• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I have a slight problem: My fiancé’s condo in North Bethesda has no carpet, even in the bedroom (because we have a dog, and she often pees on carpets and rugs). This means that the engineered hardwood floor gets cold in the winter. I’m keeping a fingerprint floor safe where I store two my pistols for defense in the night, and I’m discovering that it gets cold and makes the guns cold.

Is there a good way to insulate the floor just underneath the safe so that I can keep it from getting cold? I tried putting some pieces of carpet beneath it, and it’s not working. What sort of material should I use?

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    How cold does the floor get, that carpet isn’t enough to prevent freezing?

If you are on ground floor slab, minimum floor/ground temp should only be about 55 degrees, which isn’t going to cause any harm.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can warm the gun up pretty quickly by popping off a few rounds.

I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. Is the safe sitting on the floor? Or is it set down beneath the floor, in a cut-out?

How cold is cold? As noted, it really shouldn't matter if they're a bit cool. How do you even know? I assume you're not getting them out during the night and fondling them.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would get a chunk of styrofoam insulation and cut it to fit.

If the cold is causing condensation issues I would also put some desiccant in the safe.
    If the cold is causing the safe to not work correctly then get a Knox pistol safe, no electronics/batteries to fail there.

If I am missing the point all around (likely), then I don't know.............

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I’d consider thick rubber feet which could accommodate through bolting to the floor, then even if there is moisture - there is still air circulation to help dry it and keep the temp more stabilized.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How cold is your condo ? I mean this is indoors in the living area , not in storage room or shed , right ?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Put a hygrometer in the safe and tell us exactly how cold it gets and the humidity. Again a goldenrod should take care of any issues.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get it , a tile floor in the morning can be chilly on your bare feet in the morning .

But since guns don't start having potential issues until down around 0 deg F , I'm not seeing that being an issue indoors .

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I have a slight problem: My fiancé’s condo in North Bethesda has no carpet, even in the bedroom (because we have a dog, and she often pees on carpets and rugs). This means that the engineered hardwood floor gets cold in the winter. I’m keeping a fingerprint floor safe where I store two my pistols for defense in the night, and I’m discovering that it gets cold and makes the guns cold.

Is there a good way to insulate the floor just underneath the safe so that I can keep it from getting cold? I tried putting some pieces of carpet beneath it, and it’s not working. What sort of material should I use?
    You're probably going to need to post up a picture of your "floor safe" storage situation for folks here to better understand exactly what it is that is the problem--- and what you want to accomplish.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021

If the cold air by the floor is cooling the safe and the guns, you will have to wrap the whole safe. Before doing that, a neoprene pad under the safe might work. Amazon sells stuff like that.

Why not housebreak the dog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom