• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcsnowden1

May 1, 2022
    Frederick
    Does anyone know of any places I could put an 18ft. Grizzly in and do some fishing near Frederick without tearing up my propellor on rocks? We just moved back to the area and I want to take the family out fishing a couple times before winter.

Also, I wouldn't mind driving further out if the fishing is good. More so concerned with staying out of rocks. Would truly appreciate the help.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I use to put in at mouth of monacacy with a outboard prop. Have to be cautious this time of year but it's possible. Princess st boat ramp in Shepherdstown is also plenty deep. About 1 mile upriver you will run into a series of ledges that can be tricky depending on water level but it's passable even in low levels. Whites ferry ramp near Dickerson MD has a pretty deep stretch too just mind the giant cable attached to the ferry when crossing.

Edit to add if you launch at mouth of monocacy when crossing under the aqueduct heading towards potomac ensure you use either of the 2 "ducts" farthest to your right

Last edited:

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I use to put in at mouth of monacacy with a outboard prop. Have to be cautious this time of year but it's possible. Princess st boat ramp in Shepherdstown is also plenty deep. About 1 mile upriver you will run into a series of ledges that can be tricky depending on water level but it's passable even in low levels. Whites ferry ramp near Dickerson MD has a pretty deep stretch too just mind the giant cable attached to the ferry when crossing.

Edit to add if you launch at mouth of monocacy when crossing under the aqueduct heading towards potomac ensure you use either of the 2 "ducts" farthest to your right
    Just rode my mountain bike over the Monocacy aqueduct bridge yesterday and stopped to look down looks mighty shallow under all the arches…..maybe with some rainfall that will improve….

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Just rode my mountain bike over the Monocacy aqueduct bridge yesterday and stopped to look down looks mighty shallow under all the arches…..maybe with some rainfall that will improve….
    I don't doubt it it's been a dry year levels are down even considering the time of year.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I kayak fished today from point of rocks to Noland’s Ferry and the water is low.
    No way I’d put my jon boat there.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Whites ferry ramp near Dickerson MD has a pretty deep stretch too just mind the giant cable attached to the ferry when crossing.
    This. When the water gets low in the middle of summer, I head to Whites Ferry. I have a 1448 Jon boat with a prop engine. Go out of the boat ramp go toward the Va side and head up river. You can run a pretty good ways, before it gets shallow. A lot of good fishing in the area.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I don't think the cable is still there since they closed the Ferry. Last time I was there, I didn't notice it. Did get a decent lunch at the little store though.

mcsnowden1

May 1, 2022
    Frederick
    This. When the water gets low in the middle of summer, I head to Whites Ferry. I have a 1448 Jon boat with a prop engine. Go out of the boat ramp go toward the Va side and head up river. You can run a pretty good ways, before it gets shallow. A lot of good fishing in the area.
    Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom