• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I am going to give Maryland the benefit of the doubt on this one. I would like to get my small boat trailer inspected but can not find any place in my area of Fair Hill/Elkton. Is anyone aware of a place in this area that does small trailers. The trailer hold a 12' Jon Boat and it has NO brakes. I feel it is ridiculous that a trailer of this size needs an inspection anyway. I thought coming from Jersey they were stupid with their laws, but they do not even inspect trailers under a GVW under 3500 lbs. I would do it in Maine but they do not even register trailers under 3500 lbs. Maryland :sad20: needs to get with the other 49 states!

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I am going to give Maryland the benefit of the doubt on this one. I would like to get my small boat trailer inspected but can not find any place in my area of Fair Hill/Elkton. Is anyone aware of a place in this area that does small trailers. The trailer hold a 12' Jon Boat and it has NO brakes. I feel it is ridiculous that a trailer of this size needs an inspection anyway. I thought coming from Jersey they were stupid with their laws, but they do not even inspect trailers under a GVW under 3500 lbs. I would do it in Maine but they do not even register trailers under 3500 lbs. Maryland :sad20: needs to get with the other 49 states!

I would think that any Certified MerryLand Inspection Station should be willing to give it an inspection...

You should only need Wheels, Tires, Running Lights, Brake Lights & to verify that it has a safety chain so it can't become disconnected from you car or truck...

Expect to pay about $75.xx

Here is a list of the Certified Inspections in Elkton...

http://www.yellowpages.com/elkton-md/automobile-inspection-stations-services

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Thanks SGT23. I have tried about half of those on the list. Some don't do it and others say the boat has to be off the trailer. I can not even lift the boat of the bunks due to the weight of the decks I have in it. I am aware of what it takes to make a trailer safe too cause I do DOT inspections on tractor trailers in PA. I am going to have to keep going down that list. Thanks SGT23.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I use Staab in Maine for my heavy trailer and I have not called them but on their site it say no registration needed under 3500 lbs. I have called about 15 shops in the Elkton area and either they do not do trailers or the boat has to be off the trailer. I may have to try and coax the boat off the trailer with my tractors front end loader.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Register it in Maine would be the way to go. I have never heard of having to remove the boat for inspection before. I've had several boat trailers inspected and have never removed the boat. Any inspection station that inspects cars can do trailers under 19 feet in length. I don't even think they can say no.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I will register in Maine. After reading Proteges post I reread Staabs site and I misread. You do not have to title a TITLE under 3000 lbs. You CAN register.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Register it in Maine would be the way to go. I have never heard of having to remove the boat for inspection before. I've had several boat trailers inspected and have never removed the boat. Any inspection station that inspects cars can do trailers under 19 feet in length. I don't even think they can say no.
    Lol, they can say no. I do. I hate inspecting trailers...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Besides "fitting it in" with everyone's busy day, hard to imagine why else anyone would say no to inspecting a trailer, especially something as easy/fast as a single axle/no brakes. Seems like easy money to me?

The only reason I could see is the non drivers who simply can't back a trailer up.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    Maine

I have 5 of them registered in Maine. No inspection required is a great thing. You have to go to MVA and title it first (pay MD state tax) then you can register it online at the website listed above. $99 for 5 years.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Past discussions on Maine tags seem to indicate that MD law says at least one trailer for each tow vehicle you own must have a MD tag. In other words if you have a truck and two trailers then one has to be tagged in MD. I have 1 trailer which is why it's not tagged in Maine.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Past discussions on Maine tags seem to indicate that MD law says at least one trailer for each tow vehicle you own must have a MD tag. In other words if you have a truck and two trailers then one has to be tagged in MD. I have 1 trailer which is why it's not tagged in Maine.

And they say only drive your historic tagged vehicle to shows in the weekend :innocent0

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    And they say only drive your historic tagged vehicle to shows in the weekend :innocent0

Just drive around my neighborhood.....more and more "historic" vehicles everyday....one house has nothing but vehicles with historic tags.....majority of them clearly could not pass inspection.....just people gaming the system because of little or no enforcement.....hopefully the GA will have the gonads to address the issue this year.....however it will probably will take someone being killed by one of these POS vehicles before something happens.............

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Hey, at least they are paying something. It's even worse in rural states - people put "applied for tags" on cardboard cutouts where the license plate goes and drive around.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA

I've never been able to find that in writing. I sold the MD tagged trailer, but kept my Maine tagged wagon.

Sent from Foxtrot-Mike 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom