Bought another old revolver (and I'm not going to tell you what it is)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Found this interesting piece hiding in a local gun shop over the weekend. Nothing like walking into a gun store during the "tactical gun buying craze of 2013" and staring longingly at a case full of early 20th century 6-shooters.:lol2: Initially I was eyeballing another gun in the case, I handled the gun I eventually purchased that day but paid little attention to it, then I went home and in the process of minor research I stumbled across information on the gun I paid little mind to. I went back this morning to put the deposit on that one I failed to look at closely enough.

Now I'm not going to divulge exactly what this gun is because I want to see who here recognizes it or has even ever heard of this particular firearm. Please do not mention the manufacturer or model in your posts! We can still discuss its rarity, very interesting history, rather unique design, or other such things but please refrain from directly mentioning its infamous predecessor, rather obscure model it was based on, or its legendary successor. I'll spill the beans soon, but if I'm waiting 60+ days to pick it up I might as well have some fun with this!:D

Anyways, onto the details. It was almost certainly refinished by the entity that originally purchased it (as an incredibly large number of these guns were); to me I like buying revolvers of this vintage as shooters rather than serious collectibles for various reasons, I care much less for the "book value" than I do actually being able to take such a rare and unique firearm to the range occasionally. Mechanically it feels excellent. It may have been refurbished to very near or up to factory original operating condition when refinished and possibly fired only a few times, if at all, since then; I also think the grips could have been replaced. One thing to note is that, despite the refinish, all of the "correct identifying marks" (trying not to give too much away here lol) are present on the parts they should be on; this indicates that the restoration job was done by the original owner and not cobbled together later with a bunch of old junk parts. Either way, it is mechanically sound and this gun is very rare to find is such good operating condition which is what really matters to me. Doesn't hurt that it looks good enough to pop in a display case after a day at the range and only a collector making serious inquiries before purchase would be able to determine it was refinished. In other words I can shoot it, it's rare as hell, it looks good, and I got it for a sweet price!

Now, let's see who can figure out what it is without posting its actual name!:D
    6fb4bb2a-9d09-4708-9f96-f2cb4b4acadf_zpsfdde4f2c.jpg

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Thank you, the price tag was even prettier. I'll give the exact figure when I reveal the name of the gun, but I will mention that it was under $1000.:party29:

It isn't my line of collecting but it sounds like a real deal. :thumbsup:

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    It isn't my line of collecting but it sounds like a real deal. :thumbsup:

It seems revolver collecting is dying out a bit lately, a lot of the older guys still like them but they seem largely forgotten by the younger generation that grew up with reliable polymer semi-automatics. The cowboy action crowd has certainly done a lot in terms of putting quality single-action replicas (especially ones that aren't Colt 1873 SAA style) and some of the ugly duckling calibers back on the market, yet I feel like that golden age of double-action revolvers from the turn of the century up until just beyond WW2 is being overlooked these days. Sure the mint condition display case examples of highly sought after models like S&W triple locks, Colt Pythons, etc bring big money when they show up. However, many of the military/police guns with even small amounts of wear are priced in the basement relative to their exceptional quality and often nearly pristine operating condition. I'm not complaining as I have no problem digging up perfectly functional revolvers for dirt cheap, one can easily build a handsome collection of high-quality wheelguns these days!:D There's a whole world of nice Model 10, Model 1917, Police Positive, and other such timeless revolvers that collect dust at low prices in a gun dealer's display case.

For example, here's a Colt Police Positive I purchased. It is .32 S&W Long and according to the serial it was originally nickel-plated; the markings are consistent with the Detroit Police Department. Maybe it was refinished, maybe it wasn't, either way I've put over 250 rounds through it by now and only paid $280 for it!
    IMG-20111028-00054.jpg

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I thought I recognized it and a quick check confirmed what I thought. Refinished or not, it looks great considering its age. You might want a professional appraisal on that. Congrats on your find!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

I have no idea what it is, but it's beautiful and I want one. Badly. It's like the bastard child of a early webly and a colt 1917.

What caliber is it?

p.s I intentional included the picture so I could see it again when I scrolled the thread.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have no idea what it is, but it's beautiful and I want one. Badly. It's like the bastard child of a early webly and a colt 1917.

What caliber is it?

It's a double-action breach-loaded (aka "cowboy style" with the loading gate like an old single-action) .45 Long Colt revolver. The pictures don't really show how substantial this bad b**** is in terms of total size; just so folks get an idea that's a 6" barrel, until the modern fascination with enormous magnum calibers necessitated designs like the S&W X-frame this was one of the largest cartridge-firing revolvers ever made. Its size rivaled the S&W 1917 sitting in the same case!

A big heavy 6-shooter in .45LC with an 18lb DA trigger, should be be awesome to shoot with some holy black loaded in her!:D

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You're not supposed to say what it is. Bad lee!

He's actually wrong anyways. The production numbers of the 1878 were over 50,000 and the gun pictured here (as someone pointed out above) was made in much smaller numbers.

In the case with this gun was pretty much one of the best unintended ironic situations I've ever seen. There was an 1878, an 1892, and a 1917 that accidentally depicted the evolution of the double-action cartridge revolver from being essentially a modified 1873 up to the modern design that has changed very little even through today. It was really cool to look at all of them next to each other!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom