• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I looked at the bore before I decided to buy it and it looked good.

I bought it at a Scheels store in Omaha, Ne. and they had to ship it to a store in Sioux City, Iowa since I live in Iowa.

I just looked at the bore again and it has two gouges in the sides of the bore. Someone deliberately damaged the bore after I bought it. I'm taking it back and getting a refund since it looks like Ruger would not repair it without charging for the repair.

Anything else I can do?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Ruger Warranty may or may not cover it but I bought a few used and well abused Rugers and Ruger will repair and restore them for cost of their parts. Ruger even re-finished a 357 Blackhawk that a friend sent them for repair.

Ruger doesn't want to see their guns scrapped, destroyed or bubba'd. They'll do everything to make them look new and without high cost to the collector.

Ruger' Warranty and Customer Service is the Gold Standard for the industry.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Except for guns that no longer have parts available from them, they will keep, and offer a discount on a current equivalent- ish gun.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Scheels has a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480. I'm thinking of trading the damaged Blackhawk for that and getting credit for it. I really don't trust Scheels to get the gun to me safely though.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I decided to just send the gun into Ruger and let them put a new barrel on it.

How do I ship it to them? Can I use the post office?

Still interested in the Ruger Super Blackhawk tho'.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Give Ruger a call first and they will guide you and give you an RMA to ship under. They'll walk you through and give you an idea of the cost. Helps if you tell them your story about the dealer possibly damaging the gun after you purchased and before they shipped it to you. They love a good sob story when it comes to saving an abused, orphan Ruger and how much you love your Rugers.

Been awhile since I shipped anything but it may have to go UPS 2 Day or FedEx. You can't ship handguns through USPS, only long guns.

Customer Service - Prescott, AZ
    Service inquires for PC4/PC9 Carbines and all Pistols excluding the 22 Charger Pistol and SR22 Pistol.
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Customer Service Department

200 Ruger Road
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Telephone: 336-949-5200 / Fax: 928-541-8835

(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the advice but I have good news.

I looked at the gun real close cause I was thinking of taking a few shots with it tonight. The barrel is ported!

Never saw a ported barrel before and I guess the guy at the store hadn't either.

The gun is in perfect condition.

:bannana:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Scheels has a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480. I'm thinking of trading the damaged Blackhawk for that and getting credit for it. I really don't trust Scheels to get the gun to me safely though.

Maybe your local FFL damaged the gun when it was received. Some dealers seem really offended when asked to do transfers.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Hey, I looked at all the reviews and descriptions of the Blackhawk and nowhere did it mention ported barrels.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A previous owner sent it out for (presumably) Mag Na Port'ing . This was/ is a common practice for usually large bore revolvers. ( They have a process fir porting through the slide , but kinda complex, never cought on. Their shotgun porting cought on a bit more than rifle porting, but also is more frequently knocked off . Mag Na Port Arms Inc is also well regarded gunsmith , and builders of low volume semi-customs. While not on any Rugers I can recall , several offering of S&W Custom Shop were Mag Na Ported .)

Unlike most modifications which torpedoes collector value, genuine Mag Na Porting is well regarded enough to only have minimal effect.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I made a video of me trying out my handloads with the Blackhawk. I really like this load with this pistol. To the right is the field where they keep a herd of buffalo. To the rear is the Ranger's building and to the left is where they have some cabins for visiting hunters.

I redid the YT link so it should work now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHJsQAIoyQ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom