• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Hello,

I'm starting my research on getting into reloading. I saw the sticky at the top of the page and intend to check it all out. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in MD or close by in DE or PA that I could go to check out some reloading equipment in person?

I'd like to get a feel for things before I start buying.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I've not seen any gun stores that have what I would call any kind of real selection of reloading components and equipment, especially the latter. You might have better luck just visiting a few fellow shooters to see their set ups, and especially what they would do differently now. Check out www.accurateshooter.com for some good equipment reviews.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are LOTS of you-tube videos with people running different cartridges and different presses. That's another resource. If you are interested in a particular press, scale dies etc, Youtube it. Take your advice from multiple sources is my opinion. There are kits that include a bunch of stuff but so far for me (I'm a newbie reloader) it's like a machine shop, you always find you need just one more doodad. I'm the kind of person that wants to try things even if I think I may have to toss it in a box to gather cobwebs later.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hello,

I'm starting my research on getting into reloading. I saw the sticky at the top of the page and intend to check it all out. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in MD or close by in DE or PA that I could go to check out some reloading equipment in person?

I'd like to get a feel for things before I start buying.

Good idea, but I don't recall ever seeing much in the way of presses set up locally. I THINK that Bass Pro may have a couple of MEC shotshell presses out of the box and on display, but I assume you're interested in loading metallics? Your best bet going forward would be to see if a few local guys would show you their setups. Many (perhaps most) handloaders are self taught though, so you can certainly learn with or without the luxury of a mentor.

You may want to consider posting what rifle and/or handgun cartridges you're looking to load, and what volume you're interested in loading. Both are important considerations regarding equipment amongst other things. There are lots of guys on this forum who can help you make informed selections. Opinions will vary, I can assure you. But ultimately, and given your own needs and requirements, you can make a choice that's right for you.

Also, consider getting your hands on a copy of the ABC'S of Reloading, if you haven't done so already. If you're new to handloading, this book can provide some answers for you. But more importantly, it will provide you with thoughts to consider regarding handloading generally, and with questions you perhaps haven't yet thought to ask. Measure twice....cut once as they say. That way you wind up with an end result you'll be able to use.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your best bet is to do a lot of online research, and to maybe check out another forum like CastBoolits or shooters - lots of reloaders on there who can point you in the right direction.

Having said that, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong if you went with a brand like RCBS, Dillon or Hornady. All of my gear at the moment is Lee, although in certain circles, "Lee" is a dirty word. Works fine for me, although if I hadn't been trying to be so budget conscious to keep the missus happy, I'd have probably gone with RCBS across the board.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lee is good stuff. To a price point, but it works.

RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady move up the ladder, but don't inherently make better ammo.

Dillon or Hornady progressive are another world. :)

My suggestion, get a couple of books. Buy a basic kit (Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady) with a SINGLE STAGE PRESS. And start reloading.

A single stage press will be useful for your entire reloading career. It will get you started at a good price and then you can see where YOU want to go.

BTW, look at used stuff, you can save a lot of money.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I'm a new reloader as well. I have a couple of tips for you.

Reading and watching vids on youtube will help, but I didn't really grasp everything until I actually used my press and loaded some rounds. Read and watch enough vids so you understand the fundamentals and the steps, then get on the press.

Get some books. I purchased "The ABC's of Reloading" and the Lee reloading manual. Both are a big help with lots of info.

"dry load" some rounds to start with. I loaded quite a few rounds with no primers to get a feel for the equipment, set the COAL, etc.

Use an accurate scale to calibrate your powder thrower. This will change with different types of powder. My particular setup was of by a couple .1's of a grain.

Be consistent. To everything the same way every time. You'll get a rhythm going and will be less likely to make mistakes.

Make small batches at first. It will take you some time to find out what load and COAL will work with your gun with a particular powder and projectile. Make a couple dozen, label them and try 'em out. Then make a change (one at a time!) and try 'em out. You'll eventually find out what works.

I live off of beltway exit 9. If you want to stop by you are welcome to. I'm still a noob so I wont advise you on loads but I can show you how the equipment works.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks for the responses.

I live in Baltimore and work in Columbia. I'd be willing to travel to check out some options. I would be interested in reloading 147 grain 9mm for suppressor use to start. On e I'm comfortable with the process expand to 5.56/.223 and others.

I think I would go with a progressive set up right off the bat, but starting very slowly. I like to learn the ins and outs of things as much as possible, especially when a mistake could result in injury to me, or my firearms.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    OP, where are you located? If you are nearby, I might be able to meet up with you so you can see a press.

I'm local to you...I have a Forster but I just want to make sure I'm doing chit right before I fauk up 100 cases or waste stuff.

What do you say? haha

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Check out the NRA website to the Metallic Reloading Course.

They almost never have them in Maryland, Pennsylvania may be different.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Complete RCBS set up in classifieds. As mentioned, buy the ABC's of Reloading for starters. Most presses come with a DVD these days I think. BPS has all kinds of presses on display.

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Check out x ring supply in newark deleware. They have a few dillon presses set up there and so far the guys I've talked to there have been helpful.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Said it before, but happy to show anyone my setup and load some rounds.

I live in essex.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

You may be getting in deep. I'd like to take you up on it when I get some powder and bullets.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    To start get a couple of manuals and read them cover to cover then read them again. The two I recommend are Lyman and Lee, you want more than one manual anyway so you can cross check loads for reasonableness. +1 on starting with a single stage it will teach you the whys and less chance of a mistake than on a progressive. I started long ago with a Lee Loader "wack a mole" type and many thousands of reloaders have done the same. Once you are comfortable with the basics move up to the progressive you will keep the single stage for doing specialized jobs. Ask any experienced reloader and many have multiple presses and most have at least one single stage they use on a regular basis. I also have a Lee hand press I take to the range when I am doing load development.

Best thing you can do is find a mentor either on a forum like here (Cast Boolits, CMP forum both have reloading sections) or ask around the range you shoot at, pick an old guy who has been doing it for awhile most will be happy to show you how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom