• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I researched this same question and found that the Savage rifles in .223 are Not Recommended for use in 5.56.

Ruger and Mossberg are GTG but I did not research the CZ, so that's good info to have.

In addition to pressure considerations you may run into extraction problems as I believe the 5.56 brass is a little thicker and requires a slightly larger chamber.

The previous thought is based upon my experience using 7.62x51 in .308 bolt rifles.

Except .308 vs. 7.62 is the other way around. Commericial .308 is hotter than military 7.62.

"Not recommended" is lawyer speak for, it is not our fault. :D

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Not wood.

But I like the Scout Rifle concept. But I would get the real thing:

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/steyr-scout.html

The Steyr is the only one that meets all the criteria set down by Jeff Cooper about the Scout rifle.

Yeah, your right. The MVP does offer lam.wood, but not with irons. Irons on the Patrol. You could probably find a stock on Ebay. The .223/5.56 does not fit Coopers scout concept either.

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Good article.

As an FYI CZ claims there 527s are fine with 5.56

"Our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. So our .223s will shoot everything from the cheapest Russian steel to match .223 brass ammo."

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

So does Mossberg

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-varmint-predator/

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They are a classic but good luck finding one in .223. Been scouting for a .308 for a while, the only ones I come across are .243. May go pursue York tomorrow.

I've been looking for one in .223 for years. They come up occassionally but usually go for twice what a .308 goes for.

Good luck finding your .308. It's a great little rifle.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    A Remington Model Seven is an option. Is available in .223. My brother has a first year in .243. Great little rifle a lot of people forget.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190223-100145_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20190223-100145_Chrome.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 226

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    CZ’s Model 527 Carbine and Lux are current models that meet your specs.

Savage Hog Hunter will give you the irons, but not the wood. Same with the Scout.

CZ - YES!

Now that being said; to be brutally honest, well done synthetic stocks (not the cheap ass ones) are more practical and better than wood. I would not discount something like the Savage (not the Axis model).

Now here's another idea; get the cheap ass Savage Axis model (if they have one with irons) but put a Boyd's stock on it, and throw the original in the trash. Then you will really have something. :party29:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Oh hell - there you go! Good one!

[EDIT] Don't those have a short LOP? You might have to add a spacer - but so what?

Agree with the synthetic stock opinion. Some are nice(like the one on my Savage Scout)and some are trash. The Model Seven is a tiny bit shorter. And, they make a compact one too. But, that is a plastic stock. My brothers fits my average build perfectly.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A Remington Model Seven is an option. Is available in .223. My brother has a first year in .243. Great little rifle a lot of people forget.

Never been a big Remington fan but that's a nice little rifle. Laminate is a good compromise between wood and synthetic for field work.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, your right. The MVP does offer lam.wood, but not with irons. Irons on the Patrol. You could probably find a stock on Ebay. The .223/5.56 does not fit Coopers scout concept either.

No, but Steyr does make their Scout in that caliber. Cooper is probably spinning in his grave.

But for the right needs, a Scout in 5.56 is not that bad of an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom