• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Makes sense to me. I'm pretty sure they were strategic purchases.
    I just did the math in my head, and that's like $60k+ of guns. Very nice. Also very curious what the OP did before going to MBA school. :)

I am surprised at the omission of the M1A, Calico, Galil, and Daewoo rifles.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Didn't focus on NFA stuff ... That's for later, had to think about which purchases to make within the time limit.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Are you going to post any pics of your new arsenal?

Never really thought about it...I suppose I could just never did a photo log as I went thru. I inspected each for quality and condition and then I was onto the next one so fast...figured I'd have 2014 onwards to take my time with each item properly cataloguing it, learning more about it, shooting it and so forth.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I just did the math in my head, and that's like $60k+ of guns. Very nice. Also very curious what the OP did before going to MBA school. :)

I am surprised at the omission of the M1A, Calico, Galil, and Daewoo rifles.

I never saw a paramount difference between the M1A and the Garand. I didn't like tactical polymer stock version of the M1A/M14, I think if I had known a little more I probably would have added a Fulton Armory M14 receiver but I always leaned toward the Garand in 30-06 for it's original battle rifle status. I found the Garand to be more historically viable due to service in battle and examples available pre-war era.

Calico I didn't research much, but from what I did I don't know that it appealed to me as strongly. As for Galil I thought about it, but decided to go with the Finnish version basically, the Valmet. I found one in exceptional condition never fired, numbers matching and was able to negotiate a deal on it so I went that route. As for Daewoo rifles, never really got into that, I remember seeing the USAS 12 on the ban list, but couldn't find one available. It fell into the Destructive Device category along with a couple of other 12g and those fell under NFA, so I made a few calls to learn more bout them. I moved a different direction with the 12g after those calls...had to estimate the benefit vs. burden of the deal and make a choice, at that point I was running out of time.

When you only have a couple of months to work with you have to plan and move fast - I was doing 3 - 5 deals a week for a while there....I remember one week in early August I did 8 or 9 deals, it was a good week! Things just clicked, the numbers worked out and the deals just kept coming.

I think sometimes you find the right deal in the right condition with the right docs/records/accessories and so forth, sometimes the deal just isn't there or the right item just isn't available at the moment you need to buy it (this has happened more than once and it sucks! lol)....maybe you pay a little more on one, and a little less on another. The trick is to always run the averages so that you come out better on value. If you buy enough this happens, and if you bid aggressively it can happen too.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    ^^^ Lol yup seems that way for sure.

Still have the LTW it's been a full race car for years, campaigned it in the mid 2000's in a couple of racing series. Still love that thing on track!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Single engineer from a great school, mid-30's, no kids, gonna guess no house? OK, I can see where you have money to burn. It's really impressive how much money they can toss you if you're good at your job, and how much you can save if you're smart. :)

IMHO, the Galil is a rather different rifle than the Valmet, especially the Galil ARM, but I hear ya.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Single engineer from a great school, mid-30's, no kids, gonna guess no house? OK, I can see where you have money to burn. It's really impressive how much money they can toss you if you're good at your job, and how much you can save if you're smart. :)

IMHO, the Galil is a rather different rifle than the Valmet, especially the Galil ARM, but I hear ya.

Close, I'm a homeowner, and have a rental property. I've always been into cars, just this year I got into firearms after having gone to the range. Maybe next time I need to find a cheaper hobby lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom