• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I live bordering a farm and woods.

Last night, our less than year old cat got out and returned with nasty bite wounds. He'll be going to the vet today, and itll have to involve shots and few stitches.

I've seen couple foxes, one rather monstrous and other smaller. What is the law on shooting foxes attacking residential/domesticated pets?
    It is possible that it may have been a bird of prey.

I live bordering a farm and woods.

Last night, our less than year old cat got out and returned with nasty bite wounds. He'll be going to the vet today, and itll have to involve shots and few stitches.

I've seen couple foxes, one rather monstrous and other smaller. What is the law on shooting foxes attacking residential/domesticated pets?
    It is possible that it may have been a bird of prey.

SSS.

If it was a fox I'd venture to say the cat was lucky to have only used 1/9 lives.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Have the cat get its' RABIES booster! Your Vet should tell you that. Now, asshats that don't have their animals vaccinated it's on you that Fluffy gets put down.

As for shooting foxes. Call DNR and they will send you a permit to kill nuisance animals.

Now, it is breeding season for cats. They will bite the hell out of a mate or others trying to get some.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Have the cat get its' RABIES booster! Your Vet should tell you that. Now, asshats that don't have their animals vaccinated it's on you that Fluffy gets put down.

As for shooting foxes. Call DNR and they will send you a permit to kill nuisance animals.

Now, it is breeding season for cats. They will bite the hell out of a mate or others trying to get some.

:thumbsup:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    By allowing your cat to run wild, you're allowing it to participate in that wonderful wild world called "nature".

Your cat is no doubt killing birds, mice, moles, shrews, frogs, toads, and many other wild creatures, while out roaming around. To expect that your cat itself won't be preyed upon by something larger in turn, is asking for the impossible.

YOUR cat is the invasive species here, not the wild animals around you. It's not like a fox or a bird of prey is attacking your chickens or bunnies on your property - YOU are deliberately letting a domesticated animal roam the wild areas around your house in THEIR territory.

If you want your cat to be safe, keep it indoors where "pets" belong. Otherwise, you have nobody to blame but yourself if it continues to come home wounded - or not at all. But hey, it's your money.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

This exactly. DNR will probably give you the permit number over the phone incase anyone questions you killing them before your actual permit arrives. They will likely ask you what you plan to do. Don't trap and relocate, you need to shoot the invasive critters.

Could be a hate crime; cat on cat violence. :)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    By allowing your cat to run wild, you're allowing it to participate in that wonderful wild world called "nature".

Your cat is no doubt killing birds, mice, moles, shrews, frogs, toads, and many other wild creatures, while out roaming around. To expect that your cat itself won't be preyed upon by something larger in turn, is asking for the impossible.

YOUR cat is the invasive species here, not the wild animals around you. It's not like a fox or a bird of prey is attacking your chickens or bunnies on your property - YOU are deliberately letting a domesticated animal roam the wild areas around your house in THEIR territory.

If you want your cat to be safe, keep it indoors where "pets" belong. Otherwise, you have nobody to blame but yourself if it continues to come home wounded - or not at all. But hey, it's your money.

I think the OP said his cat got out...not let out....but I agree with what you say.

Prob got in a cat fight...if anything else Id say the fox or coyote would have a meal..

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I think the OP said his cat got out...not let out....but I agree with what you say.

Prob got in a cat fight...if anything else Id say the fox or coyote would have a meal..

Yep, said cat got out. Agree not likely a fox, it wouldn't have returned. The only thing you have to tell the Vet is what happened- he/she will know what to do.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    You said "he'll be going to the vets" so I'm assuming it's a tom cat. If he's sexually mature and has not been neutered, and there are similar toms in your vicinity, it would be reasonable to expect injuries like this any time he gets out. It's amazing how much damage 2 horny tom cats will inflict on each other when a female in heat is nearby, though their fights are rarely fatal.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

True, but I assumed since the OP wanted to know the legality of shooting the (suspected) fox, he intended to "let" the cat get out on a continuing basis. If not, I apologize - but as a matter of point, trying to shoot at a fox while it's in the actual act of tangling with your cat is going to be problematic at best. And pre-emptively shooting a fox because your cat "might" get out is just not very rational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    The cats are neutered, declawed, and is a loved by my kids. The feed them and learn what it means to provide husbandry.
    Anyway, it got out and we tried to get him, but kept getting braver and braver...

So it looks like that it was just bad timing for our cat. Our neighbor was watching their friends hound/spaniel of somesort.
    It was let out so it can go, and our 11mo old cat got mauled.

Its been put to sleep today.

We had a nice memorial service for it, made a little grave and all that.

Sure was sad for the little kids and the wifey.

And yes, I understand the course of nature. I love animals, but Im no tree hugger.
    hell my highschool was at the Los Angeles school. So trust me when i say I know how the animal kingdom functions.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sorry to hear that. :(

And if my comments sounded dickish, I apologize for that too. I love animals (even cats, a little) I've just had lots of negative experiences with neighbor's free-roaming cats.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Declawed = Unarmed kitty.

Sorry to hear about your pet. We never declaw, but then we need mousers.

Here are the lazy bums now...

a9epa9ad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Thanks fellas.

Nah, I dont get offended that easily.
    So no worries.

Whats funny is that I heard a story about a development out west where shooting is not allowed at all. Apparently there was a rabbit problem and people got so fed up, they started bringing in cats to take care of things. It did.

Yeah, my kids were bummed.
    My wife was very upset, our neighbor feels guilty as hell, and Im out $1k on this 11 mo old cat not counting food and litter (duration of his short life). That $1k could of been that Wiley version of the Colt 1911 that 2A had...j/k. I'll miss that little booger, even though Im allergic to cats. We still have our big cat of 9 years. He's now outlived a dog and a cat.

Anyway, family is doing well, and I picked up a sweet Thayeri's Kingsnake yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom