• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question: What kind of oil should I use on my AR15?

Answer (Pat Rogers): Yes! Any lubricant is better than no lubricant.

Question: How much lubricant?

Answer (Pat Rogers): A metric buttload.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Question: What kind of oil should I use on my AR15?

Answer (Pat Rogers): Yes! Any lubricant is better than no lubricant.

Question: How much lubricant?

Answer (Pat Rogers): A metric buttload.

The other thread kills me. Too much lube caused it to go full auto.

Now I have to put the exact amount of lube on my firearms because too much is going to get me in trouble, too little is going to wear the parts.

I've said this before. My old man was dumping motor oil on my bike parts and sending me on my way 30 years ago. Oil splattering everywhere as I rode around the neighborhood. My bike always worked. He is an old school engineer and knew exactly what he was doing then...and he still knows his stuff.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Many have a non-anodized (softer) aluminum bore and iron or steel rings.

And many engines have an iron or steel camshaft rotating in an aluminum head would supplemental bearings.

Aluminum engine blocks have pressed-in iron sleeves in the bores, so the rings aren't in direct contact with the aluminum block. The rings are never in direct contact with the aluminum block.

If they weren't sleeved, the engine wouldn't survive even an initial run-in.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Aluminum engine blocks have pressed-in iron sleeves in the bores, so the rings aren't in direct contact with the aluminum block. The rings are never in direct contact with the aluminum block.

I don't believe that you are correct on that point. There are definitely sleeveless aluminum block engines on the market. Typically they use a Nikasil coating to create the required wear resistance.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not all of them.

There are a number of Al blocks that are not sleeved.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't believe that you are correct on that point. There are definitely sleeveless aluminum block engines on the market. Typically they use a Nikasil coating to create the required wear resistance.

Not all of them.

There are a number of Al blocks that are not sleeved.

Learned something new then. Interesting.

My experience is more on the automotive side, so most of the aluminum blocks I've ever dealt with are still sleeved.

Boss

Oct 25, 2016
    To be fair, I use the engine analogy in regards to firearms as well. I believe they are comparible.

Here is my engine analogy.

If I can trust my engine to motor oil, my gun will be just fine using it as well.

This epiphany was a milestone in my gun hobby. Ive been saving money, and not worrying about what oil is the "best". Motor oil works. When I want the lube to stay put I use lithium grease. Super cheap, and i keep my consumerism in check.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Wow. Just got caught up on this thead. Learned the following:

-Always S on the D
    -Lube is more important than I realized. I've probably been too light on my AR.
    -Even the most hostile battles can suddenly and unexpectedly resolve

This forum is great. Humbling, but great. One of my first threads was where I learned that fanny packs, CCW, and being a man are not comparable. You can have any 2 but not all 3.

I need to get to the range...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

-Always S on the D

This forum is great. Humbling, but great. One of my first threads was where I learned that fanny packs, CCW, and being a man are not comparable. You can have any 2 but not all 3.

:lol: Another satisfied customer!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Actually a number of car manufacturers run their engines initially without lube. To wear in the rough surfaces faster.

Not long, IIRC something like 10 minutes or less.

BMW for one does this.

If I were to do this with an AR, it would be for more like 20 rounds, not 200.

That sounds like some ******** to me. 10 minutes of engine idle with no lube oil?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

-Always S on the D

I admit it. I'm just here for the shock/entertainment value and to have fun. :D

Just so you know, I lube the hell out of my bolt, before I stuff it in the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom