• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In an early April 1 joke a company has released what they claim is a fully tested biometric handgun. Now we'll have all the antis claiming "This is the way!" and start mandating such technology for new purchases (if they can't ban guns altogether). I have no problem with such technology...if it works...but the idea of mandating it is a non-starter to me. It wouldn't be surprising if a few antis would want to mandate it be retrofitted to existing handguns or face banning and confiscation.

Probably another boondoggle or technological dead end but we'll see if the market sinks it or it succeeds. As with much new technologies...I'll be happy to let someone else be the test monkeys.

Biometric smart gun

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'll consider it when it's mandatory for police and military.

Not reliable enough for their use? Ok, not reliable enough for me either.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Kai Kloepfer, the company’s CEO and founder, says its $1,499 gun is reliable and thoroughly tested. More than twice as expensive as a typical handgun, it isn’t just a standard firearm with biomechanical sensors affixed. When an authorized user pulls the trigger, it sends an electric signal to fire the bullet, rather than rely on a physical trigger mechanism — the first gun ever designed to fire that way, the company says.

“It’s just a very, very different approach and one that has involved rigorous testing and validation of every single piece of the system,” said Kloepfer, who compares the complexity of his product to a “small satellite.”

All of the other compelling reasons to stay away aside, these two (electrical ignition and significant complexity) would almost certainly make it a "no-go" for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I can buy three Glocks for that price and they'll all work under damn near any circumstances.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In an early April 1 joke a company has released what they claim is a fully tested biometric handgun. Now we'll have all the antis claiming "This is the way!" and start mandating such technology for new purchases (if they can't ban guns altogether). I have no problem with such technology...if it works...but the idea of mandating it is a non-starter to me. It wouldn't be surprising if a few antis would want to mandate it be retrofitted to existing handguns or face banning and confiscation.

Probably another boondoggle or technological dead end but we'll see if the market sinks it or it succeeds. As with much new technologies...I'll be happy to let someone else be the test monkeys.

Biometric smart gun

****Yea.... We probably need more smart gun owners than smart guns quite honestly. No effin' way I would trust my life to a biometric gun! I've had biometric safes that don't work, biometric phones that often don't work and I have to type in a code manually, and its just more crap that is a potential failure point as a bunch of ovulating Victoria Secrets models are bangin' on your door trying to get in and make you knock them up after hours of very sweaty and very passionate one, two and possibly three seater action that is difficult to fight back from once their clothes are off and they have you pinned on the bed while your biometric gun is on the shelf unable to be operated because your hands are full of remarkably supple **** and ass... :shocked4:

Am I really the only guy who thinks of these types of contingencies?

The poor bastard below is now stuck because his effin' smart gun failed to unlock!!! He is gonna be drained completely dry now because he failed to just stick with a big Glock to handle those women!

Crazy!

Screenshot 2024-03-22 161945.png

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    ****Yea.... We probably need more smart gun owners than smart guns quite honestly. No effin' way I would trust my life to a biometric gun! I've had biometric safes that don't work, biometric phones that often don't work and I have to type in a code manually, and its just more crap that is a potential failure point as a bunch of ovulating Victoria Secrets models are bangin' on your door trying to get in and make you knock them up after hours of very sweaty and very passionate one, two and possibly three seater action that is difficult to fight back from once their clothes are off and they have you pinned on the bed while your biometric gun is on the shelf unable to be operated because your hands are full of remarkably supple **** and ass... :shocked4:

Lol!

The poor bastard below is now stuck because his effin' smart gun failed to unlock!!! He is gonna be drained completely dry now because he failed to just stick with a big Glock to handle those women!

Maybe his friends will come to his rescue, so he doesn't have to face the peril.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    The founders would have never dreamed of a biometric lock on a firearm. Those are not protected and should be reserved only for military and police.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Facial recognition? Hmm... do you need to point it at your face to unlock the gun?

No thanks.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

Biometric smart gun
    Wouldn't bet my life on one ever.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Who thinks this is a good business idea? Who would invest in this?

I could see certain well financed antis (think Bloomberg or Soros) backing a venture like this. They think strategically where such an investment can trigger laws in states like NJ and maybe CA that make such guns mandatory once they hit the market. The dollar investment can pay off politically for them.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Who thinks this is a good business idea? Who would invest in this?

****People that don't know much about firearms and that have good intentions thinking that having this technology will somehow reduce crime, and keep little kids from playing with a firearm and injuring themselves, etc.. People that don't know the difference between a magazine and a clip, or select fire vs semi-auto, or that a suppressor is not really a "silencer" that makes a firearm super quiet, or what a "ghost gun" is other than it sounds bad so it should be banned, or think that it is easier to buy a handgun than it is to check out a library book, etc.. etc.. because CNN said so.

I have attorney friends that are partners at very large and prestigious firms downtown with Ivy League credentials who charge $700 an hour and they are booked *solid* that think an AR-15 is a fully automatic machine gun that fires armor piercing bullets at 750 rounds per minute cyclic rate and can literally split multiple people in half in addition to having an optional grenade launching setup (M203 type) that can be purchased cash and carry from an "Army Surplus Store" along with grenades to make it deadlier than trans-fats even. I mean seriously? More dangerous than Trans-Fats???
    :crazy:

These are the people that will invest in this technology and strongly encourage their local politicians, and national politicians to push for it as well for the "Common Good" because the 2nd amendment was apparently only for militia members and only encompassed old flintlock rifles vs the gatling gun Jesse Ventura used in the movie Predator... and which is also available at "Surplus Stores".

Honestly, they just don't know. The media doesn't help things, nor really educate people on any of this. Everything is either a Glock, an AR-15, an AK-47, or some combination Glock 15/47 AK with a grenade launcher attachment, from the "Surplus Store".

That's basically what we are dealing with. There are a LOT of guns in the USA - probably more than people, and billions of rounds probably in private hands as well. Overwhelming majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens - but to non gun owners, or non gun people who are scared of guns, they think that banning guns will magically make crime go away just like banning drugs cured addiction and drug crime... They aren't dumb people, just misinformed most often IME.

Not rational, not logical - basically people with good intentions but a fundamental lack of knowledge regarding the subject who think biometric pistols and other such firearms are the answer to all of the inner city crime as well as accidents involving firearms and even perhaps suicides as *seriously* some people think the gun can be programmed to not self terminate the operator.... :crazy:

Basically, these are the people that will gladly invest money in a biometric venture, or purchase such a firearm and never even really firing it , but just to have in case Trump wins again and he sends his people out to kill all the lawyers because they were mean to him and tried to take away his buildings, as well as put him in jail... :sad20:

Lots of conspiracy theorists on both sides, and stunning ignorance regarding firearms by many many regular people that just see the world spiraling out of control, increasing crime, and seemingly more shootings and gun related deaths that a biometric pistol could help solve, but only if gun owners are forced to use them after having their own privately held firearms confiscated first by....wait for it..... other people with more and bigger guns to insure compliance for the "common good"

That's pretty much it. Maybe they go belly up like last time, or maybe they catch on with non gun people that would normally never buy a regular firearm but think having one might be a good idea in case Civil War breaks out, or whatever their reasoning may be.

Legislation can be designed to make firearms like this the de-facto only options for civilian use - unlikely but technically possible. People with good and not good decisions sometimes make remarkably poor decisions because they think they are doing it for the right reasons.

Could be worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom