• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    Should I process as normal (trim, full length re size ?) or is there advantage to fireformed brass in an autoloader ?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Most self-loaders can't apply the loading force that the cams in a bolt action so I'd go with full length resizing. Other than that & making doubly certain you primers are flush or below the base to prevent slam fires I'd say proceed as normal.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Should I process as normal (trim, full length re size ?) or is there advantage to fireformed brass in an autoloader ?

Semi & Full Auto fire need full size resizing - to insure feeding. Neck sizing is only for bolts, and single shot break open guns. The case needs to be fully resized in a Semi auto to ensure it feeds & chambers freely. Some AR's may require small base dies - these dies actually resize the case to smaller than SAAMI specs- again to ensure it feeds & chambers. Not all guns need them -it varies by make.

One of the reasons why Semi Auto', can be a disadvantage, when it comes to the accuracy game is that they need to be full length resized - and the bullet crimped. Some people say they dont crimp - but it is recommeded that you do on military / semi autos. Bullets can be pushed further into the case on a round that is not crimped, from impacting the feed ramp. This can spike case pressure - and possibly cause a case rupture. Most bullets that are intended to be fired in AR's/ Semi Auto have cannelure to crimp the bullet. Crimping a bullet with no cannelure - degrades accuracy!

I would most defintely trim your brass as well. Its a good idea to measure your cases and see if they over spec. Too long a case, can rupture -as there is no place for the brass to flow.

If the rounds you bought were military / 5.56 Nato - the primer pockets will more than likely have a crimp - and need to be swaged, so that when you prime. the primer seats fully. A high primer can actually cause a round to fire off when you close the action / bolt.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Semi & Full Auto fire need full size resizing - to insure feeding. Neck sizing is only for bolts, and single shot break open guns. The case needs to be fully resized in a Semi auto to ensure it feeds & chambers freely. Some AR's may require small base dies - these dies actually resize the case to smaller than SAAMI specs- again to ensure it feeds & chambers. Not all guns need them -it varies by make.

One of the reasons why Semi Auto', can be a disadvantage, when it comes to the accuracy game is that they need to be full length resized - and the bullet crimped. Some people say they dont crimp - but it is recommeded that you do on military / semi autos. Bullets can be pushed further into the case on a round that is not crimped, from impacting the feed ramp. This can spike case pressure - and possibly cause a case rupture. Most bullets that are intended to be fired in AR's/ Semi Auto have cannelure to crimp the bullet. Crimping a bullet with no cannelure - degrades accuracy!

I would most defintely trim your brass as well. Its a good idea to measure your cases and see if they over spec. Too long a case, can rupture -as there is no place for the brass to flow.

If the rounds you bought were military / 5.56 Nato - the primer pockets will more than likely have a crimp - and need to be swaged, so that when you prime. the primer seats fully. A high primer can actually cause a round to fire off when you close the action / bolt.

So I recently finished assembling My AR and have been saving the brass with the intention of reloading.
    How can I tell if I will need small base dies? my barrel is from Del-Ton.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Most people use the standard Full length dies - and they generally work fine. The small base dies are really for "special cases", when the standard full length resized rounds wont chamber.

However ,RCBS now makes a die set geared towards AR's - The "AR series". It is a small base die set, includes a seater die with taper crimper.

Aside from doing a chamber casting - I would be inclined to contact the manufacter of the barrel, and find out it has been reamed under SAAMI spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom