• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am new to the forum so and I didnt see any other place for this so I figured I would ask it here. I am going to be buying my first handgun and for safety reasons I want a small safe to keep it in. I wanted to get some opinions on the biometric fingerprint safes. Do they generally work as advertised or are they a pain and is it really not worth it? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I'm buying one based on one a buddy of mine owns, it works just as advertised, him and his wife can access the safe no problem and anyone else that i have seen try, including myself cannot, he got his pretty reasonably through Natchez shooters supply online

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I'm buying one based on one a buddy of mine owns, it works just as advertised, him and his wife can access the safe no problem and anyone else that i have seen try, including myself cannot, he got his pretty reasonably through Natchez shooters supply online

Do you recall the brand or model?

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I wouldn't go with a biometric. I do not own one but I cannot imagine that it would work in all scenarios. Wet, cold, dirty, bloody, sweaty, etc. I use the push button style. Just my 2 cents.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Someone is selling two of them in the classifieds on here. You could always ask him his impression.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Seen enough scary YouTube videos on these to avoid them.

Go with a Fort Knox safe with the push buttons.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I have been looking at these two models

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-PDS-...2895&sr=8-1&keywords=stack+biometric+gun+safe

This is a cheap one with good reviews and would work until I could do some more research in to the biometrics.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-Quic...543&sr=8-15&keywords=stack+biometric+gun+safe

This one is more but is the biometric is what I want and its bigger so it would last longer as I purchase more guns. However the reviews are pretty mixed.
    Cheap + Biometric = Disaster.

Biometrics and safes don't mix well. The 'mixed reviews' should be a giveaway.

At some point it will fail. Period. Trust me, I do this for a living.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I had a Gunvault safe with a keypad, ran on 8 batteries, and ran through them once a month. It was always out of power when I went for my gun...not good.

I got rid of it and bought a V-Line pistol safe that doesnt run on batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Draw-S...F8&qid=1353166077&sr=8-1&keywords=v+line+safe

These are real nice, no batteries, low profile could fit in a drawer, room enough for a 1911 and 2 mags, and a Simplex 5 button mechanical lock.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    +1

Get a mechanical lock like the ilco.
    Mechanical is definitely the way to go as far as reliability, but stay away from Ilco. Sargent & Greenleaf (S&G) or LaGard, (which is now made by Ilco, but is a much more reliable lock) are your best options.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Cheap + Biometric = Disaster.

Biometrics and safes don't mix well. The 'mixed reviews' should be a giveaway.

At some point it will fail. Period. Trust me, I do this for a living.

Thanks for the input and I guess I was just being optimistic. I think I will just go with something simple at least for now. I am getting my first gun and I just want something to have it locked up in. I don't have any kids and I have no worries of theft. Its just really for piece of mind when kids come over. I think I am going to get the $40 combo safe that got good reviews. I can always upgrade in the future.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If you just want to keep the kids out, and you have a rifle and ammo you want to lock up as well, then the Stack-on gun cabinets are hard to beat for around $100 at Wal-Mart.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-GCB-8RTA-Security-Assemble-Storage/dp/B004EYTD4W/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I own one, and it's very decent for the price. No, it won't keep out a robber who grabs tools and prys it apart, but it might just be enough to stop someone from bothering in a smash and grab, and it will certainly keep the kids out.

And here is the Fort Knox safe I was talking about. It's great:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Ft. Knox or V-line if you want to go a bit cheaper.

I've had several different ones over the years. Gunvault was neat, but not reliable. Simple is best under stress so I would stick with the mechanical ones as mentioned.

brackishfly

Nov 17, 2012
    So. Maryland
    I use a Barska Bio (bolted to the floor). I don't recommend this safe, not if trying to retrieve your primary home defense gun quickly or quietly. Even though the Biometric memory stores upwards of 8 or 10 finger prints (I don't remember) it may take two, three, or more tries to open. Also this unit makes an irritating sound (sort of a high pitched and long beep) it'll let anyone know in the hallway that somethings up. I'm in the market myself for a mechanical (no battery) safe for the bedroom that's quick to open, AND OPEN QUIETLY! Well at least silence that darn tone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom