• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I haven't seen a lottery thread for this year, so I thought I would start one. The lotteries should start to be drawn soon.

Who has entered lotteries for big game?

I entered VA and PA elk lotteries.

Helps with conservation. Especially in Va with their fledgling elk program.

Good luck!

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    CO and WY, plus a few others, but with winter mortality estimates of 50-80% in some parts, expecting # of tags to get SLASHED for next few years

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    If you use onX for hunting, they send out updated through the year. These include the upcoming dates of application deadlines by state.

that said our deadline for big game hunts is may 10…

gotta sit down tonight and get it done.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My brother and I put in for WY cow elk tags. Drawing is May 18
    WY lost a ton of pronghorn and mulies to the deep snow, they have greatly reduced or closed some up coming seasons

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Applied for PA elk for a preference point this year. Going to apply for that one annually going forward. Didn’t figure I’d be drawn this year anyway. Aside from that, I wouldn’t want to be drawn as I’m going to Idaho this October for Elk.
    Applied for another preference point for MD bear for this year. Should have about 5-6 for that now.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Don’t mind the noob question but where do I apply for these tags out of state? The local DNR website for the state I wanna hunt in? Forgive me as I only hunt on my friends private property and don’t have too much knowledge outside this. Thanks in advance - I wanna hunt Elk/Deer in other states not sure how this process works

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Don’t mind the noob question but where do I apply for these tags out of state? The local DNR website for the state I wanna hunt in? Forgive me as I only hunt on my friends private property and don’t have too much knowledge outside this. Thanks in advance - I wanna hunt Elk/Deer in other states not sure how this process works
    Deer in most eastern states: you go to that state's DNR website and buy a license.

If you want to enter a Draw (basically a fancy word for lottery), go to that state's website and enter. Now at this point, you are only entering for a chance at hunting the big game. If you get drawn, then you may purchase the more expensive out of state hunting license (Elk/Antelope/Moose) in addition to a regular out of state hunting license.

Part of the game is not to trip yourself up, if you enter more than one draw. If you get drawn for both once-in-a-lifetime hunt at the same time, you will have a hard choice to make.

With the above said, big game hunting is not cheap. I would suggest start a hunting fund to stash some money aside to pay for all of the expenses that will avalanche your way: License fees, travel cost, lodging, guide service, butcher cost, harvest transportation. A cheap hunt is $5,000, some people pay $10,000-$20,000, or more. Start planning now buy purchasing a good firearm with quality CXP3 (big game) ammunition, and practice with it.

PS: If a state has an education requirement, make sure you have it in hand (and not lost to days gone by), such as a regular hunter education card. Some states want to see a Bow Hunter safety card, and even a muzzleloader safety card. People who took hunter education 30 or 40 years ago have a hard time finding their card and have to go through Hunter education again because it was not recorded in the computer systems way back when.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    People who took hunter education 30 or 40 years ago have a hard time finding their card and have to go through Hunter education again because it was not recorded in the computer systems way back when.
    A few years back, I needed proof of a hunter safety class. I did the class around the 1979/80 time frame, and obviously no longer had the card.
    I called the MD DNR, and to my surprise, they had a record of it. They mailed out a replacement card to me. That card is laminated and sits in my gun safe now. Glad I still have this one, as I had to put the information on my Idaho License application.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    @ ChrisD, you got Lucky!!!

I did my original Hunter education back in the 80s in Pennsylvania. I had to retake hunter education because PA had no computerized records before 1989.

It's not a bad thing, because when we were taught, our age group was taught wrong, strapping yourself to a tree so that you do not fall isn't good enough.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Deer in most eastern states: you go to that state's DNR website and buy a license.

If you want to enter a Draw (basically a fancy word for lottery), go to that state's website and enter. Now at this point, you are only entering for a chance at hunting the big game. If you get drawn, then you may purchase the more expensive out of state hunting license (Elk/Antelope/Moose) in addition to a regular out of state hunting license.

Part of the game is not to trip yourself up, if you enter more than one draw. If you get drawn for both once-in-a-lifetime hunt at the same time, you will have a hard choice to make.

With the above said, big game hunting is not cheap. I would suggest start a hunting fund to stash some money aside to pay for all of the expenses that will avalanche your way: License fees, travel cost, lodging, guide service, butcher cost, harvest transportation. A cheap hunt is $5,000, some people pay $10,000-$20,000, or more. Start planning now buy purchasing a good firearm with quality CXP3 (big game) ammunition, and practice with it.

PS: If a state has an education requirement, make sure you have it in hand (and not lost to days gone by), such as a regular hunter education card. Some states want to see a Bow Hunter safety card, and even a muzzleloader safety card. People who took hunter education 30 or 40 years ago have a hard time finding their card and have to go through Hunter education again because it was not recorded in the computer systems way back when.
    Every year My brother flys to MD from his home out west to bow hunt the rut for 2 weeks.
    He typ takes 3-6 deer.
    SW airlines ~$200 round trip,, $130 non res lic,,
    We cut wrap and freeze in the evenings,, he loads up 2-3 totes (50# each) of frozen meat just before dropping him at the airport.

I am in for a WY cow elk tag this year - $310
    SW round trip ~$200.00
    Staying with my Daughter/SIL who live 45 min from where I am hunting. (you could easily stay in a camp ground)
    Hunting public land in the Medicine Bow range.
    If I am successful, I will fly home with 100# of meat and leave the rest at my Daughters so I have steaks every time I visit.

It is only as expensive as you make it

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    finally did my apps today. elk and deer. (as noted below, not allowed for antelope this year as i had a tag in '20... and missed it with a blown out knee/surgery. and missed the return date)

+1 for delaware. computerized the system at some point, and they sent it to me. also, when i took the test, i used my nickname vs legal name. they allowed me to correct that.

them having the record and doing the change negated the need for followups over the years. that said, i still have the tattered original from '76 and my original ssn card too...

A few years back, I needed proof of a hunter safety class. I did the class around the 1979/80 time frame, and obviously no longer had the card.
    I called the MD DNR, and to my surprise, they had a record of it. They mailed out a replacement card to me. That card is laminated and sits in my gun safe now. Glad I still have this one, as I had to put the information on my Idaho License application.

one other reason for drawings/lottery is that SOME states have limited hunting opportunities even for residents. no over the counter tags for big game. AT ALL. you have to get in a drawing just to hunt them. limits as noted above exist too. if you draw, you must wait X years to enter again. where i am, 5 years for antelope. i think 5 or 10 for elk before you can apply again. and that's residents.

if you wanna hunt jacks or yotes, well, have at it to your hearts content.

the east coast will surely spoil ya as far as ALMOST unlimited hunting. georgia was ... iirc 10 does 2 bucks/year, delaware, we had a farmer with stacks crop damage tags. so, almost unlimited doe hunting if you wanted it.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Family and friends discounts are nice, if they are available.

Still possible to do a RELATIVELY inexpensive DIY hunt, although with the price of tags ( and everything else!) these days....

No local contacts for any of these.

Have hunted moose, antelope, deer, gators, etc out of state, successfully and unguided, and don't think I've topped $1000 on any trip. BUT, I'm CHEAP by nature and will endure hardship to save a quarter.

Just applied for Maine moose tag last night and tag is WAY more expensive these days than when I last drew one.

So $2000 may me the new normal low end.

But definitely doable IF you're willing to do the legwork

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Brother and I did NOT get drawn for WY Elk,,,,
    guess we will be slumming in MD chasing whitetail this year.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Not very welcoming....
    About 6 billion too many people on this globe.
    They already ration/10 year wait list/lottery to access premium wilderness areas.
    Think it is bad now with getting a non-res elk tag every few years?
    In 10 years you will be allowed 1 hunt per lifetime.
    In 25 years hunting will be for the connected elites

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    well... the dog just caught the car he was chasing.

and i just caught an elk tag. so, time to get things started planning, and saving vacation for the season.

last year during mule deer season, 2 weeks before elk, i had monster at between 50-150y and he didn't know i was there. he did have a main beam broken off between the upper and lower tines. and a young bull, a thin little 3x... 25-30y.

the online results page didn't who which of 4 areas i drew, but they all meet up around one location. so... a little over 5 months from today, i'll be heading out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom