• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Turboprop engines use jet fuel also.
    You are correct. This is what I get for being a dunce!

I'm not in aviation at all but I have been told that the fighters need the highest grades of jet fuel whereas the turboprops can run on any jet fuel (as opposed to aviation gasoline like the small single engine prop planes I've mostly been up in). It was explained to me (the non aviation guy) as being similar to a Porsche needing high test whereas a civic or corolla runs on any grade. And that most larger civvy airports that handle freight traffic had at least some.grade of jet fuel.

If that's wrong, please update my knowledge.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    You are correct. This is what I get for being a dunce!

I'm not in aviation at all but I have been told that the fighters need the highest grades of jet fuel whereas the turboprops can run on any jet fuel (as opposed to aviation gasoline like the small single engine prop planes I've mostly been up in). It was explained to me (the non aviation guy) as being similar to a Porsche needing high test whereas a civic or corolla runs on any grade. And that most larger civvy airports that handle freight traffic had at least some.grade of jet fuel.

If that's wrong, please update my knowledge.

Jet fuel is jet fuel for the most part. Between the different types it is not so much an octane rating like gasoline but more so matching the right grade of fuel for the operating environment/conditions.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Jet fuel is jet fuel for the most part. Between the different types it is not so much an octane rating like gasoline but more so matching the right grade of fuel for the operating environment/conditions.
    Ok, that makes sense.

Thank you for that. I'm going to edit my post to avoid confusing people with my stupid.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The only time we will need F16s to take back the government, is when our votes no longer work!
    So where do I go to pick up my F16? (Though I'd really prefer a Warthog).

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ground support, air combat control, and secured airfields to operate from would likely be the larger challenge. If you have a Hadji twin towers plan, then you can ignore all of that.

I think I'd rather have a couple of c130s but I'm not even rated to fly a single engine legally so it's a wish or I'd need to politely ask a knowledgeable pilot to fly them. The ability to move men and material and land/take off from less than perfect runways seems more valuable to me in the mid and long term.

Edited to remove my dunce fuel related comments since 135sohc was kind enough to smarten me up!
    A couple of C130 Spectre/Spooky gunships could be wicked until they were taken out by something like an F22 or a missile from so far away they'd never know where it came from.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They didn't need fighter jets in Unintended Consequences By John Ross. A book everyone should read.

"Unintended Consequences is a Libertarian propaganda novel serving as a treatise on the history of firearms rights in the United States of America, which has been compared by many public figures to works written by Ayn Rand. Originally published in 1996, the copywrite was preemptively terminated by the author, Mr. John Ross in 2009, as indicated on the more recent softcover editions of the book, which were published beginning in 2010. The text is therefore now in the public domain, though the movie rights to the work are retained by the author."

Free print download:

Audio book:

Last edited:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    And, back to the OP, nobody at any level of Government or the Military really knows what individual service members will do if ordered to take offensive action against their own communities. There is a reason for the federal prohibition on placing armed US troops on the streets.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Every revolt is different. Consider how things transpired for Marcos in the Philippines, and following the fall of the Berlin Wall, how things happened differently in Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Romania, and even under Yeltsin's Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom