• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Byf43, thanks for reaching out. I appreciate it. For the reasons in my PM (must be pink according to my daughter, lol!), please see if you can extend the offer to another member.

Thanks for all the good info guys. It's helping.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Byf43, thanks for reaching out. I appreciate it. For the reasons in my PM (must be pink according to my daughter, lol!), please see if you can extend the offer to another member.

Thanks for all the good info guys. It's helping.

NO problem!!!!!

My son and I have discussed this bow at great length.

We were given a GREAT deal on this bow, and figured that we'd do the same.

(You know Krylon makes/markets PINK paint, don't you!?!?!?!)

:lol2::lol2:

Slimpickins

Jan 3, 2013
    Hollywood, Md
    I have recently been checking out bows for my daughter who is turning 8 this Sunday. I found a Diamond Atomic bow at a archery shop. It has a Apex 3 pin fiber optic sight, a full capture rest (not a whisker biscuit, but good quality), Quiver, and three arrows for $199... The draw weight is from 6 to 29 lbs, and draw length is 12" to 24"! I think I'm going to pick one up Saturday...

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I think one of the principals runs a bow fishing charter on the Potomac for snakeheads in the Summer. Going to try my luck (on my boat) this Summer.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    For anyone interested in a bow for their child:
    My 9 year old daughter has a Bear Apprentice 3, camo with pink accessories and a black and pink string on the way. It's very adjustable, DW 15-50lbs, DL 15-27" and weighs 3lbs. She loves it, now if I could just get her to go turkey hunting :D

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Dont know if you already bought a bow for your kid, but if you have not...consider a recurve rather than a compound. I think competition type of recurve are cool for kids. Hopefully my eight year old will be interested in archery too...

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Another good shop that offers recurve as well as compound is The Gun Shack, in Mt. Airy.

http://www.crosswindoutdoors.com/Products/Products.html

Good advise regarding finding a local club and getting some lessons. As an active target archer, I assure you all the local clubs readily accept rank novices and will be happy to get you started. Most use the Genesis bows to teach - which even though technically is a compound bow, has no fixed draw length and adjustable draw weight. You can shoot them bare like a recurve, or with sight, arrow rest, stabilizer, and release. Best of both worlds to start and figure out which path you want to take.

Dec 31, 2012
    Time to jump in here. Any updated recommendations for a near 10 year old taller girl? Our new yard doesn't lend itself to firearms but it'll be great for archery. I did quite a bit of archery as a kid and teenager but it's been over 25 years since I've bought a bow. How are those cheaper looking bow kits from Dick's and other big box stores? Reasonable to start a kid with one of those or just go for something better?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Time to jump in here. Any updated recommendations for a near 10 year old taller girl? Our new yard doesn't lend itself to firearms but it'll be great for archery. I did quite a bit of archery as a kid and teenager but it's been over 25 years since I've bought a bow. How are those cheaper looking bow kits from Dick's and other big box stores? Reasonable to start a kid with one of those or just go for something better?

For a girl that young, look at starter bows around the 10-20 lb mark. If she is interested in hunting, then look for growth upto and beyond 30 lbs. As she becomes proficient, she should easily build up the required muscle groups.

Do not buy her a 45 lb bow, that she cannot pull back.

DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    Do not buy her a 45 lb bow, that she cannot pull back.

This! My first bow was a 45# draw longbow, that I struggled with and eventually abandoned, even though I was and remain very keen on archery. Haven't had the leisure to get back to it yet; hope to in the future.

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks, she is strong but definitely not 45 lb pull strong.

The kids bows at Dick's look cheap. We'll just have to make it a daddy/daughter day and cruise around to a few legitimate shops to find one.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    We'll just have to make it a daddy/daughter day and cruise around to a few legitimate shops to find one.

That is a very good idea. Gather her inputs on the features that she prefers.

There are plenty of good compound bows out there that adjust from 5-70 lbs, and will grow with her. They are a little more pricy than the cheap youth bows you will see on store shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom