• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Forgive me, but the filthy state of the gun might have something to do with the failure, not poor maintenance. I assume he was firing prior to the failure, so that would create some of the dirtiness, but with two rounds failing like that, I feel that the extreme filth of the gun is likely attributed to the explosions that seem to have taken place outside of the chamber. Just my opinions.

Might first reaction was the gun was filthy as well, but never seeing a failure like that I don't know what a gun would look like after such an out of chamber explosion....

Curious to hear because I'm using the Remington white box in my new AR and would hate to go through that... Anyone else find the Remington white box .223 to work well in their AR?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Examination is complete. The gun is worn but not unsafe. Headspace still checks safe and the barrel Lugs and Slide Lug recesses are in good condition. The gun is dirty but not unsafe. It was dry.

The AMMO is the cause for the failure.

There was no squib, the barrel was clear.

The Round in the chamber blew out where there was no case support. This piereced the top round in the mag and caused that round to explode. TWO rounds blew up in this gun.

It held up AMAZINGLY well and the aluminum frame did NOT contribute to the damage. The alloy frame cracked on bith sides of the slide stop, at the back where the beaver tail is, and on the rear rails and safety hole.

There was definately a double charge. The clide was locked up and in battery when this happened.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Huh, mystery solved... guess I'm surprised that the double-charged round was able to ignite the top round in the magazine, although this does provide a very neat explanation for the position and condition of that second round...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Huh, mystery solved... guess I'm surprised that the double-charged round was able to ignite the top round in the magazine, although this does provide a very neat explanation for the position and condition of that second round...

A cartridge with the right amount of powder in it.

The scary part, that was factory ammo.

What's the lot number on the box?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ok, I was wondering how well that frame took it. Kept frag out of his hand, but sounds like that piece is toasted.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Ok so 3 pages of alloy frame hate and then the pictures show no actual frame damage (that I can see in the pictures at least). But the stainless slide is blown to shit. So how would a steel frame made any difference in this case?

I don't know if you're aware, but the pics in the OP went up after all that discussion about alloy frames. We didn't have anything to go on aside from knowledge that an alloy-framed 1911 had failed in a very bad way. Regardless, your point is taken.

The AMMO is the cause for the failure.

The Round in the chamber blew out where there was no case support. This piereced the top round in the mag and caused that round to explode. TWO rounds blew up in this gun.

There was definately a double charge. The clide was locked up and in battery when this happened.

Wow. That's pretty much a Golden BB scenario; if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen and there's nothing you can do aside from pray you've got a well-built gun. Which is part of the reason why I like over-built Rugers. :party29:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is true.

Although my uncle's P-90 obliterated a recoil spring/rod in fantastic fashion at an IDPA shoot a few years back, but in Ruger's defense, he was going crazy with +P loads before that happened.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Holy crap, I got part of it right, double-charge.

So that means you're only partly smart as Chad but for being partly wrong, you still have to drop yer britches and squeal like a pig when Chad slaps you on yer ass.

Thanks for playing, "Are you Smarter than a Gunsmith?":D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :lol:

Haha, never proclaimed to be smarter than a 'smith. Hearing all I've heard about Chad, I think I'll keep my britches cinched up one notch tighter... :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The scary part, that was factory ammo.

What's the lot number on the box?

21160241_photobucket_75723_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members