• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From VCDL:

First some good news:

SB 608, Senator Reeves, requires the return of stolen firearms to their lawful owner by police, was signed into law and is effective July 1.

——

A host of pro-gun bills are headed to the Governor’s desk:

HB 1096, Delegate Webert, state-agency firearms preemption bill

HB 1234, Delegate Lingmafelter, allows school security officers to carry a gun

HB 206, Delegate Webert, removes requirement for a 2nd form of ID when purchasing a gun

HB 382, Delegate Fowler, allows state-agency employees to store firearms in their private vehicles while at work

HB 560, Delegate Lingamfelter, improvement to brandishing law

HB 766, Delegate Gilbert, makes a protection order a temporary CHP

HB 810, Delegate Lingamfelter, removes requirement to show citizenship when purchasing an “assault firearm”

SB 626, Senator Vogel, makes a protection order a temporary CHP

We expect vetoes on some of the above bills, but not on all of them.

——

SB 175, Senator Stuart, prohibits Virginia from sharing CHP holder information with states that don’t honor VA CHPs, had a few technical issues that should now be fixed and should be heard soon in committee or subcommittee. VCDL is watching this bill very closely.

——

SB 677, Senator Chase, makes the $10 Circuit Court Clerk fee for a CHP optional, was killed in the House General Government & Capital Outlay subcommittee. Unbelievable. More details will follow in a future legislative update.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SB 175 killed in committee.

no explanation yet. weird thing is last year it PASSED committee and was vetoed by the Governor.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From VCDL:

Today the last of the pro-gun bills that is not on it’s way to the Governor’s desk died in committee.

SB175, Senator Stuart, prohibited Virginia from sharing CHP info with states that don’t honor Virginia CHPs.

This bill blasted out of the Senate with a veto-proof (assuming it would hold) majority (28 to 12). I expected it to blast out of the House similarly.

Early this week I checked on the status of the bill, only to find it was still awaiting a hearing in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee!

I immediately contacted the committee chairman, Delegate Scott Lingamfelter, to see what was going on.

It turned out there were some problems with the bill that had been discovered. I was skeptical, but when I heard the objections, I had to agree that the bill went beyond what it was intended to do because of some bad wording. I told Delegate Lingamfelter we would get him a substitute bill that fixed the problems. I also contacted Senator Stuart, who was unaware of the flaws in his bill.

I contacted EM, and lawyer, John Pierce to draft a substitute bill that fixed the problems. In less than a day, John produced an excellent bill that I immediately got to Lingamfelter, Stuart, and other members of the committee.

However, this morning Senator Stuart asked that the bill be struck for this year because the rewording could cause possible political complications in the Senate.

Lingamfelter and Stuart both liked John’s wording and both vowed that the bill would be reintroduced with John’s wording next year.

Hopefully we will close the loophole on CHP information next year.

There are still another SEVEN pro-gun bills on the Governor’s desk. The fate of a few of them will be known next week. The rest possibly not until mid-April.

Oh, there are NO anti-gun bills alive and haven’t been since crossover a couple of weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom