• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thread resurrection here. I’m looking at purchasing a bipod, tried the search and found this thread. Looking for a length primarily for prone position shooting for hunting and practice. I’ll likely be swapping it between two rifles, a Ruger American and a Remington 700, so I’m thinking a sling stud mount might be the way to go. Most likely going with a Harris. With that in mind, any first hand info on length, 6-9” or 9-13”

Thanks for resurrecting. Pretty timely for me too.

I am using this foreend - it has MLOK connectors.

Should I buy a bipod that directly connects to M-LOK or should I attach through an adapter? Not sure if connecting through an adapter gives me more options or functionality or something else.

I am thinking something like this for direct connect.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Give considerable thought to how you'll be using a bipod. The one you want for a bench and the one you want sitting on the edge of a field won't likely be the same bipod.

Also consider that most bipods are fairly rigid, and thus fairly functional when fully retracted. Where price can differentiate is when it's time to extend one.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Doesn’t that forend have an Arca rail? You can attach to that or get the spigot Mount that pushes the bipod out further which is more ideal.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Looks the same, but not the same at all. This is not a knock on someone buying one at all, They are probably ok for 100yds with generic low precision applications.

A few years ago I purchased an Atlas bipod on Amazon but advertised as a genuine Atlas. Price was about $230 IIRC. They sent me a knockoff, which was promptly returned. Before I did return it, I compared the knockoff to my other genuine Atlas.

The differences were as follows:
    1) All atlas hardware was steel vs knockoff was likely aluminum. This is critical especially for the rail clamp, which will easily strip or stretch under force when tightened.

2) The spur on the knockoff wad stamped steel where the Atlas was actually machined. This is critical because the tolerances are much looser and the legs will rock back and forth in each indexed position.

3) The cut of the height adjustment notches was different on the knockoff. What I mean is that on the genuine Atlas you can gently pull back the release collar maybe just 3/16” and the leg will drop out. On the knockoff the legs were binding and you actually have to Pull them out. That makes a difference when you are on the ground probe and need to adjust the height. You want to be able to do it with one hand while still keeping your eye looking through the scope.

How much does all of this stuff matter? To me it mattered a lot. I lean in hard agains the bipod when shooting because I want to limit the amount of correction I need to make for followup shots. When on rough terrain, I often have to cant the legs out at a 45° angle to get the height exactly where I want it to be with my head behind the glass in the most comfortable position at the same time. So I put a lot of stress on the legs, particularly at the joint where the index spur meets the round stopper on the leg. The real deal Atlas may wiggle 1/32”. It doesn’t seem like a lot, but at 600yds that much wiggle probably equates to 3-6” of reticle movement on target. So imagine how unstable the knockoff would be. Maybe 2-3x the Atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very interesting.
    I don't own a "genuine" Atlas bipod (although one of the cheapies is stamped "Atlas Patent") to make a similar comparison. And I can say with certainty I never will. Not at over $200.

But you raise some interesting points.
    1) I do not know the material of my knock-off, but it may be aluminum. I have not had any "stripping" problems with any aluminum part of any bipod or arca clamp. Simply not an issue. For me, and I expect for the vast majority of shooters.

2) The spur is definitely stamped steel and does look cheesy. I'd like to see a close-up of current production of the genuine article. But a quick examination shows that the spur itself does not seem to be causing the leg looseness at the pivot. (If leg stiffness is a goal, it's just not a very good design, never mind the materials.) By simply loosening and then re-tightening the 4mm allen head pivot bolt, free play/looseness was dramatically reduced. I, like you, don't like ANY wiggle in my bipods and have locked the legs and pivot joints on all my bipods. Locked solid. I can no longer fold the legs, but with the arca mount it takes only a moment to remove the bipod if required from one stage to another.

3) Adjusting the leg height during a timed stage is an issue, and if the genuine article is really faster by some significant margin, that's clearly a second or two advantage. (Too many times my last shot has been tenths of a second after the beep.) But I wonder if, with a bit of lube and repeated use, the cheapie wouldn't loosen up and be the same. And the legs are not difficult to extend or retract anyways, and can be done with one hand.

As I recall, the OP didn't mention competing in any PRS or LD matches, and the differences, if any of significance in the function of the genuine vs. cheapie, would likely not be noticed in his application.

Those that know me know I tend not spend top dollar on shooting accessories, and on what I often consider to be RIDICULOUS prices, especially if I can make up or modify something that works just as well for a fraction of the cost (for example 300mm arca rails for $13 including shipping). They also know I will spend $$$ where I think value is for me. (Recently tasked on this site for spending $500 on a Krieger pre-chambered barrel for an otherwise "budget" build.)

So - to each his own. You obviously feel your genuine Atlas bipod is worth 10+ times the cost of a knock off. That's a value judgment only you can make and my preference is irrelevant. To all the guys spending tons of cash on accessories - all power to you. (And it is fun to get new shiny stuff.) But many shooters might like to be aware of lower cost alternatives, often MUCH lower cost. And lots of guys like actually working on their stuff, rather than just buying and bolting.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I hope that you guys buying and/or suggesting these knock-offs aren't the same ones bitching about China dominating the manufacturing world and/or selling cheap crap to stupid Americans. Because that would be short-sighted hypocrisy, right?
    Sometimes, I just can't handle the irony.

As far as bipod go, I have a handful of the Harris swivel notch-legs in 6-9 and 9-13. I also, like a moth to flame, bought an Atlas. I just had to know. Someone once said they are a beautifully executed bad design. And they are, for the most part. There are certain features that are quite useful, but overall the Harris performs better.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have Harris bipods and some Caldwells for .22s and light work. I had an Atlas I got in a sale with a rifle, I sold it. It's pretty heavy for what it is and doesn't quite work as well for me. I prefer the 6-9" model Harris type. For bench the 6" is ideal and prone the 9" fits me. I like the ones with the tension screw and no notches so you can lock it in at different heights if the surface isn't level.

This is my favorite model.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Very interesting.
    I don't own a "genuine" Atlas bipod (although one of the cheapies is stamped "Atlas Patent") to make a similar comparison. And I can say with certainty I never will. Not at over $200.

But you raise some interesting points.
    1) I do not know the material of my knock-off, but it may be aluminum. I have not had any "stripping" problems with any aluminum part of any bipod or arca clamp. Simply not an issue. For me, and I expect for the vast majority of shooters.

2) The spur is definitely stamped steel and does look cheesy. I'd like to see a close-up of current production of the genuine article. But a quick examination shows that the spur itself does not seem to be causing the leg looseness at the pivot. (If leg stiffness is a goal, it's just not a very good design, never mind the materials.) By simply loosening and then re-tightening the 4mm allen head pivot bolt, free play/looseness was dramatically reduced. I, like you, don't like ANY wiggle in my bipods and have locked the legs and pivot joints on all my bipods. Locked solid. I can no longer fold the legs, but with the arca mount it takes only a moment to remove the bipod if required from one stage to another.

3) Adjusting the leg height during a timed stage is an issue, and if the genuine article is really faster by some significant margin, that's clearly a second or two advantage. (Too many times my last shot has been tenths of a second after the beep.) But I wonder if, with a bit of lube and repeated use, the cheapie wouldn't loosen up and be the same. And the legs are not difficult to extend or retract anyways, and can be done with one hand.

As I recall, the OP didn't mention competing in any PRS or LD matches, and the differences, if any of significance in the function of the genuine vs. cheapie, would likely not be noticed in his application.

Those that know me know I tend not spend top dollar on shooting accessories, and on what I often consider to be RIDICULOUS prices, especially if I can make up or modify something that works just as well for a fraction of the cost (for example 300mm arca rails for $13 including shipping). They also know I will spend $$$ where I think value is for me. (Recently tasked on this site for spending $500 on a Krieger pre-chambered barrel for an otherwise "budget" build.)

So - to each his own. You obviously feel your genuine Atlas bipod is worth 10+ times the cost of a knock off. That's a value judgment only you can make and my preference is irrelevant. To all the guys spending tons of cash on accessories - all power to you. (And it is fun to get new shiny stuff.) But many shooters might like to be aware of lower cost alternatives, often MUCH lower cost. And lots of guys like actually working on their stuff, rather than just buying and bolting.

I’m more than willing to buy and use cheaper imported copies of certain devices. I think it’s important to just understand the potential limitations. I recently purchased a Perst 4 knockoff laser from ebay because I couldn’t justify spending $1800 on the genuine model. My decision was also based on the fact that the specific rifle I use it on only shoots suppressed blackout, so recoil is pretty low. While it looks like its well made, the adjustment turrets are not very precise and I doubt the would hold zero for long on an AR10 or in battle conditions.

So, no knock from me about your decision. We are having a meaningful discussion that benefits others here.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I don't fault anyone for buying knock off stuff as long as they understand its a knock off and they should treat it as such and when or if problems arise they need to be educated enough not to besmirch the name the Chinesium company stamped on the side to sucker uneducated people in to buy it.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I don't fault anyone for buying knock off stuff as long as they understand its a knock off and they should treat it as such and when or if problems arise they need to be educated enough not to besmirch the name the Chinesium company stamped on the side to sucker uneducated people in to buy it.
    Preach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom