdiracing

Jun 20, 2014
    I want to train and learn a bit before I attempt to do the long range matches. I am not sure I am ready and not sure my rifle will shoot at 800 and 1000 yards. I have an ex champion teaching and helping me but he is older and not a member there currently. I was hoping to find someone from Baltimore that I could meet and get a sponsor. If not Jeff said he would help me find someone.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I want to train and learn a bit before I attempt to do the long range matches. I am not sure I am ready and not sure my rifle will shoot at 800 and 1000 yards. I have an ex champion teaching and helping me but he is older and not a member there currently. I was hoping to find someone from Baltimore that I could meet and get a sponsor. If not Jeff said he would help me find someone.

Jeff is good people. If the long range matches are not for you (yet), try the midrange 600 yd matches. Occasionally there are also matches that start at 300 yards, continue at 500 yards and finish at 600 yards.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If you want to train, contact Ed Shell here on MS and you will be way ahead of the curve. Also, second JJB's post above about starting at 600 yards.

Good luck

Jerry

Tdiracing

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a good friend who has won many competitions over the years and is willing to help and train me, so I am blessed in that regard. The goal is to see how well i can shoot at 600 yards and how well my gun can shoot there as well. That is why I want to join the club. It is only about 2 hours from me here in Baltimore.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    If you don't want to jump right into a long range match. They shoot short range benchrest all summer. Not a big crowd, and it's really easy. Don't expect to win, but you shouldn't have any trouble hitting your target.

Meet some members, one will sign for you. That's what I did to get in.

Tdiracing

Jun 20, 2014
    I will talk to Jeff again and see what he thinks. I want to join and he knows they guy who's training me so maybe he will do it for me. Planning a trip to shoot there very soon. I can't wait to shoot over 200 yards... Lol

Ruggedtouch

Feb 8, 2015
    Pulling this old thread from the ashes. I spoke with Jeff Hague about joining the club and similarly, I need a sponsor to join. Is it possible to attend a public shoot and somehow meet a current member?

I'm in New Jersey and Bridgeville is the only 1,000 yard range within a reasonable driving distance.

Thanks.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Pulling this old thread from the ashes. I spoke with Jeff Hague about joining the club and similarly, I need a sponsor to join. Is it possible to attend a public shoot and somehow meet a current member?

I'm in New Jersey and Bridgeville is the only 1,000 yard range within a reasonable driving distance.

Thanks.

As noted in an earlier response the matches are open to the public. I would suggest that you go to one of their matches and that will help you establish a contact to sponsor your membership.
    I have shot on their 600 yard range and find it to be less intimidating than other ranges due to the buffers on both sides. Unlike wide open ranges when I was the wind issues were not an issue. I was able to build my confidence for shooting the distance without have the adding complexity of reading the wind too. Good luck.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Also a fair few shooters from bridgeville attend High power and f-class shoots at Cumberland rifleman in Jersey.

Ruggedtouch

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks for your responses Biff_N and lmorrison17. I think I'll check the websites of both Bridgeville and Cumberland and arrange to get to one or more matches.

Is it appropriate to hang around and ask questions? I don't want to be thought of as a stalker if shooters are there for serious business. I'm really interested in learning more and eventually participating in the sport. I've got formal training spots scheduled for this spring but without practice shooting in the wind, long range and environmental conditions, I'll never be competitive.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I am in Baltimore MD and am interested in long range shooting and competition. I have contacted Jeff Hague at Bridgeville Gun club in Delaware about joining and he said there is no problem but i need a current member as a sponsor. Is there anyone local to Baltimore interested in meeting me and or sponsoring me so I can join Bridgeville?

Thank you for any help.

I have competed twice in the Delaware State High Power Championship matches at Bridgeville, mostly AR type rifles shooting from 200-600 yards, but I am not a member at Bridgeville.

I suggest that you contact James Bowen, President of the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association and see if he knows someone who is a member. One of my former team members was a member, but Dave N., 73, passed a few years ago.

If you choose to attend one of their shoots, introduce yourself to the match director or to one of their board members. I am certain that they will assist you with membership if you show up.

I have been competing for over 62 years and we often have "guests" observing and sometimes inquiring at our matches. You are always welcome at the AGC ranges on Marriottsville Road, too, where we compete in the Spring and the Fall.

Also, Maryland Rifle Club is taking applications now for their annual high power clinic that is scheduled for two days in March, and that course would be beneficial to you. One stage of our matches is 20 shots slow fire at 600 yards, and it's shot on a reduced target at Marriottsville due to our 200 yard maximum distance limitation. But, with iron sights only, it is a challenge. What a 200 yard range lacks, however, is the ability to teach you how to "read the wind." The HP course is excellent, and you would gain from attending it.

I am a retired Army officer, 74, and I started competing with ARs, Garands, M1As, 1903A3s and M1 Carbines rather late in life, 63, in 2002. I still compete, but not at the level I'd like. I am the second oldest active competitor in our league. I learned to shoot smallbore competitively in Indiana, PA in 1952. Some of the best folks you'll ever meet in life will be the shooters you hang out with. Good luck!

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret--1984)

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    I forgot to add New Hollands 3x600 matches lot of Bville shooter go there too. Come early ask questions shooters love
    To gab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom