• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    So I'm sitting at my bench pondering the meaning of life and a say to myself, "self why is all this brass stamped LC 10"?

This is the majority of the brass I claimed from the range at work last week. This may be a silly question but does Federal reclaim and reload at the factory?

It my understanding the "10" is the year of manufacture but with the "shortage" I can't imagine it was sitting around for four years...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 233

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    manufactured 2010 at thelake city plant.

probably shot at the range about an hour before you picked it up.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Dude, you should have picked up more than one piece.

Haha. Trust me I did!
    manufactured 2010 at thelake city plant.

probably shot at the range about an hour before you picked it up.

I was part of the group firing it. It didn't sit long lol

lake city brass .. '10

federals have fc stamps on them.

Yeah. That's is what I meant. We use Federal for duty...
    So do you think it was just that the brass was manufactured in 10 or the round and it was factory reloaded at some point?

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    lake city brass .. '10

federals have fc stamps on them.

And actually now I know why I thought federal. That's how the case was labeled. (See additional pic)
    It's good brass. I was just wondering why the four year old stamp if we just got the shipment in at the range and fired it last week.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    And actually now I know why I thought federal. That's how the case was labeled. (See additional pic)
    It's good brass. I was just wondering why the four year old stamp if we just got the shipment in at the range and fired it last week.

maybe just sitting in the warehouse for some time before it got sold.. (just thinking out loud)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    LC tends to be good brass, it's possible that Federal bought LC brass during the component shortage to shore up production.

Just thinking out loud.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_City_Army_Ammunition_Plant

Lake City plant makes about 1.4 BILLION rounds per year. It is a US Government owned facility, run by a contractor. Originally it was run by Remington from 1941 to 1985, then Olin (Winchester) until 2001, and now ATK (owns Federal).

The military brass has always been head stamped LC no matter who ran the plant.

It is a US Government owned facility.

It really only makes ammunition for the US government, so not sure how they are selling the ammunition directly. Their may be some clause to allow them to make more than the military needs and sell it. Also, they might stockpile some, to meet increased military demands, then at some point, sell it. Of course they would sell the older ammo first.

When Winchester ran the plant, they sold ammo that was basically military ammo, but instead of LC head stamp, they were WCC.

The WCC came from the Western Cartridge Company, that bought Winchester to make Winchester Western. WCC was founded by Mr. Olin. :) Commercial Winchester is WW or W-W, IIRC, I have some that is marked Win. Older may have WRA (Winchester Repeating Arms) or even the full name Winchester.

Federal is FC or Fed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom