• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    Hello all,

What do you all use to bore clean/oil a 12g barrel? Using the 12G jag and patches that came with the kit I bought did not work out too well because there was not a snug fit.

I ended up wrapping a patch around the 12g brush and running it up and down the barrel.

Growing up I remember cleaning my 20g with my father using patches I just cannot remember what we used as a patch, but was a snug fit whatever it was.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Cut up an old t shirt. Or something similar. For patches.

I just use multiple patches on a brass or wire brush until it comes out dry and clean.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    after i run a bore brush back and forth a couple of times, i wrap a large patch around a bore mop to get all the crud out, from chamber to muzzle, remove, repeat as needed, works great.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For initial cleaning I used to use was rolled up balls of WaPo until it became too toxic to bring into the house.

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I gave up on 12 ga patches a while ago and picked up a Break Through Clean bore snake. I havent touched my shotgun patches or cleaning rods since then.

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    I gave up on 12 ga patches a while ago and picked up a Break Through Clean bore snake. I touched my shotgun patches or cleaning rods since then.

I just bought one to give it a try, ill see how it goes.

How do you oil the inside of the barrel? Do you have more than one snake? For example one for oil and one for bore cleaner?

Thank you for your input.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just bought one to give it a try, ill see how it goes.

How do you oil the inside of the barrel? Do you have more than one snake? For example one for oil and one for bore cleaner?

Thank you for your input.

One snake. I put bore cleaner on the brush portion of the snake then oil about 7/8th of the way down on the snake.

By doing this you get cleaning, oiling, and wiping residule oil all in one pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom