• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    A couple of tiny layers of bedliner won't do sh*t as anti-spaulling protection. Needs to be at least 1/4 thick itself minimum on top of the armor (better is 3/8" to 1/2" thick). The term means that the layer will capture all the fragments of the projective as it disintegrates from impact if no penetration. Otherwise you might survive but your d*ck could end up being shorter or your toes could get shredded.
    Not to mention that regular bedliner compound does not have the correct properties to function as an anti-spaulling layer.

The bed liner was suppose to be a little tongue in cheek humor. I know the joke does not translate well in print.

Looks good, paint too.

Where did you pick that up? Hardened?

Needs some shaping; otherwise perfect.

Level IV?

I just got some 3/8 inch AR500 plate and painted it for fun.
    I do not have the type of equipment it would take to bend to shape. It's not ideal, but fine for a goofing around the house project.

Thanks for the nice comment.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For those looking, Mike at A1Uniform can custom fit you on the spot with the nice new 4 piece system that offers a lot more comfort then the standard front and back plate that is supposed to but doesn't effectively cover the sides. Plus as I've seen he's not gonna try to upsell you. Tell him what you want and he will find you needs

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    mpdc4511 talked me out of buying body armor a couple years ago. The nutshell version: heavy, expensive for good stuff, uncomfortable, for most of us likely closet queen gear. Pretty much makes sense unless you just want it for shits & grins or somebody gives it to you.

Fast forward to the week before the election and a package shows up on my porch, a very good old friend sent me a set of 11x14 SAPI shooter cut UHMW plates with the note, "You need to get your own carrier. Si vis pacem, para bellum." These plates are on the order of $300/plate, Level III+ rated up to .308 FMJ, not AP rated or M855 rated. While very light they are also an inch thick, that meant my Condor carrier I have setup as a load bearing vest doesn't quite work with these plates for my fat ass. So I had to order a custom carrier, plan on $600 and up to $1300 for a good one. The fit issue isn't just the middle aged gut with most carriers, if you wear a suit with a 48 or larger chest you may run into fit problems with thick plates and if you're over 5'10" a lot of the non-US made budget carriers do not have enough shoulder adjustment for the plates to sit in the right places); your other option is to search out used military ballistic vests in large or extra large sizes. Good luck finding it in other than ACU/grandma's couch camo and at a minimum the used is going to cost $400-$500 plus you have no idea what condition the integral soft armor is in. Yes, I will end up with an expensive SHTF closet queen piece of gear for the most part but at least I'm attempting to utilize a very well meant gift.

As for the carrier I use as a load bearing vest. If you get one with a full cummerbund that is stitched to the back of the carrier, NOT attached by elastic straps, if you pull it tight it gives you some back support similar to a hardback shooting coat. As you age you need that back support, it limits your mobility a bit but your knees probably do too. With the amount of MOLLE and velcro on most carriers you can configure all kinds of pouches, holster and what not to a configuration that works for you unlike the pre-setup gunshow tacticool LBE vests. Yes, I have an IFAK on mine and I know how to use most of what's in it, I could use a refresher course. I also carry a full up platoon medic level kit (less the controlled substances) in my vehicle when going to the range; I do not know how to use everything in this kit but I know I don't. I use this setup when I go play at the local tactical/tacticool shooting events and unlike a lot of the folks who play them I just walk the course, my fat old ass ain't running unless I gotta.

I also have two helmets, the basic use for them is to mount my NVG because NVG is just really, really cool shit. One helmet is a bump (blunt trauma protection only) the other is ballistic because why not. I actually find the ballistic more comfortable but I wear a 20" neck dress shirt so the little bit of extra weight doesn't bother me. I do use these a few times a year to go for after dark woods walks, I may get into some of the night hog and 'yote hunting that happens down here.

All that said and what many others have said, it sucks to get shot no matter what you're wearing. It's going to hurt so try not to get shot. There's nothing wrong with being prepared for your job, your general life situation or SHTF just don't be a mall ninja about it. Be honest why you want it, be realistic about what it can and cannot do and if you're going to bother with it at least buy good stuff. To me it is less of a waste of money than a little red convertible sports car.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm not against folks owning body armor, in fact I'm for it! I just try to talk people out of wasting their money which could go to awesome guns, range time, or training.

It's a cost vs benefit thing. If we were really really worried about better safe then sorry or a SHTF scenario we would all buy F550s because it's proven time and time again that your more likely to die in a car accident then a zombie attack :).

That being said it's not my money and you ladies and gents are free to do as you please with your hard earned cash. I just hate the illusion I'm buying it for SHTF.....your buying it because it's cool. Nothing wrong with that.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Body Armor is really cool until you have to wear it. My advice would be not to get shot. If you get hit squarely with it on you will at the very least be stunned a bit and lose any edge you might have had in the confrontation. If you are hanging out in downtown B-more in an apartment with really thin walls I say go for it. I am willing to bet that most people that have it and need it won't be lugging it around when the time comes to use it. Unless you are planning on robbing a bank, then you might be lugging it around with you. I spent three years being forced to wear it anytime I went outside. The stuff isn't light and it makes you sweat, a lot.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Anyone look into patriot defense. They claim a proprietary spall guard and their trauma pads are supposed to dissipate up to 87.5% of impact energy.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I found it interesting that when I recently took my NRA Instructor course for Pistol, the TC actually recommended purchasing soft body armor. His take was that over the years, he had been hit multiple times by ricochets hard enough to leave bruises and/or welts and if we were going to be spending a lot of time at the range it might be a worthwhile investment.

I can definitely see the logic. Especially seeing that just last month, glass was flying everywhere when someone in a neighboring lane shot out a light fixture at an indoor range. Just because YOU or YOUR shooting buddies or YOUR students or YOUR trainer isn't doing anything that could cause a ricochet or not exercising proper muzzle awareness, does not mean that the other folks at the range are as well trained or as well disciplined. Seeing as I intend to spend a lot more time at various indoor and outdoor ranges this year, I think that I might actually start wearing soft armor.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I found it interesting that when I recently took my NRA Instructor course for Pistol, the TC actually recommended purchasing soft body armor. His take was that over the years, he had been hit multiple times by ricochets hard enough to leave bruises and/or welts and if we were going to be spending a lot of time at the range it might be a worthwhile investment.

I can definitely see the logic. Especially seeing that just last month, glass was flying everywhere when someone in a neighboring lane shot out a light fixture at an indoor range. Just because YOU or YOUR shooting buddies or YOUR students or YOUR trainer isn't doing anything that could cause a ricochet or not exercising proper muzzle awareness, does not mean that the other folks at the range are as well trained or as well disciplined. Seeing as I intend to spend a lot more time at various indoor and outdoor ranges this year, I think that I might actually start wearing soft armor.

Or a sweat shirt but as I stated above, not my money.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If you get body armor make sure you train with it on to get the feel of how you move in it. It will effect your ability to move, breathe and shoot as you normally would. If you are going to use a shotgun or carbine your shoulder to cheek distance if just a bit different enough it may effect the shot. IMHO Chris.

stacks3700

Member Member
    Mar 30, 2017
    Speaking of body armor/plate carriers, who has some laying around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Speaking of body armor/plate carriers, who has some laying around?

I have a Tactical Tailor carrier I don’t need.

Attachments

• E67AF1AB-AE78-4C2D-86AA-69991A220A64.jpg
      E67AF1AB-AE78-4C2D-86AA-69991A220A64.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 240

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I need made for inner body, requirements for work. Thank you though.

"Inner" body? You mean concealed soft body armor? Shouldn't your job show you where/how to get some? Typically a wearer should be measure for proper fit.

stacks3700

Member Member
    Mar 30, 2017
    No, i actually meant body armor meant for interior wear. And i have to wait 6 months for an “allowance”. I rather purchase on my own.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    No, i actually meant body armor meant for interior wear. And i have to wait 6 months for an “allowance”. I rather purchase on my own.

I'm guessing you're looking for a level 3A?

The long and short of it is that protection and comfort (both are important) cost money and as Blaster said, they need to be individually fitted for optimum performance, protection, and comfort.

Also, keep in mind that they do have a service life/expiration date when considering something that someone has "lying around".

Unless you're stuck in that particular job right now, I'd be going elsewhere ASAP. If they can't/won't issue you a decent vest and/or provide you with an allowance prior to actually needing one - tell them to eat it and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom