• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This thing came after me in my rock front yard. Never had one here do that. Then realized it was protecting its 4 eggs. It laid the eggs almost in the middle of the yard. We have not been down for 3 weeks and the bird and eggs are almost impossible to see if it’s not moving.

What bird is this?
    790570e49b912cab28e332da14449042.jpg

4d974069d421c23c596fcc2081a253c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Killdeer. They make nests on the ground in a pile of rocks

When you approach they usually fly away, to lure you away from the nest. They may even fake a broken wing to get you away from the nest area.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I can’t help with the ID but that is a cool looking bird! Aside from the camouflage that is a poor location for a nest.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It chirped and spread its wings and I thought it was going to come after me. As I approached it , it did move away from the eggs but as we backed off it went back to them. Hopefully it will sit still when my dogs are outside on the small patch of grass.

Daughter is working on a name for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Killdeer. From DNR website:

Ground Nesters

Unlike most birds who nest in trees, these birds are ground nesters. Particularly, the Killdeer likes to nest on open ground, often gravel.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    It's a killdeer. Used to get them almost every year on my gravel driveway when we lived on the shore. I had to put lawn chairs around the nest to keep unknowing visitors from driving over them. They seem to have a lot of egg mortality, as I would find broken eggshells and the nest abandoned much of the time. I suspect black snakes got them most of the time. If they do successfully hatch the chicks are really cute and entertaining. They will run around, then stop and hunker down, assuming you can't see them.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    They LOVE to nest on flat-rocky ground. One place I worked at had a two-foot fringe of beach pebbles all around the parking lot. They laid eggs there every Spring and paid no attention to the parked cars.
    They are pretty noisy when they aren't on the nest.

https://www.birdnote.org/explore/sights-sounds/video/2015/10/killdeer-calling

When anyone got close they would make a racket and do the "broken wing" act and lead them away from the nest. It's an amazing sight to watch.
    Those birds put Amber Heard's acting skills to shame.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Caught one of the babies, from nest we had here, i let it go back to its brothers and sisters

Attachments

• 20220528_153906.jpg
      20220528_153906.jpg
      231.8 KB · Views: 94
    • 20220528_153905.jpg
      20220528_153905.jpg
      243.3 KB · Views: 96

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    They will also nest on gravel rooftops.
    I worked at Nevamar in Odenton in the early '80s as an electrician and we always had nests up on the aggregate roof. Makes you wonder what the babies find to eat up there, but with all the site lighting attracting bugs, I guess there were enough laying around in the morning to keep them going.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Weird thing yesterday before I left the house. 2 more Killdeer showed up and the 2 tending the nest seemed to be fighting them off. A bit of chase and such pursued before I left.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    I worked at Nevamar in Odenton in the early '80s as an electrician and we always had nests up on the aggregate roof. Makes you wonder what the babies find to eat up there, but with all the site lighting attracting bugs, I guess there were enough laying around in the morning to keep them going.

Oh! Heck Yeah!
    That parking lot I mentioned had very bright dusk-to-dawn lights in the lot. I left work at 11pm, but the lights were bright enough that mother and chicks were running all around the lot as they snagged bugs while I was leaving at night. Big-fat moths would fly in circles until they hit the light and dropped to the ground. Profit!

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Weird thing yesterday before I left the house. 2 more Killdeer showed up and the 2 tending the nest seemed to be fighting them off. A bit of chase and such pursued before I left.
    Those are Commie birds trying to destroy a perfectly good nesting situation. The bastards!!!
    I hope they chased them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom