• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    I'm neither a gunsmith nor engineer but have built an M16A1 clone and M4
    from parts kits.

My question to all you guys who know the AR platform inside and out is whether it is possible to manufacture a bolt action version to sidestep
    an assault weapon ban. Seems like eliminating gas system someone could reengineer the bolt and carrier to operate like a straight-pull bolt action
    requiring a two stroke manual operation to first eject a fired case and then a forward stroke to chamber the next round. Alternatively, perhaps the bolt could unlock and eject from blowback then catch in the open bolt
    mode requiring a forward manual action to chamber the next round.

This is not something I would want if the "real thing" were still available but we have to start thinking outside the box.

Let the comments and opinions fly.........

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Buy a Mini-14 they arent lethal apparently.

The Ruger Mini-14 is only lethal in Norway.
    anders-behring-breivik-007.jpg

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Mossberg MVP. Bolt action hunting rifle. accepts AR MAgs...go for around $600...I am looking to buy one...right now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      6.6 KB · Views: 1,080

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Mossberg MVP. Bolt action hunting rifle. accepts AR MAgs...go for around $600...I am looking to buy one...right now...

For the love of god I will repeat the multiple requests...... Bigger pic of what is in your Avatar! :)

Remove the gas tube or yes there are bolt action uppers but only for the big calibers. Never seen one for 223, 308, etc

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yes, it is that simple... remove the gas system.

From the Quartebore website: http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html
    The AR-15 and M-16 rifle system uses a gas tube to allow it's semi-auto or full-auto operation. The easiest way to make a non-semiauto AR-15 pistol is to simply remove the gas tube. After removing the gas tube I like to tap the opening inside the gas block where the gas tube was removed and thread in an allen headed set screw. This in itself creates a charging handle operated bolt action. This can be further improved through milling the upper receiver and adding a bolt handle that is mounted to the AR-15 bolt carrier. In this design, you have about the fastest bolt action in the world as you pull the bolt back to eject the spent cartridge and let it fly forward to load the next cartridge. If the bolt handle is added to the left side (for right handed shooters) this will also assist the shooter for the shooting hand can remain on the pistol grip for firing.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Yes. I am building two bolt action uppers using White Oak uppers. As soon as they come in, that is. Order barrels from whomever and request just the barrel without the gas port drilled. You'll probably have to mount your front sight yourself as the barrel is usually drilled for the front pins after the gas port to assure correct alignment.

It's pretty much a standard AR from there. I am also exploring a pump action modification that would usea rod of the same diameter as the gas tube so it would key into existing BCGs. Modify a lower handguard or float tube for the grip and slide assembly along with a return spring.

Either turn an AR into a non-"assault weapon".

Matt

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    For the love of god I will repeat the multiple requests...... Bigger pic of what is in your Avatar! :)

Remove the gas tube or yes there are bolt action uppers but only for the big calibers. Never seen one for 223, 308, etc

LOL...:lol2: I have been asked about 10 times now...hey, LET'S HAVE AN AVATAR CONTEST!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 961

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    cut a slot in the upper receiver
    add a side charging knob on the bolt
    remove the gas tube

However I dont think it would not make it exempt from the ban because the gas tube could easily be re-added

Attachments

• side charging handle ar.jpg
      side charging handle ar.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 2,429

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    cut a slot in the upper receiver
    add a side charging knob on the bolt
    remove the gas tube

However I dont think it would not make it exempt from the ban because the gas tube could easily be re-added

KrisM, the law specifies mechanism of action, not component makeup or constructive possession of parts. If the gas tube is absent and the firearm is actuated through manual action, it is manual action. I can just as easily argue the hole is for gas ventilation and I'd be correct.

The key here being in the configuration the rifle is in it is not "semi-automatic" in nature. The law says nothing about readily restorable to that state, must be engineered a certain way, etc. No gas port or a blocked gas port and a handle to cycle the bolt, sorry, that's a bolt action rifle.

I put the gas tube and that is a different matter. Or snap on a semi-auto upper.

The law is specific and where it is absent, don't read into it. While their intentions may be one thing, the law is technical and honors only what is precisely said. Too many people argue the "spirit" of the law, know nothing about the subject, craft the law poorly and then get upset when people follow the law's statements to the letter. "Letter" of the law is what matters. If the "spirit" is lacking clarity, so will the "letter".

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom