• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What Breath Control Method do you use?

• Full Breath

Votes: 3 15.0%
    • Half-Empty/Half-Full (pessimist/optimist)

Votes: 6 30.0%
    • Empty

Votes: 7 35.0%
    • Other

Votes: 3 15.0%
    • GODDD.... another poll, JFC

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I was having a conversation with another rifle shooter about breath control, and the "respiratory pause" moment came up. They used the empty lung (bottom of the breathing cycle) technique, whereas I use the half-breath lung method (full breath in, pause at about halfway).

NRA basic rifle teaches the empty lung method, while other competitive shooting sites teach half-breath method or modification of the empty lung method.

This takes into account a solid shooting position and Natural Point of Aim is established.

Which do you use? I understand the empty lung method and have used it, but I shoot better with the half-breath method.

Q

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I hit other because I need to be able to shoot on "cue/command/etc" sometimes and that almost never happens during a perfect point in the respiratory cycle.

I've pretty much tossed the NRA method as it gives a very narrow window to break the shot before blood oxygen starts to drop and you need to breathe a few times to get ready for the next pause.

Shooting standing and sling (with no time pressure) I will usually be half full or so. If I am fully supported in prone or on a surface that affords me purchase for a bipod and a rear bag I can pretty much shoot at any point in my respiratory cycle. I don't even think about it anymore but I breathe "low" to keep movement as far down my torso as possible. I keep my shoulders and chest as.static as possible given the position. Reticle movement drops enough to hold half MOA or better (with capable rifle and ammunition).

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Russian coach olympic shooting method. Slow your heartrate down too. Amazon or NRA

51KN5BKXESL.jpg

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    What I do is settle my breathing into how the top of my front sight post moves. (with a sling, prone single load)
    Once I get it to settle down a bit and can manipulate the amount of target black to buff using a six oclock hold, I hold until I break the shot. On a half an inhale, soon as the post rises, and I have center, I squeeze straight back then exhale while maintaining trigger control to call my shot.
    During rapid fire, and between a magazine change Ill often blow it becuase I'm undisciplined/not that good a competitor/marksman.
    Or its my rifles fault, velocity deviation, brass hasent been polished enough etc, wrong lube, damaged my rifle from cleaning to often, over-gassed headspace etc.:sarcasm:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I've only done Appleseed, but what seemed to help quite a bit was shallow breathing. When I exhale all the way my heart tends to beat very hard and throw off my aim, so what works for me is a very shallow inhale...pause...shoot... then shallow exhale.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    2~3 FULL inhale, exhale cycles. (load the blood with O2)
    Las full breath in them "dribble out" till the bull comes back in line, hold & fire.
    Exhale fully, breathe normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom