• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    Bore sighting help

I live in ellicott city can anyone help me out I would like to shoot it Sunday so any help would be nice. Thanks

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What are you trying to sight? anything you can see down the barrel or should be simple. You pick something far away and center it in the bore. Then you adjust sights/scope to match. You can get a bore periscope or laser to do the same thing. PS This belongs in the Home Gunsmiffing Forum

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    Okay well I thought someone would help with a laser and I was hopeing someone in my area would read and help so that's why I put it here. Thanks for your input and info. Also this is what im tryinhgetting to get on paper ar15 223 with scope

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    +1 on what hvymax said. Break down the upper and simply look down the barrel to center it on the bullseye. Hold it steady as you can and center your reticle on it. Take your time and check it over and over again. It will get you on paper and make your adjustments from there.

It will save you some cash in the meantime too.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    +1 on what hvymax said. Break down the upper and simply look down the barrel to center it on the bullseye. Hold it steady as you can and center your reticle on it. Take your time and check it over and over again. It will get you on paper and make your adjustments from there.

It will save you some cash in the meantime too.

+1 -- this is exactly what I did with my R700 and had it on paper at 50yds with the first shot ... only needed minor adjustments from there

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for bore sighting, i try to pick a point around 100 yds away, just the top of a fence post or the like.

when first shooting, i'd do 25 yds so that you have a decent chance of hitting the paper target. then get it zero or close at 25, shooting 3-5 shots at a time. then set target at 100 and do a final zero.

then shoot at 25, 200, 300, etc to see your point of impacts at those distances so you know where to hold when you have to make those shots again for fun or in competition.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    How far would u set your target at?

First one 25 or 50yds. If you have a big piece of cardboard go for the 100yd. If you have a rest you can do it in 2-3 shots. Fire the first then re aim at center then adjust crosshair to point of impact. Or if you know your click graduations measure over/up/down and count to center.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    With a new scope or iron sights. Like said look down the bore to get close.
    I usualy use a peice of cardboard at 50 yards. Once you dail in at 50 yards.
    That rifle(223) is now also sighted in for 200 yards. Basicly if your on target at 50 yards you will also be on bullseye at 200 yards. This has to do with the arc of the bullets path.
    Now if your normal shooting range is at 100 yards. the point of inpact will be around 2" depending on load lower then the already sighted in 50/200 yard bullseye.

On bullseye or sighted in at 50 yards.
    Rifle will also be sighted in for bullseye at a 200 yard target.
    Look at a trajectory chart for that load/bullet you will find the difference between bullseye at 200 yards and 100 yards is with in 2".
    So aim 2" lower if shooting a 100 yard target. hth:)

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    Thanks everyone I'm use my old military targets 25 meters gets me in at 300 meters my dad has the laser and I never knew it lol so Sunday he will let me use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom