• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    If you got your panties up in such a wad as to never darken his doorstep again??? You got to be kidding. Good luck at our other St. Mary county options, ala the tackle box. Bend over and smile. I will gladly make up any loss revenue Bob may experience from your absence. Bob told me last weekend that with my retired ID, I am good to go for future purchases. Be back there this weekend to make another

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    OK, here is the link to the regulations in the first post: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132410
    Go to page 11 of the PDF top lefthand corner section B-2 is what I quoted about active or retired not requiring the HQL at all. Now look at the next column section 29-B-4 under training requirements Honorably discharged are exempted from completing the training requirement but still have to apply and submit fingerprints for the HQL

HQL required for purchase and training to get an HQL are two different things. The way you worded your statement blending them into the same sentance, lends to misintrepretation.

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    I love Bobs Sunoco. Every time I have shopped and bought from Bobs the staff have been great. Knowledgable, professional and patient answering all my lame questions. :cool:

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    If you got your panties up in such a wad as to never darken his doorstep again??? You got to be kidding. Good luck at our other St. Mary county options, ala the tackle box. Bend over and smile. I will gladly make up any loss revenue Bob may experience from your absence. Bob told me last weekend that with my retired ID, I am good to go for future purchases. Be back there this weekend to make another

If so then why did he tell me the exact opposite?
    Tackle Box is not the only other dealer in Maryland.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    If so then why did he tell me the exact opposite?
    Tackle Box is not the only other dealer in Maryland.
    Never been to Bob's but planning on it soon.

The regulations were passed three days ago. Since then, the Governor's Office, the Attorney General, The Secretary of the State Police, every major gun org in Maryland and the State Legislature have decided none of us know the final story.

The MSP and the AG are arguing over little details like whether Bob can transfer a gun come 1 October. And you expect Bob* to have known the answer the day you showed up - before the regulation were even official and published?

* I assume that Bob's Sunoco is actually run by a guy named "Bob". Seems reasonable to me. But I don't know for sure.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Bob is indeed the name of the owner, just look for the man with the cowboy hat. Good guy, tonight I added to my Glock collection thanks to Bob and his great employees. Boy they sure have a lot of patience.

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    I was there for the first time this morning. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. They informed me that I was a week or so late and they usually have way more stock...the rack and display cases were about 3/4 full and they have a shipment coming in Friday. A lady and her husband were there picking out her hand gun when I walked in. By the time I left every flat surface was filled with someone filling out paperwork.

Last edited:

Tony V

Feb 22, 2013
    California
    I'm a retired Marine. I buy pretty much exclusively from Bob. And now that I have my MD Regulated Collectors letter, I'll be buying even more....

They got a nice beer selection as well...:D

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Never been to Bob's but planning on it soon.

The regulations were passed three days ago. Since then, the Governor's Office, the Attorney General, The Secretary of the State Police, every major gun org in Maryland and the State Legislature have decided none of us know the final story.

The MSP and the AG are arguing over little details like whether Bob can transfer a gun come 1 October. And you expect Bob* to have known the answer the day you showed up - before the regulation were even official and published?

* I assume that Bob's Sunoco is actually run by a guy named "Bob". Seems reasonable to me. But I don't know for sure.

I was not referring to the new, questionable pick up after Oct 1 if purchased this week. It has always been in the bill that retired police officers, active duty and retired military would not require an HQL. When I questioned Bob about it he said retired didn't have to do the training part but still needed an HQL

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I was not referring to the new, questionable pick up after Oct 1 if purchased this week. It has always been in the bill that retired police officers, active duty and retired military would not require an HQL. When I questioned Bob about it he said retired didn't have to do the training part but still needed an HQL
    I hear you and surely understand hour frustration. What I was trying to illustrate in a fairly tired state is that this 50+ page law is a shit sandwich filled with shit. I realize that legal jargon is confusing, so let me exain that a little better: the state crapped on you and Bob at the same time. You understand the details of your situation and admirably so. But dudes like Bob gotta understand them all. Or they go to jail.

What I was trying to do was illustrate that, but I failed. Last week both I and the NRA had to race to the books to attempt to verify something we both thought true. we were wrong.

I guess my overall point - beyond the above - is that we need to remember who butters our bread and who craps on it. You and Bob are on the same team.

Education is important. These dealers are working with MSP daily, but the answers we seek are sometimes not available the day we want. And the things that are obvious to you (I agree with your contention about retired vets), are not always so cut and dry to the people who go to jail for making even one mistake.

Trying to help. Hope I did.

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    I went down to Bob's this morning to pick up my last EBR lower. :sad20: There were stacks and stacks of pistol sized boxes with names taped to them and a steady stream of people coming in to pick up purchases. They've been doing 8 day release for a while. On the other hand I'd heard that Accurate Arms wasn't doing 8 day release and that place was a ghost town when I stopped by on the way home.

Nov 3, 2013
    in the water
    I'm just now hearing about this shop from this thread but it seems worth checking out.
    I'm entertaining the idea of some Class III purchases before the proposed NFA trust changes occur. Would Bob be able to guide me through setting up a trust or do I need to look elsewhere to get this done? Can anyone give me a rough cost for the set-up fees?

Thanks so much for any guidance.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Looking for a .22LR suppressor - called Bob's however the gentleman who I spoke to didn't really understand the process or know what vendors they can order from. Took my info last week but I have not heard back. :(

Mar 4, 2013
    Looking for a .22LR suppressor - called Bob's however the gentleman who I spoke to didn't really understand the process or know what vendors they can order from. Took my info last week but I have not heard back. :(

Sounds right. I dropped of my trust documents because I have 2 cans there, 3 weeks later I receive no call from bobs. I think this is odd because they had no at forms on hand. So I called out of curiosity and asked what is holding up my paperwork?

The person who helped me was "kat" she explained that my app was missing fingerprints and photos. I explained that a trust eliminates those items and was told Naw you have to have them.

I politely told them they wasted a month of my time and i will be sending to another dealer.
    When i was there asking questions they said they knew nothing about the process and were learning.

I will not be the guinea pig, I will send to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Do NOT send your class 3 stuff to bobs. They have no clue how to handle NFA firearms.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    They are apparently having issues regarding the NFA paperwork. Had a friend get a suppressor transferred there and Bob's told him that they could do the eform 4, but that he had to supply a copy of his trust to go through MSP. When they tried to explain that the Trust paperwork only had to go to ATF, they told him he was wrong, MSP now wanted a copy of his Trust. I understand there may be some confusion, but come on, if you're going to sell NFA, at least call the ATF for clarification if there is an issue.
    I've been there and have not been at all impressed! I just go through a small local FFL and get what I want, as for NFA, I have another FFL. There transfer prices are good, so maybe in awhile when they figure out the process, I may try them for NFA....

Mar 4, 2013
    Im very upset. I dont want to delay a 10 month process another month due to not knowing how to handle the transfer. Honestly Im afraid if they make a mistake I may somehow be liable later on.

Time to eject and go with a reputable NFA retailer.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    I thought I saw cans in stock at Accurate. I could be wrong, but worth a phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom