• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    I started a thread in "Outdoor Sports" but thought I should add one here too. After 8 years of paying my dues, I finally got picked for a black bear tag this year. I'm looking for a place to hunt, preferably a land owner with a bear problem, although I'll pretty much take whatever I can get.

Let me provide a brief intro:

32-year old male, married w/ no kids (did NOT vote O'Malley or Obama). No criminal background including natural resource violations. Will likely be hunting alone, although wife may want to tag along if allowed. Plan on hunting with a rifle (Marlin 336 in .35 Rem) but am willing to use muzzleloader, shotgun, or bow if landowner requests.

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it. Any more questions, just send me a PM and we can discuss here or on the phone.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    No criminal background including natural resource violations.

That may be a problem for you in Western MD.

I sent you a PM.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Good luck finding a land owner, you might want to leave your wife at home cause if you find a landowner he's probably going to want to tag along since he probably won't have a bear tag.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    I am a landowner...

in Garrett County. I have applied for permits EVERY year. Never have been lucky 'nuff to be one of the "chosen ones."
    The rules need to change!

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    As I understand it, Garrett and Allegany county residents were guaranteed to be at least 25% of the tags this year. So they are trying to change that, but I can understand your feelings. They gave us unlimited antlerless deer during the bow season to help cull the herd, but I'm still struggling to find places to hunt.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Agreed. We are the ones that have to deal with bear problems, we should get dibs on it.
    You do get dibs. 90 out of the 360 permits are given to Garrett and Allegany resident only. The other 270 are split between the 21 other counties and Balt. city, so I would say you have dibs over most of us

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    You do get dibs. 90 out of the 360 permits are given to Garrett and Allegany resident only. The other 270 are split between the 21 other counties and Balt. city, so I would say you have dibs over most of us

DISAGREE!

Out of state hunters can also apply for permits, and some get them!

Truc

Sep 17, 2013
    Myersville, MD
    My wife drew a black bear tag, we had been in the draw for 7 yrs. Trying to learn as much as possible before then. Wish we had bear hunting here as they are getting as bad as deer. A neighbor had his game camera out and got five different bear in it and not 1/4 mile from my house. Several yrs ago my sister had one in her tree in Frederick. It was on the news. Two yrs ago one stole my prize watermelon out of the garden while I was in Maine at a rifle match. She called me thinking it was a person but when I got home I found it halfway to the woods with bite and claw marks all over it. I have pics.

garrett

Sep 2, 2013
    Western MD
    I maybe able to help you out if you are still looking for a place to hunt. We should probably talk. Send a PM. I got my last permit in 2006 and was successful. Doesn't matter to me if I hunt or not.

Truc

Sep 17, 2013
    Myersville, MD
    We went Bear hunting this past week North of New Germany State Park and saw 5 bear, my wife had one come out about 30 yds and shocked her enough that the bear got away before she could aim. I had 4 run by at 600 yds but presented no shot

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I'm curious about the results of the season. Times-News had an article about those charged with violations during the hunt but no results except for the photo of the first bear checked on Monday. Anybody know where an accounting can be found? Has it become such old hat that DNR isn't even releasing it anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom