• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since we have a lot of people who are new to the world of prepping, guns, and hunting I thought a thread on how to process game might be appropriate. If you are one of those who are new to this remember to watch the video enough to memorize what is going on because when the SHTF you may not have the ability to go look up on the internet what you need to do.

If anyone finds other good videos or other resources for game preparation please post them.

Last edited:

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    If you just read the thread title I guess the answer is

I put it in the sink with warm water, a little dawn dish soap, towel dry and then blow dry the tail. Then I give it a snack and let it go.

Otherwise I am no help to you.

Terps2003

MDS Supporter
    Feb 14, 2023
    Baltimore County

I put it in the sink with warm water, a little dawn dish soap, towel dry and then blow dry the tail. Then I give it a snack and let it go.

haha, one way to think about it. Just cut a little slit between the tail and butt, lay it on the ground, step on tail, and then pull up on the back legs. skin comes right off.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville

I agree 100%, you need to blow dry the tail for a proper job.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Johnson's Baby Shampoo is better than Dawn for cleaning squirrels.

As for giving it a snack, don't offer it a cookie or it might ask for a glass of milk.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I’ve always tried the slitting and stepping on the tail when skinning these rat bastards. Sometimes I pull the squirrel in half, which is no bueno. It just depends on the surgical quality of the preparatory cuts you make on the rear inside of the legs and the abdomen.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Seriously, what does it taste like? Is it very gamey? Are there cooking methods that can mitigate some of that?
    Have you ever eaten rabbit? It’s pretty darn good. It tastes a lot like rabbit, only chewier, it’s a very tough meat. I recommend using the Croc Pot and simmering it for a while.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Attachments

• 19847BF8-0B8C-4BFA-B3F5-6C414B9AD06A.gif
      19847BF8-0B8C-4BFA-B3F5-6C414B9AD06A.gif
      2.3 MB · Views: 41

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Have you ever eaten rabbit? It’s pretty darn good. It tastes a lot like rabbit, only chewier, it’s a very tough meat. I recommend using the Croc Pot and simmering it for a while.
    A pressure cooker might tenderize it, too. I've had muskrat. The chef managed to get rid of the gamey taste by flashing the meat in scalding hot bacon fat. I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I’ve always tried the slitting and stepping on the tail when skinning these rat bastards. Sometimes I pull the squirrel in half, which is no bueno. It just depends on the surgical quality of the preparatory cuts you make on the rear inside of the legs and the abdomen.
    I have never been able to get that to work. I cut a slit above the front shoulders, get my fingers in there and pull. The cut the four feet and head off.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    My grandmother always made pot pies with squirrel and rabbit. In that context it reminded me of dark chicken meat.
    That's how I've cooked mine also. As far as skinning, sometimes stepping on the tail worked sometimes it didn't. I remember one time taking a bicycle pump with the ball adapter, slipping it under the skin and pumping. It was something I remember reading that was supposed to separate the skin from the meat. It worked until the separation reached the bullet hole then the air just leaked out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seriously, what does it taste like? Is it very gamey? Are there cooking methods that can mitigate some of that?
    Squirrel is not very gamey. It’s more flavorful than dark meat chicken, though as mentioned can be a little tougher. Crock pots are good for squirrel. Sous Vide for 12-24 hours can really tenderize it. We also do pot pie.

If you want a traditional American dish, Brunswick stew has traditionally been made with squirrel, among other meats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom