• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I was cleaning up some .308 and 30-06 brass and found some brass I cannot identify, must have picked up someone else's brass when grabbing mine. It will accept a .30 cal bullet and the case size is bigger than .308 but smaller than 30-06. The markings are as follows; Left side T, top 3, right side T, and bottom 82. There is a 2 at about the 5 o'clock position, between the 82 and the second T. I will try to attach a picture, but not sure it will.

Attachments

• mystery brass (2).jpg
      mystery brass (2).jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 56

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Without case head diameter, extractor groove diameter, and length measurements, it's hard to say for sure. Assuming that since OP references 308 and 3006 the case head is a .473 I will offer the following thoughts:

If the case mouth just accepts a .308 diameter bullet, it is not 8x57 mauser as that bullet is larger and the fired case would have quite a bit of wiggle room if you put a thirty cal pill down into it.

Though I can't identify the headstamp from memory, I suspect that if it is a .30 cal round you have a piece of 7.65 argentine (sometimes also called belgian).

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will measure the case and get a pic of the whole case up.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I'm back. Here are the measurements;
    C.O.L. 2.180"
    Case mouth 0.340"
    Neck 0.300"
    Shoulder 0.130"

.308 on the left, 30-06 on the right, mystery case is in the middle.

Attachments

• 20221027_211359.jpg
      20221027_211359.jpg
      183 KB · Views: 48
    Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Based on length, it's 7.5 swiss. The spec length for that case is 2.185 so you are right there.

If the case head is a whisker under .500 instead of the .473 of the 308 and 3006, it's confirmed.

TheLizardKing

May 6, 2022
    Parkville
    i was thinking maybe 8mm mauser, but now i'm leaning 7.5 swiss after checking out Art3's link.

If it is gp-11, i believe those were berdan primed

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    It is indeed GP11 brass and is berdan primed. I can put them to good use and take them off your hands if they are destined for the scrap bin. They can be convertted to boxer primed pockets using a lathe.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It is indeed GP11 brass and is berdan primed. I can put them to good use and take them off your hands if they are destined for the scrap bin. They can be convertted to boxer primed pockets using a lathe.
    Are you doing the work yourself with your own lathe?
    I don't recall, but did you have a thread with your process?
    I'm totally not going to go through that myself but am curious.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Are you doing the work yourself with your own lathe?
    I don't recall, but did you have a thread with your process?
    I'm totally not going to go through that myself but am curious.

Correct, I convert them on my minilathe, but it can honestly be done with a drill press provided a proper centering jig or clamp. Process is pretty simple, drill a center flash hole, and then drill the berdan primer a bit undersized to SRP spec, then swage it to SRP spec. Can further refine the pocket with a primer pocket uniformer if needed. I've dabbled with using 22lr reloaders conversion sleeves before, and the converted berdan primer sleeve actually provides a more precise fit vs. the 22lr reloader conversion sleeves. If a LRP conversion is to be desired, a 22lr shell can be pressed in, cut flushed, then swaged.

Main benefit to this conversion is SRP pocket milsurp brass. I mainly reserve converted brass for reduced cast loads running at lower pressures utilizing fast burning pistol powders similar to bullseye burn-rates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom