• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I recently handled a Mossberg MVP scout in a gun shop and it felt as right as rain to me. It fit perfectly against my shoulder as is. My next rifle purchase, or one of the other 308 MVP versions.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I have a lot of rugers. Three ruger americans, 22lr, 300blk and 450 bushmaster. I use them for hunting, and I dont fell bad taking them out in the rain. The fit and finish is acceptable given the performance and the price. Workhorse rifles!

My vintage Ruger M77 30-06 is my absolute favorite rifle. Fit and finish are worth triple the price of an american. If i had a total loss boating accident and could only buy one gun it would be tie up between an exact replacement of this, one of the more modern ones in 308 with a box mag and factory threaded barrel, or a JM marlin.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I know little more than some of previous but still not bad for what you get, Tika T3 in whatever flavor floats your boat. Super smooth action, triggers that rival many custom triggers and guaranteed MOA.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would get a ruger american predator

Inspect the stock to see if it really free floating. If its touching the barrel file the inside of the stock down until it isn't. A hacksaw will work.

And if you think it's ugly...get a few cans if spray paint and it will look cool.

Money saved

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem here is that we're discussing rifles with a price range of ~$400 to ~$1000. You're going to get some real differences between the two ends of that price range. The Ruger American has a trash stock (and it's not free-float issues). The MVP has uncomfortable amounts of bolt play at full retraction. The Remington has QC issues. The T/C Compass and Tikkas have limited after-market support. The list goes on.

If the OP is really budget-constrained, I think the RAP and Howa 1500 are hard to beat. If you absolutely must use SR-25 or M14 mags, the MVP is serviceable and has some after-market options, but not a lot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What will the rifle be used for? And where to you want to go down the road?

I am a big fan of the scout rifle (but would get the REAL one, the Steyr). But if you are looking at doing long range precision shooting, that is not the best tool. But neither is a heavy barrel 24" rifle for hunting deer in MD.

What is your budget? Remembering that the rule of thumb is, your optics should cost about the cost of the rifle or more. So rifle is less than half the money you would spend.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I would have to take a close look at CZ. Was shooting my Cooper M57 next to a guy with a CZ 450 and it was every bit as accurate.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have two Ruger Americans and a Savage 10. I would give a slight nod to the Savage model 10/11; but both brands are solid. I don't have a T/C Compass, but I do have an T/C Icon and that thing is definitely the most accurate out of the box of the three. I don't think you are gong to go wrong with Ruger, Savage, or T/C. Can't speak for a Remington bolt gun but I think a 700 would be fine. Depending on what you want to use the rifle for; something like 223 Rem, 6.5 Grendel, or even 7.62x39 might be more cost effective and pleasant to shoot (these three calibers are way less expensive than 308). On the other hand I put a limb saver on my Savage 308 and it's like shooting an AR; very mild. And 308 is sort of a do everything caliber.

[EDIT] Another thing nice about 308 is it seems to do well with shorter barrels; not sure I would get a 30-06 or 270 rifle with an 18 or 20 inch barrel. Perhaps because 308 is a shorter cartridge? Not sure. An 18" barrel Remington model 7 with a laminate stock is sharp looking; but not cheap.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The OP shouldn't overlook good used rifles...some from the past that are very available are like the S&W 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, various Colt rifles built on the FN and Sako actions, older Savages, Winchester Model 70s, Remington 721, 722 AND 725 rifles...lots to choose from.

If he wanted a .30-06 I have a beautiful Weatherby Mark V i'd make him a great deal on.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Another vote for howa. They are awesome rifles for the price! I bought one of the "tactical packages" on sale some years back from buds. It was a 1500 dipped in the kryptek typhoon camo with a 20" bull barrel, detachable 5 round box mag, 4-16 power scope with rings, and a bi pod and i want to say I paid 550 for the rifle. The only complaints I had was not with the rifle itself but with the magazine and the scope. Both the mag and scope worked but quality of the two was not on par with the rifle. Anyways, please dont over look howa line they are great rifles that are very comparable with the other higher dollar competitor.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    OP Here

Cool, thanks, as always good advice here, I've got much to think about. In no particular order:

Yeah, I'm on a strict budget, one kid in college now, and the second following down that track, fast. Gotta be $$ responsible. But while still trying to think about having fun as an empty-nester.

I'm thinking I'll start shooting long on a range to get back into it before getting back to hunting, which has been awhile.

And given that things are $$ tight, I'd like to diversify my long gun calibers. I've got a Remy 12 gauge, can plink all day long with my Ruger 10/22 LR, am set with a .223, and so am thinking of adding to that.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Ruger American in 308 with the short threaded barrel. I did not realize the stock made it not float so since I'm happy with the accuracy (hunting) I guess there is room to grown.
    I got it to put my 30 cal suppressor on and work up subsonic reloads. Ended up with something as quiet as an airsoft gun.
    I was advised by someone who made a post to someone else's thread (Ed Shell?) to start by shooting some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo to see what accuracy I could get. I got 1MOA @ 100 yards and worked up hunting reloads until I got the same accuracy using no so expensive bullets. I'm hoping in the spring to work up some better bullets for a longer range reload. Took it hunting in Tx this fall and took 2 deer @100 yards and it was dead nuts on.
    I think I paid around $400 for the rifle and $150 for the scope.

My only thing about used rifles is knowing what your gonna get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom