• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hixster

Jan 19, 2013
    Suppressors sure would make shooting at indoor ranges a bit more pleasant. Especially if they are easier to acquire.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I hate to piss on yawls campfire, but soon as the hood rats can lay their hands on readily available suppressors, they will probably be used quite heavily in street crimes.

Someone had to say it. :shrug:

Static analysis is worthless.

In the long run I think you might be correct. In the short term gang bangers are not going to be buying premium guns with threaded barrels. Ordering the proper threaded barrel online is tough when you can barely read, have no fixed address, and have no credit card. These guys like cheap guns they can pay for in cash. Eventually when threaded barrels are essentially standard on new guns I can see this being more of a problem but it will take a while.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Some observations:

1. I've long been convinced that we have unrecognized allies at ATF headquarters. Especially after the move to Martinsburg - if you've been there, it's not like DC.

2. ATF is stuck trying to enforce Federal laws that date from 1934, 1968, 1986, and 1994. Antiques that have been largely overtaken by technology. I believe the NICS system of 2017 is significantly more reliable than the NFA background check of 1934 was. Much of this white paper deals with trying to bring policy into line with the changes in technology and capability.

3. The point on suppressor deregulation is big. I think ATF knows the NFA Form 4 processing time is a ticking time bomb, it's only a matter of time before they are hit with a Due Process of Law suit. My money says the Hearing Protection Act (which basically moves suppressors off NFA and transfers them with a NICS check) is a lot closer to being passed.

4. The interstate sales point hasn't gotten the press it should...not around here, at least.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are not using suppressors now, so I doubt anything would change. They could use oil filters or make their own cans easy enough if they wanted. NFA laws only impact us, not criminals. In fact, a prohibited person caught with an unregistered machine gun is not subject to NFA penalties. Seriously.

You prove my point. They are not using cans now because NFA laws make it very difficult to say the least. But you're talking about the removal there of. Whole new ball game.

And to someone who said there aren't many threaded barrels out there...once suppressors come out of NFA, even BB guns will be threaded.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. People need to stop viewing things from the current perspective.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    On the other hand, a suppressor does not make a firearm silent. It makes the gun less loud. For centerfire arms, barely hearing-safe is considered good performance from a can.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    On the other hand, a suppressor does not make a firearm silent. It makes the gun less loud. For centerfire arms, barely hearing-safe is considered good performance from a can.

True. But subsonic ammo through a can is pretty damn quiet.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Whatever BATFE can do on its own today, it can just as easily undo when the next president takes office. In order for any changes to have a chance to "stick", it takes a change in federal law...something passed by Congress and signed by the President. Without this, any change may be a short-term fix.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    True. But subsonic ammo through a can is pretty damn quiet.

Judging by the BPD confiscated gun thread, it seems that most thugs have little firearms knowledge. I really don't think crimes involving suppressors will increase among inner city types. Perhaps terrorist attacks will employ them but even that I doubt.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Criminals will just start stealing guns that are suppressor ready or with suppressors already installed. They are too fvcking lazy to make their own so they will have to steal them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Judging by the BPD confiscated gun thread, it seems that most thugs have little firearms knowledge. I really don't think crimes involving suppressors will increase among inner city types. Perhaps terrorist attacks will employ them but even that I doubt.

It won't take many...

Criminals will just start stealing guns that are suppressor ready or with suppressors already installed. They are too fvcking lazy to make their own so they will have to steal them.

One of my previous posts...

And to someone who said there aren't many threaded barrels out there...once suppressors come out of NFA, even BB guns will be threaded.

We'll just have to wait and see...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Any confirmation of the OP ? Or is this from a click bait source? Or is this info from an unverified , unable to speak on the record source?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Any confirmation of the OP ? Or is this from a click bait source? Or is this info from an unverified , unable to speak on the record source?

Hard to believe it's real, eh? But it is. Widely covered by conservative and left-leaning news sources.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...rector-ban-import-assault-rifles-nonsensical/
    https://bearingarms.com/beth-b/2017/02/07/atf-white-paper-gun-regulations/
    https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/to...-on-firearm-restrictions-on-trumps-first-day/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...eb1120-ec7c-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html

Actual white paper by Ronald Turk, who is the associate deputy director and chief operating officer of the ATF, can be found via the links below.

Take a look at the actual white paper when you get a chance ...

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations/2325/

It's more far reaching in its suggestions than the Post is covering (15 or so different areas). I can understand the Washington Post focus (with Donald Trump Jr pics) on removing this regulatory burden from suppressors as this has some Congressional support/interest. Other things this guy touches on include green tip 5.56 ammo, the stabilizing braces, using the more appropriate terminology of "modern sporting rifles" instead of the (incorrect) pejorative assault rifles, the importance/significance of sporting activities such as 3-gun shooting, enabling FFLs to sell at out-of-state gun shows, getting rid of outdated/useless regulations, etc. Just amazing.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here's another detailed article on this story from an anti-gun site ...

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/02/atf-official-white-paper-gun-industry-friendly-bureau/

It has follow-up interviews with persons at the ATF who are bothered by the white paper release and think that Turk is making a play to be nominated as ATF director. He would be an improvement, if they decide to keep the agency.

Dean Weingarten just said the same thing
    http://www.ammoland.com/2017/02/dea...xx-2016-dean-weingarten-permis/#axzz4Y0hmi748

As a long term bureaucrat, this white paper reads as an application for the ATF director spot. It is not likely that the current director will stay at the head of the ATF. He has been tied to the white wash of the Fast and Furious fiasco. The paper fairly screams: I am willing to work with you, and I know how to take direction.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, this one is believable. I mean, it's just a statement. Now if some posted that trump signed an EO eliminating the nfa? Now that would be a juicy prank. :lol2:

How would anybody be fooled by such a statement. Everybody knows that Trump cannot overturn actual legislation, which is what the NFA is. He can merely decide not to enforce it during his time as the POTUS. Kind of like the previous POTUS decided not to enforce immigration law. Thing is, would Trump be any better than the previous POTUS in deciding not to enforce the laws on the books?

I am hoping that the Hearing Protection Act gets passed by Congress.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    How would anybody be fooled by such a statement. Everybody knows that Trump cannot overturn actual legislation, which is what the NFA is. He can merely decide not to enforce it during his time as the POTUS. Kind of like the previous POTUS decided not to enforce immigration law. Thing is, would Trump be any better than the previous POTUS in deciding not to enforce the laws on the books?

Nope, he wouldn't. I agree, change needs to be realized at the Congressional level. What Trump can do is facilitate that...hopefully.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

People have been fooled by more outrageous things;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom